• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which upcoming Silent Hill do you think will feature a Mary Elizabeth McGlynn song?

• Silent Hill 2 Remake

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Silent Hill 𝆑

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Silent Hill: Townfall

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Silent Hill: Ascension

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters

trimin

Oct 25, 2017
Been relistening to a lot of Mary Elizabeth McGlynn songs from past Silent Hill games. It's weird because I thought she had sung for all of them but her songs were first featured in Silent Hill 3 which is more recent than I remembered. It feels like she's been a staple of Silent Hill since the beginning. I haven't kept up with much news of the new SH projects and I was wondering if she'll be returning to any of them. I sure hope so. Maybe even feature a new song for Silent Hill 2. Also want to highlight some of my favorites.

Feel free to share what vocal tracks you've enjoyed from Silent Hill.

Never played Homecoming but this is one of my favorites:

View: https://youtu.be/W-F73PI9DNM?si=psCamD9H9GXA3PAP

View: https://youtu.be/nlDqHp_kWoQ?si=LIn2ZWnITwkWi8MJ

Zolbrod

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka, Japan
Wouldn't be surprised if she's in the Remake, even if the original game didn't have any songs with vocals.
I don't even care, I just want more Silent Hill. Any Silent Hill.

Coolsambob

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I'd expect it for at least Silent Hill 2, they still do the live stuff together

May 7, 2020
Unpopular opinion but I'd honestly hope not.

As cheesy as her tracks were on Silent Hill 3 IMO, the addition of a more pop-rock oriented soundtrack did somewhat make sense in tandem with exploring a teenaged Heather as a protagonist and could have worked - but unfortunately didn't for me.

However, Yamaoka decided to keep her around and as a result, so many of the vocal tracks from 4 onward just feel like an empty relaying of the game's respective themes without any underlying substance to them. My biggest (probably unfounded) worry for the SH2 remake is that Yamaoka decides to go back to the drawing board and writes a tasteless love ballad about a man in a strained marriage murdering his wife after she falls ill - and somehow not seeing what may be off about that.

Last edited:

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Still have yet to beat SH3/4 but am intimately familiar with their OSTs just because of her voice being so damn good. There's some kinda moody rock vibe that those songs have that's pretty unique. Here's hoping she does come back for at least one of those games.

TeraDax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Québec
I sure hope so. All Yamaoka song with her are among my favorite video games music.
Room of Angel, I Want Love, Hell Frozen Rain to name a few.

Even in the terrible Book of Memories, the reprise of Love Psalm is awesome.

pants

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Music and sound design never dipped off the way everything else did.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Her voice is perfect for Silent Hill honestly, You're Not Here is a classic and the rest of her vocals are usually very haunting and beautiful.

I don't know how I'd feel about her coming back for 2 remake, the theme song for SH2 is perfect without vocals, it's so iconic I don't see it needing a new version at all, I don't think vocals would add anything to it. I guess she doesn't have to do the main track and can do a supporting one… I just struggle to imagine any of SH2's OST with vocals.

Get her involved with the other games though 100%!