Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowHawk

Oct 28, 2017
England
I doubt a lot of people here have a lot of experience working with major corporations / complex products. I think that's even the case for a lot of adults who are years into careers. So there can be a lack of perspective.

I am aligned with you BTW, outside of Xbox 'dying'. MS has been driving subscription based services everywhere... Quite different than Sony.

I think you're right there's a lack of perspective when it comes to business.

Also I didn't mean to say that the xbox brand was dying. It's obviously in a healthy position, I just meant that the xbox one console isn't doing to great compared to the ps4 and the switch.

I can also guarantee if the xbox one was selling better than the ps4 then it would have more exclusive timed dlc or games.

Jan 21, 2019
From a business perspective maybe it is not as silly as you think it is, because Playstation is pushing very hard, and it certainly feels like a business war.

In the end, the less aggressive you are, the more support your competitor gains.

I take that over creating a rabid fanbase that destroys their playstation because a game is ported to PC. You reap what you sow and companies shouldn't deal with these shitty tricks to raise brand loyalty to toxic levels.

Oct 25, 2017
They're businesses. Competitiveness is the natural power play in oligopolies even if it isn't intentional.

That is true, guess we'll just have to wait and see.
I know they're businesses. It just seems like you're trying to apply something noble here with your distinction. All those companies want to be the popular kid. They all engage in this. Just look back on Phil's tweet about UE5 and HB2. He was intentionally being ambiguous there because they wanted some of the spotlight too.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
No.
Console wars are silly and I think Phil has a great attitude about how games are for everyone.
Berating the competing company isn't in line with that same attitude.

I'd rather games be celebrated and shared as a common medium for us to enjoy and not constantly be a pissing contest between brands and their minions.

Perfect first post.

Console wars need to die and stay in the past. We're all gamers and enjoy the same hobby. I prefer Spencers less cut throat approach to marketing and PR

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
No.
Console wars are silly and I think Phil has a great attitude about how games are for everyone.

I'd rather games be celebrated and shared as a common medium for us to enjoy and not constantly be a pissing contest between brands and their minions.
This. A lot of Phil's message reminds me of Reggie flipping conventional Nintendo wisdom on its head by specifically targeting non gamers. Not to say that MS is doing anything like nintendo to win the hearts of non gamers, just in the sense he seems to be inclusive and wants people to play games together. It's not about sales figures or review scores, it's did we make a game that people liked and did we make it available to as many people as we could.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think Sony do agree with Steve Job's approach as they are being very aggressive to make sure PS is your main console (even if they have that "nice guy" persona) and I honestly think they are hurting Xbox a lot with their aggressive exclusive deals. I would also say that Steve took that approach because he wasn't in a position to beat Microsoft in their playing field.

But when Apple became a much stronger company, Steve Jobs was certainly very aggressive when competing with Samsung, trying to prevent them from selling products in the US market altogether. so this is also something to think about. maybe he didn't want to ignore the competition, maybe he was forced to do that.
You're right.

The wild part is, Apple didn't need to do that, be so aggressive.

The iPhone outsold the previous model every year until recently. Despite what Samsung was doing. But yeah, I forgot about that side of Apple, lol.

I was just thinking about how they shifted focus from market share to profits after Android got huge.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
All that I want to see from Phil next generation is this: give your studios the time to prove how good they are.

Nov 20, 2019
ilZ6O2K.png
rofl.

TheJollyCorner

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Spencer needs to stop tap-dancing on glass eggshells and drop an epic late 1980's WWF caliber promo. Complete with Macho Man ski goggles!

Oct 26, 2017
His approach is fine. Why does everything have to come down to consoles sold? It's better with three consoles that provide different things, unlike the PS2 where we basically got the same on all three formats. Xbox is a great value if you want 80% of the games for a lower price, while Playstation and Switch have more exclusives but worse deals.

Mollymauk

Oct 27, 2017
Phil has been very aggressive

Better hardware
Better services
Enormous investment in 1st party studios

Phil is breaking the bank on next gen, and we will start to see the return on those investments soon
Saying you want his demeanor to be more aggressive is silly

OP
OP

Deleted member 57990

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 18, 2019
I've really shown my ass by starting this thread and I apologise. I swear I've asked a mod to close it, because it's only going to degenerate into console war nonsense (which I admit is entirely my fault).

It was based on a misguided premise. Phil should keep on keeping on, and leave the console war to the idiots. He loves games, we love games, let's leave it at that.

Really looking forward to the debut of the PS5, and the Xbox Series X first party showcase. A new generation is imminent, and that's a cause for celebration.

Oct 25, 2017
It is very strange to ask a person to change their personality to improve the fate of your preferred video game platform.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
PS4 install base advantage gave favorable marketing deals to Sony every time. Nothing Phil could do. Going into next gen Sony is going to create a 'soft landing' for PS4 owners via BC and probably a price advantage over the SX. An 'aggressive' move from Microsoft would be to subsidize and match the price of PS5. I don't think their online streaming or subscription offerings are a strong differentiator for them. Nothing speaks to gamers better than price and big fresh popular games. Microsoft will get some of those games but not all. Their 1st party studios just aren't as strong. But they have the strongest box by a couple metrics so coming in with price parity would be their only aggressive move I can see.

Joo

May 25, 2018
Genuine question for more die hard Xbros.
Why is Xbox "winning" over anything (ex. PlayStation) such a deadset goal for you? Xbox is in a great place all things considered, shouldn't you be happy?
I'm thinking this too.

There's just so many comments on this thread about MS's infinite war chest and how they should buy every big developer out there just so people could feel better about their purchase. Why does it matter so much? You will get those games anyway from those same publishers. They definitely aren't buying any major third party studios or any public company.

These same people talk all the time how anti-consumer it is to have timed exclusives. That's just how it is sometimes, we can't do anything about it and it's just silly to somehow take it personally. It's just business and you're free to buy whichever console you like. Go and buy PS5 if it has the games you wanna play.

Something like a marketing deal just isn't a big deal. It's just one tiny part of marketing a console. Like in any kind of marketing, Sony just probably gets better deals than MS at the moment as they have a much bigger customer base. This is a very basic principle.

For the same amount of money, EA has the marketing targeted to substantially more potential customers for FIFA on PlayStation than on Xbox. And as we know, This still doesn't matter too much as whatever console has sold more will sell more copies of any game also.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
As an xbox only gamer I'm perfectly fine with the way Microsoft have been handling things, I really don't care about sales figures, exclusive marketing deals or game engines shown on one particular console.

Can't wait to see what Microsoft have to offer next gen.

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
OP reads kind of like a political op-ed. "Is Phil Spencer weak on crime? We need a fighter!"

All of Spencer's moves around PC have made me happy.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
No.

That's such an obvious loser's speech

It's easy to advocate for the lack of exclusivity when your company's firt party exclusives have been missing or being disappointing for years

Phil's speech is a reflection of Xbox hardware low sales and lacking first party software output

He doesn't want to compete because he realised that he can't compete

This is the right strategy for the moment, but you can bet that if MS takes the lead next gen, this mentality would change quickly

And competition is awesome for the players, so I really hope that the studios acquisitions and etc. results in more games from MS in the future

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Viral spread. I've been spreading the demo to all my younger cousins and telling them how amazing the graphics look on PS5. And then they proceed to post on their insta, tic too, SC media.

Please show me these unreal engine tech demo posts on tiktok because that sounds like something said by someone who has no idea what the platform is

Kyry

Oct 27, 2017
The best thing Spencer has going for him is that he seems genuine. The moment he gets super competitive with one hand and points out how much he wants to play Last of Us 2 with the other he'll lose that and will just look like another paid suit.

T0kenAussie

Banned
Jan 15, 2020
He needs to, for starters, get back the Call of Duty co-marketing deal - the way CoD went from being utterly synonymous with Xbox last gen, to where it's now an afterthought compared to the Playstation version is just... unfathomable.

He should acknowledge that overhyping the Inside Xbox "Next Gen Gameplay Reveal" was a mistake, and pledge that we'll get what we wanted to see in the June first party showcase (assuming that's true).

He should start to try to compete directly with Playstation, because at the moment it's like they're not even playing the same sport.
a few thoughts on these points.
Phil doesn't like third party marketing that excludes the community. He's happy to attach his brand to great games but in the age of cross platform gaming splitting the player base is a double edged sword.
cod marketing is also interesting, under ms they only paid to get map packs early for 30 days. Now Sony seems to pay for whole modes or most likely Activision is making modes and content to sell in exclusive marketing deals. They did it to destiny aswell. In that scenario where the content is made to be sold as an exclusive and it's not a platform holder gating then I hope MS just opens the cheque book

the first party showcase is going to be a banger and it will be in july. I think they know this is the one to sell the ecosystem beyond the first few years so we are going to get a huge slate of announcements for the next 5 years

as much as some people want to compare them directly. Xbox and PlayStation aren't direct competitors anymore, they for sure are business rivals but they have their philosophies which deviate from each other. Sony focuses on hardware and then invests in games to sell that hardware. It's why the first party feels the same from a gameplay perspective (third person over the shoulder action adventure) but they make stories and visuals the top priority. Xbox is a software and services company now with hardware to execute the best performance they can fit into a console. It's why their releases are so different visually and gameplay wise, they want to cast a wide net for gamepass subs and live accounts.It's why they sent cuphead and ori to switch to grow live accounts and why they now are working on integrating PC into their software and services.
No one can tell you which philosophy is the right one right now only time will tell

Tomo815

Banned
Jul 19, 2019
Microsoft should buy Sega, Nintendo, Sony, PlatinumGames, Capcom, Square-Enix, Konami and Bandai Namco. I think they can afford it. THEN they will dominate the industry like they do with Window.

Deleted member 67920

alt account
Banned
May 1, 2020
Many would not be pleased if Microsoft did the same deals like the FFVII Remake or Street Fighter V. Third party deals have always existed yet Sony gets less flack for it.

There is some truth to this, but Microsoft is not some struggling little company, so I'm not going to feel bad for them. It's not like they haven't earned the ill will of people in the past, even if they're a very different company today.

Fortunately for them, the gaming industry is one where throwing money at the problem, even creative ones, is often a viable strategy.

MS have been doing that so I'm not complaining.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
That's such an obvious loser's speech

It's easy to advocate for the lack of exclusivity when your company's firt party exclusives have been missing or being disappointing for years

Phil's speech is a reflection of Xbox hardware low sales and lacking first party software output

He doesn't want to compete because he realised that he can't compete

This is the right strategy for the moment, but you can bet that if MS takes the lead next gen, this mentality would change quickly

And competition is awesome for the players, so I really hope that the studios acquisitions and etc. results in more games from MS in the future
I spent almost 1400 hours this gen playing Microsoft Exclusive Age of Empires II HD (my game of the decade). Your argument is invalid.

Phil is competing for larger stakes than mere hardcore console market. Because that brings Microsoft more money in the long run.

It's the winning move, because he's rewriting the rules of competition into format that favours Microsoft. And we all get amazing value and services (BC, GamePass) out of it.

The only ones who feel this is a "loss" are those who can't let go of console wars and need them to validate their choice of entertainment box.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft should buy all PS5 launch units and burn them.
Welcome to a special fall edition of Inside Xbox. Tonight we're going to stream from every country in the world where we'll smash every PS5 on camera that we can get hold of. And we're doing this all for you in the name of ruthless aggression, OP!

Status
Not open for further replies.