aloner

Jun 30, 2021
Australia
I did find some of the criticism of Cal/Cameron Monaghan in Fallen Order on here/the internet at large edged on personal attacks of the actor, in this case - not so much - the thread pretty specifically refers to his design/styling/model and I don't think anyone's said anything about Duhamel personally

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
So I assume there was something you didn't like in my post and this wasn't just an attempt to write in morse code?

I mean, we are approaching an era where we see a Japanese video game company spend millions to make a AAA action game starring a black woman. Has that ever happened before? I can see things only improving from there when it comes to diversity in videogames.
It's the implication that it won't be long until we reach some reasonable amount of parity in representation. I'm probably going to die before that actually happens.

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I assume there was something you didn't like in my post and this wasn't just an attempt to write in morse code?

I mean, we are approaching an era where we see a Japanese video game company spend millions to make a AAA action game starring a black woman. Has that ever happened before? I can see things only improving from there when it comes to diversity in videogames.

Yeeeeeeeah you don't get to use Forspoken to support the argument that people should just shut up and not criticize the status quo. Does it annoy you to have people call out the overrepresentation of white characters? Because Joel is a GOAT (after Arthur Morgan)? Why do games like Forspoken even exist? Because people are pushing for more diversity in gaming. If you think we're ANYWHERE close to equal representation then I really, really don't know what to tell you.

Also, just fyi, ain't no one "screaming" at this character. Don't come in here with that bullshit as if folks aren't engaging in actual intellectual conversations.

Gunman

Aug 19, 2020
Video-Game-Protagonists-Brown-Haired-White-Guys.jpg

Reminded me of this

Shepherd is based on a real person, therefore he can't be generic!

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
All I could think of when I saw cal kestis was the joker from Gotham. Kept waiting for his boring ass to become interesting and he never did 🤣

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
A lot of those characters are nothing alike though. They're all white guys sure but Michael from GTA5, Nathan Drake and Big Boss are completely different characters from their look, down to the voice direction and backstory.

Action heroes are typically well built and have strong jaws, whether it's Denzel Washington or Tom Cruise
Yeah, while alot of those characters do have similar features, Alan Wake, Sheppard and the Painkiller dude are nothing alike. If upgraded from a technological standpoint alone, most of these designs would be more diverse than the meme gives them credit for.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I am listening to the Callisto Protocol podcast/radio drama... It really just made me want Gwendoline Christy as a main character.

Oticon

Oct 30, 2017
I didn't think he looked generic at all. I immediately could tell who the actor was. Tbh that's kinda like the opposite of generic.

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
Oke as a person of color, we should quit calling every white character generic. Dont act stupid like there isnt any differences in white characters there facial features.
And its pretty insulting to say someone looks generic when its an actually persons face. Imagine saying these things about black of asian characters.

Risev

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
I think him looking generic is fine in the context of the game, based on what I've played so far at least. He's supposed to be a regular delivery man who's just in the wrong place at the wrong time. He's also shaved in prison precisely to make him more or less indistinguishable from other prisoners.

Sloth Guevara

Oct 27, 2017
Oke as a person of color, we should quit calling every white character generic. Dont act stupid like there isnt any differences in white characters there facial features.
And its pretty insulting to say someone looks generic when its an actually persons face. Imagine saying these things about black of asian characters.

Bro, I wish that was the case.
I mean the handsome white dude actor who is probably called Chris is a meme at this point.
We are grown ass adults here and many have seen this flavor way to fucking mush.

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
Bro, I wish that was the case.
I mean the handsome white dude actor who is probably called Chris is a meme at this point.
We are grown ass adults here and many have seen this flavor way to fucking mush.

Back in the day i agree, but the tech now in pretty advanced with mocap. If i see characters now they look really different even in the same race.
If we are talking about the 360/ps3 era and even a few years ps4/xbox one, yeah most white characters look the same. It started with the gears of war buff white marine dude. And every fucking game copied this look back then.

I_love_potatoes

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 6, 2020
Honestly, I wish Karen Fukuharas character was the main character in the game instead.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
As far as representation goes there's two factors people need to take into account, first, most devs in the West are white and male and second, there's definitely a believe that most hardcore gamers (i.e. people who buy more than just CoD or FIFA) are also white and male, so, consciously or subconsciously this is the group pubs and devs are trying to cater to because they think it makes more sense from the business perspective. And that's not going to change anytime soon. This is why it's a bit sad to read that someone like Rami Ismail, a prominent POC, Muslim dev, doesn't think that it's his job to make a protagonist representing his culture. Like, he's not wrong, but at this point it means nobody is going to do it.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Im already at the point where I'm bored of AAA games hiring movie and TV actors for mocapping and making big announcements about it like all the shit Kojima does.

The gaming industry had years to add more diverse characters to gaming and they mostly blew it, and now we are just going to get a bunch of famous white people

(And we won't be allowed to comment on it because they are real people)

Last edited:

Art_3

Banned
Aug 30, 2022
Bland visual design could be made up for with an interesting personality, or by having the character wrestle with moral or psychological issues. Does the game get into any of that?
I remember the threads when the main character of Red Dead 2 was revealed,probably the biggest turnaround the internet had on a character.
RDR2's writing saved what might've been one of the most generic looking characters of all time.
RJK52Z.jpeg

Deleted member 93841

User-requested account closure
Banned
Mar 17, 2021
Diversity in gaming is one of the most important issues the medium faces. We can advocate for that without commenting on a real individual person's appearance. That feels like common courtesy to me, even if you feel it's not a disparaging remark.

We need less straight white male protagonists, we need much more representation of other ethnicities, genders, and sexualities. We need a greater variety of all kinds of diversity represented. This is indisputable. That's what I'm focused on.

As for this game particularly, they couldn't have possibly made something less applicable to my personal interests, so I have no investment in the success or failure of it.

Calling a character based on a real actor generic is not an insult on the actor's looks. We've been through this a few times in this thread.

We've got certain physical traits that we consider generic, in this case a gruff middle-aged white male with a shaven head, but somehow we're only allowed to call that particular look generic when the character is completely fictional? That line of reasoning makes no sense whatsoever.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember the threads when the main character of Red Dead 2 was revealed,probably the biggest turnaround the internet had on a character.
RDR2's writing saved what might've been one of the most generic looking characters of all time.
RJK52Z.jpeg
Much of his appearance is up to the player though. You can have him be a crazy looking mountain man if you want.

maxresdefault.jpg

Deleted member 93841

User-requested account closure
Banned
Mar 17, 2021
The word "generic" has lost all meaning.

Sounds fitting in this context to me.

lacking imagination or individuality; predictable and unoriginal.

It's unbelievable that people miss this point. How dense are these motherfuckers lol

I don't know how much of it is people being dense, people not taking the time to actually read the OP or how much of it is just straight-up disingenuous trolling.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Im already at the point where I'm bored of AAA games hiring movie and TV actors for mocapping and making big announcements about it like all the shit Kojima does.

Games having known actors in them really does nothing for me tbh
For 5 secs I'm like "Oh, that's the guy from Transformers" and then carry on with the game.

Unless having licensed characters is a vital part of the game's appeal (annual sports games, movie tie ins, etc) I'd prefer if they hired some starving actor/actress for a fraction of the cost and spent the money elsewhere.
On the kinda funny podcast they said Callisto doesn't have anything besides the campaign, not even NG+ atm.

Maybe that Duhamel money would have been better spent on a coop horde mode or sth, would make the game more appealing to me as a consumer than having Duhamel in it.

*I obvioulsy don't know shit about how any of this works, this is just my POV

HeavenlyOne

The Fallen
Nov 30, 2017
Your heart
Changing the ethnicity of the main character would be good for diversity in representation, but it doesn't make a character inherently more interesting.

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
It does hearken back to the not-so-good old days of this

Video-Game-Protagonists-Brown-Haired-White-Guys.jpg

but then with the way Jacob's written, he wouldn't be an interesting character even if they did cast a different actor

jawzpause

Nov 7, 2017
Ye he reminds me of that main guy from infamous, boring and generic looking. Could have come up with such a cooler looking guy

Dec 2, 2020
Is that an in game screenshot? 😮

I feel like we've had a massive improvement in terms of more diverse lead characters over the past five years so I now don't mind the odd rugged white male in the lead role of an action game but I don't want to see it become even 25% of leads again.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
That's a superficial way to look at things.
If one hasn't long white hair or something it is labeled to look generic.
In other words: normal, real things are viewed as generic nowadays.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I feel like people are misconstruing the term Generic to mean they are ugly or plain and that it's insulting to the actor.
Its more about the casting decision to cast the same general archetype of gruff white male protagonists that we have seen so many times.

Pulp

Nov 4, 2017
I certainly think he looks generic, but if he is the most generic I cant say for sure. I also havent played the game yet, so I cant really comment on this characters depth. I will say that I think it sucks that we in general dont get more fleshed out and interesting characters. Why is it more often than not some male soldier looking type in these survival games. Part of what made Alien Isolation great was that you were not some person with military training and that made it more relatable, even if it obviously is a science fiction game set in space. If you look at for example the first Watch Dogs game, one of my biggest caveats in that game was the bland protag. Granted the gameplay was nothing to write home about, but it would have been much better if the protag wasnt "just some guy". Looks are less important for me, but at least make the characters more interesting.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the guys is only missing cargo shorts, sunglasses and a pickup truck with a Trump flag.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
In other words: normal, real things are viewed as generic nowadays.

specially considering that we're talking about fictional media.... yeah?
am i taking crazy pills here

there's nothing wrong with bob from accounting but if bob was the protagonist of lord of the rings, he would be generic. thats not really a hard concept to grasp

Apr 12, 2021
Just beat the game yesterday and I realized I'm struggling to think of any POC in the game at all outside of the warden + your two side characters that help you throughout the game. Am I misremembering or are all of the inmates (and subsequently the mutated enemies we face in game) made up entirely of white people?

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017

there's nothing wrong with bob from accounting but if bob was the protagonist of lord of the rings, he would be generic. thats not really a hard concept to grasp
Imo his look is pretty consistent with the realistic, immersive nature what CP is going for. The thread makes it like he doesn't fit the role because he looks like a "generic" dude in this role. Most, if not all would look generic in such a role with such a premise.
Remember Kingdom Come Deliverance? The protagonist looked like a normal dude in the context of a real timeframe in european history, but he did get a lot of flak because reasons? Some people didn't like the look of him in this specific role, but that is a matter of tastes and no reason to get offensive.

To call someone to look generic in a role, even if the casting is not at someone tastes, is a bit offensive in my eyes.

I found Cal in Jedi Fallen Order pretty cool too. It's a matter of tastes if someone looks appropriate or "good" in a role or not.

Last edited:

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like people are misconstruing the term Generic to mean they are ugly or plain and that it's insulting to the actor.
Its more about the casting decision to cast the same general archetype of gruff white male protagonists that we have seen so many times.

I think this is interesting.

We here on ERA tend to be older, with more gaming experience than the mainstream and most of us would love to see more diversity in our hobby. But that isn't true for the vast majority out there playing games. They tend to be younger, have played less games overall and diversity is on the rise but still a coin toss. The majority of the western market is still white.

So the audience isn't nearly as fed up as we are with gruff mc'beardybaldy. And tbh the times have changed a bit for the better since the 360 days of character designs. This whole dilemma together with an industry that is very risk averse to not tank their own livelihoods won't stop with this less than creative casting.

Risev

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017

I think that's the point of both Dead Space and Callisto Protocol. Dead Space's protagonist is Isaac from Engineering and Callisto's is Jacob from shipping.

Last edited:

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I think that's the point of both Dead Space and Castillo Protocol. Dead Space's protagonist is Isaac from Engineering and Castillo's is Jacob from shipping.

If its the point to be generic then why are people in this thread pushing back about it being called generic?

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
i really, never expected Era to go up to arms to defend a standart white male, be he a real actor or not.