CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
This was one of the best Playstation online experiences I have ever had. I pprobably put 1000 hours or something into Socom 2, 3, Combined Assault, on the PS2, and Confrontation on the PS3, I have not played a competitive shooter that was as tactical and hardcore as Socom, whether it be on the PS2, or even the PS3. It is a shame that the PS3 online hack ruined Socom 4 (aside from it being somewhat different from the traditional take on the series. The games had the best maps and modes, in my opinion. There was nothing as tactical again, aside from the standard shooters that are somewhat faster paced like Call of Duty, Halo, Counter Strike, etc.

I hope we get Socom again one day, whether it be in the style of PUBG or Fortnite Battle Royal, or more like the 8V8 or 16V16 from the past, I think there is room for that gameplay and online on PS4. There is a spiritual successor called H-Hour Worlds Elite that will begin PS4 development in March of 2018, but it will likely not have the support a Playstation first party title would have. A 2017 SOCOM game would be supported very well I think. It is too bad that Zipper Interactive is not around anymore and that MAG was not as successful.

Do you think there is a chance at a revival? A man can hope. A place like PSX or Paris Games Week would be perfect. I think Playstation is in a great place regarding amount of software content, but there is also room for a SOCOM game.

Who knows, maybe they turn the core gameplay into an evolution of PUBG lol.

CozMick

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was duped into thinking ghost recon wildlands PvP was an alternative successor.......

Twas a lie :(

At this point I would take a confrontation remaster.

L.E.D.

Oct 27, 2017
Love the socom series but I think it's dead and not coming back. Shame cause I loved the shit out of Socom 2.

Isn't zipper and slant six dead?

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the only way I see that being successful is if they turn it into a PUBG clone but by the time it would finish developing there would be a million of them and it could end up like Lawbreakers.

OP
OP
CRIMSON-XIII

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I just think the 2017 and 2018 environment as far as online games is a lot better. It would do good and there is room with the PS first party titles. Sony can definitely get another first party studio to focus. They haven't had a military shooter aside from PS VRs Bravo Team that comes out this December. I think there is room for one.

TBH, they should do SOCOM confrontation from PS3, with a fresh paint job as a core base game, and expand from there with support and maps. Sort of pick up where things left off but call it just SOCOM US NAVY SEALS.

PurestGamer78

Oct 27, 2017
I don't even need a new one I'd be happy with a well done remaster. To this day Socom is my most played MP game.

Lost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love SOCOM. I hope it happens. Confrontation, while fun, was pretty trash. Felt like an alpha build.

Darvan

Oct 27, 2017
Nevada
I thought some of the dev's from SOCOM had a game coming out that was kickstarted I think it was called H-Hour I believe they had console as well as PC

BuBu Jenkins

Oct 27, 2017
Yes! SOCOM by far was my biggest online addiction along with PSO on DC. So many countless hours playing it and the memories of popping off after taking out an entire team alone or raging when on the terrorist team getting cheap killed by an asshole camper with his silenced m4a1 which only the seals had access to. memorable maps like abandoned, frostfire, desert glory, and rats nest and all there chokepoints, sniper spots, and camping areas remain fresh in my mind still after all these years.

OP
OP
CRIMSON-XIII

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Yes! SOCOM by far was my biggest online addiction along with PSO on DC. So many countless hours playing it and the memories of popping off after taking out an entire team alone or raging when on the terrorist team getting cheap killed by an asshole camper with his silenced m4a1 which only the seals had access to. memorable maps like abandoned, frostfire, desert glory, and rats nest and all there chokepoints, sniper spots, and camping areas remain fresh in my mind still after all these years.
all the maps dude, combined assault had like 40 total with the previous games maps included eventually. It was an epic game all around. The best maps and modes ever in a shooter.

Confrontation was perfect in the HD era , making some of the maps bigger too.

H-Hour has some oldies re-created by the community

Deleted member 11157

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I get happy anytime there's a SOCOM thread, but it's never coming back. SOcom 4 being released right as the psn blackout for an extended period killed the game and any chance of another game. And I think SOcom 4 only barely got made due to the orevious game, SOcom Confrontation being not fucking playable for the longest time when it launched.

Socom after the ps2 was a miracle baby each time. Never happening and it makes me sad and I sucked at Socom.

BuBu Jenkins

Oct 27, 2017
all the maps dude, combined assault had like 40 total with the previous games maps included eventually. It was an epic game all around. The best maps and modes ever in a shooter.

Confrontation was perfect in the HD era , making some of the maps bigger too.

H-Hour has some oldies re-created by the community

Yup unfortunately the series declined for me by SOCOM 3 and i just lost interest afterwards and never bothered with any of the followups, wish i gave them a shot back during their peaks.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
I think if youre going to do another military shooter, it has to have something that separates itself from the rest. I think by this point that you have to be groundbreaking to enter that market, or you have the chance of drowning.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
While MAG is irrelevant to SOCOM, another MAG would be appreciated.

I always thought of MAG as a spiritual successor to SOCOM, but I suppose it is irrelevant, that was my bad.

On the point of SOCOM being introduced again as a battle royale type game, that's honestly a great idea. If SONY were to ever dabble in the battle royale genre on their own, SOCOM seems to be the brand for it.

The thing is, who would develop such a game?

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
That's such a hard market to crack into these days, especially with an IP that hasn't really been relevant in 10 years. It's a pretty big risk to sink the kind of money necessary to make and maintain that kind of game.

OP
OP
CRIMSON-XIII

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Yup unfortunately the series declined for me by SOCOM 3 and i just lost interest afterwards and never bothered with any of the followups, wish i gave them a shot back during their peaks.
COmbined Assault after 3 was a lot better than 3 , it was the game that included everytrhing basically, from S1-3 plus new., and ita had amazing campaign and spec ops coop with different difficulty. so much replayability./

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As long as the original versions of Crossroads, Frostfire, and Desert Glory return I'll be happy.

ThaNotoriousSOD

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would absolutely love a SOCOM return. Even a remastered online only Socom 2 HD would be terrific. Those first two games were special, I think they would be great in the esports realm. I wish Sony would just give it a shot :(

D23

Oct 25, 2017
What I would do to have socom back again.

Give me desert glory, blizzard, frostfire and crossroads.

No noob tube.

G^^

Hounds

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see this happening honestly. The market doesn't seem to need it as much as it once did and I not sure if the brand holds as much weight as it once did. If it were to release there'd be the problem of catering to modern audiences or giving players the experiences they once had. A direction somewhere in the middle might not please anyone. I hope I'm wrong.

Emrober5

Oct 27, 2017
As much as I would love it, Socom 3 was terrible, Confrontation felt like a fan made game, and 4 lost everything Socom was...I just don't know if they can recapture the magic that was socom 1 and 2.

Honestly I'd just want a SOCOM 2 HD.

OP
OP
CRIMSON-XIII

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
As much as I would love it, Socom 3 was terrible, Confrontation felt like a fan made game, and 4 lost everything Socom was...I just don't know if they can recapture the magic that was socom 1 and 2.

Honestly I'd just want a SOCOM 2 HD.
Confrontation was better than nothing.

Socom 2 HD would be sick but at that point, combined assault HD would have maps from socom 2, 3 and CA . id rather get that, considering all the Socom 2 maps eventually hit it

ThaNotoriousSOD

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What I would do to have socom back again.

Give me desert glory, blizzard, frostfire and crossroads.

No noob tube.

G^^

The maps in Socom 1 & 2 were amazing. To think Socom 2 launched with 22 maps... all of them so well designed. It's really something we took for granted, you just don't get something like that anymore. I think the fact that each map was designed with a specific game mode in mind is also a big reason why they were soooo good. It really made it so you didn't end up with generic map design.

Agent_Tiro

Oct 26, 2017
I was part of the EU psn online beta test on the PS2 and with it I got SOCOM to play. I played the hell out of that game, was briefly ranked number 1 on the leaderboards (biased towards time played rather than ability back in those days) and was part of the creation of the European SOCOM league and leader of one of the prominent clans in that and gamebattles back in the day.

I heavily played SOCOM 2 as well. But I honestly think time has moved on so much that the type of game it was would never work these days. The one life and your out system wouldn't appeal to the masses who are used to respawn, shoot, die, respawn, shoot, die repeatedly.

If it moved to a PUBG style then I think there are already plenty of options which it would struggle to compete against.

If they remade 1 or 2 I would buy it in an instant. But I doubt I would play it for more than a week before getting bored.

ThaNotoriousSOD

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see this happening honestly. The market doesn't seem to need it as much as it once did and I not sure if the brand holds as much weight as it once did. If it were to release there'd be the problem of catering to modern audiences or giving players the experiences they once had. A direction somewhere in the middle might not please anyone. I hope I'm wrong.

Respectfully, I don't buy the market argument at all. Look at Seige, tactical intimate round based shooter that has excelled this gen on consoles. If you look at any thread about ghost recon PVP, it's filled with people disappointed it's not more like Socom.

Do I think SOCOM would do huge numbers like Destiny or COD? No I don't, but I would hope that's not the standard for games. I really think the market is actually ripe for a new SOCOM that takes a GaaS model and caters to the e-Sports crowd. If anything, if was really before it's time in that sense.

ThaNotoriousSOD

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
2 modes,

the classic 8v8 or 16v16 from confrontation with contained maps ,

and a PUBG mode

A battle royal mode would certainly be interesting. 25 seal teams of 4.. but that's probably a much more expensive game to make. I'm telling you if they just threw a SOCOM 2 HD online only on the PSN for 29.99.. a lot of people would be happy to jump in.

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
The answer to this question depends entirely on who's making the game, and frankly, I think all of the devs who were passionate about SOCOM--i.e., Zipper--are defunct.

ThaNotoriousSOD

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
^ yeah I can see the dev situation being a big part of the problem as well. They tried giving it to Slant Six for Confrontaion, that was essentially supposed to be an effort to return to the Socom 1/2 glory and it really was a disaster in many ways.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I loved played 8v8 in Combined Assault. The larger maps with vehicles and stuff usually weren't that good, but the game had the best shooting in the series so the 8v8 maps were classic.

Andokuky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, ex-Zipper guys said Sony pushed them to dumb down SOCOM 4 and make it more CoD like, so would you even trust Sony to try SOCOM again? About the only thing I think would work is a cheap, MP only remaster/port of SOCOM II or something. And then Sony would have to add DLC or loot boxes somehow, so who knows.

First two were amazing, generation defining MP games imho. Once David Sears left, the franchise kind of went to trash. Never should have moved past 8v8 imho.

ThaNotoriousSOD

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I loved played 8v8 in Combined Assault. The larger maps with vehicles and stuff usually weren't that good, but the game had the best shooting in the series so the 8v8 maps were classic.

Combined Assualt and SOCOM 4 were the only games I never bought in the series. I still stand by my decision with 4, but I do wish I gave CA a try.