pjl93

Jun 2, 2020
NJ
I'm grasping at straws to find any representation with people of color in Nintendo does Mac count
Littlemac.jpg

Last edited:

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
When I first saw his redesign I assumed he was now latino, but discussions before have mentioned that he might be Italian-American.

I guess the only conclusion we can take is that race is a construct.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Italians used to be considered minorities at one time in this nation's history.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If you want main characters who are black, you've basically got Elma from xenoblade X and that's about it. They have numerous more create a characters that can be black or are even canonically black like the Octoling in Splatoon2:Octo expansion, and secondary characters in prominent positions like Dedue in Fire emblem three houses or Rodin in Bayonetta (which isn't really Nintendo, I suppose, which shows how I'm scraping the barrel...), And each xenoblade has at least one non-white party member...

As already said several times, it seems like Mac is based on a real life Italian American boxer.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Italians used to be considered minorities at one time in this nation's history.
No they didn't. Quit with this misinformation. There was ethnic discrimination but they were still considered White just at that time perceived as lower caste of Whiteness by WASPs. As an American historian said just view the history of racist laws and segregation. They did not apply to Italians, Irish, etc... and Italians and Irish marrying WASP's happened all the time and weren't breaking laws when interracial marriages were illegal.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Underdog Italian-American boxer is kind of a classic trope, so he's definitely leaning into that. And the guy they hired to play him in the commercials is pretty Italian, so, yeah.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Not really a major character but I randomly remembered this dude awhile back and considering the times it's even more of a shame they just dropped him for no reason at all. How funny would it be to have this guy show up masked in whatever new costume in each new Mario game?

www.mariowiki.com

Il Piantissimo

Il Piantissimo is a human disguised as a Pianta who appears in Super Mario Sunshine. His name is possibly a portmanteau of "Pianta" and "-issimo", or specifically "pianissimo", a dynamic marking in sheet music. The word "il" is an Italian definite...

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
LMAO!! @ Clay Davis being Little Mac's trainer.

Little Mac is clearly Italian and his shorts are even shouting out the culture. Maybe there will be a Lil Mac in the future.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
My running assumption was pretty much always that he was inspired primarily by Rocky Balboa.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
he's Italian, but his character is a throwback to when Italian people in the U.S. weren't considered white. So he's an honorary minority.

Please stop with this minority shit for Italian and Irish Americans. Yes they faced ethnic discrimination but did not legally face all the racist laws that applied to minorities.

I don't think merely acknowledging prejudice of Irish and Italian people in the U.S. is the same as equating their persecution to that faced by black and indigenous Americans.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
I too headcanon him being Latino. I'll accept Latino-Italian as well. In conclusion, Nintendo needs to be better at diversity.

I thought that was the case since seeing the Wii Punch-Out version.

Also, "In conclusion, Nintendo needs to be better at diversity" can go at the end of every Nintendo-related post tbf.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
he's Italian, but his character is a throwback to when Italian people in the U.S. weren't considered white. So he's an honorary minority.

I don't think merely acknowledging prejudice of Irish and Italian people in the U.S. is the same as equating their persecution to that faced by black and indigenous Americans.
Calling them minorities does and there's a history of people trying to conflate both of them to minimize what people of color have had to gone through in America.

DarkJ

Nov 11, 2017
I believe he is Italian American with a Mediterranean complexion from his Italian heritage.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
No they didn't. Quit with this misinformation. There was ethnic discrimination but they were still considered White just at that time perceived as lower caste of Whiteness by WASPs. As an American historian said just view the history of racist laws and segregation. They did not apply to Italians, Irish, etc... and Italians and Irish marrying WASP's happened all the time and weren't breaking laws when interracial marriages were illegal.
Mexicans were considered white under anti-miscegenation laws of the United States. Do they not count as POC either?

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I thought maybe he was Hispanic or Latino

He's not. Everything about Mac since the original punch out points to him being the stereotypical italian american underdog boxer (which makes sense considering the series is built on stereotypes). They even used Paulie Malignaggi, an actual italian american boxer, to play him in the ads for the Wii game. And if you want a cherry on top, look at what he was designed to look like in Super Punch Out.

hqdefault.jpg

If they actually meant for him to be hispanic, or latino, or anything else in anything outside of people's head canon, they would have made that much more explicit over the last 30 years.

Kongo B

Sep 8, 2019
Europe
As an Italian guy, Little Mac is our rep in the game. He is a white guy on the darker side of the spectrum, which is not an uncommon sight in this country. But a white guy nonetheless.

Now that I've contributed to the post, let me derail it for a second: the name Falco Lombardi implies that there are Italian people in the Starfox universe. And since earth is in a different galaxy, we're talking Space Italians here.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As an Italian guy, Little Mac is our rep in the game. He is a white guy on the darker side of the spectrum, which is not an uncommon sight in this country. But a white guy nonetheless.

Now that I've contributed to the post, let me derail it for a second: the name Falco Lombardi implies that there are Italian people in the Starfox universe. And since earth is in a different galaxy, we're talking Space Italians here.
Just gonna overlook Mario and Luigi like that?