Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
I really really really..

..Really hate their new rating system. Its beyond useless.

It's designed to avoid having stuff get review bombed and thus less views. As Netflix moves away from licensed stuff, they don't actually want any sort of rating system because they want you to watch everything.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Nah people are trying to come after the market but they are way too late. The Disney streaming service will probably survive this time around just based on the content potential they have now but that DC/WB one will fail miserably. Amazon has an insanely awful interface that survives just based on being given away with amazon prime the content is dismal. HBO doesn't really offer enough content to be a competitor its very focused. Cable TV will continue to die. Hulu is decent now compared to a couple years ago but their video player and ui/search is trash. I do question Netflix decision to keep amounting debt but thats whats keeping them ahead.

Last edited:

Jeffolation

Shinra Employee
Oct 30, 2017
The lack of older titles available for streaming has always been a sticking point for me, still subscribed though.

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017
Nah, they still provide me with more original content I'm interested in than any other network. Arrested Development Season 5 is coming up, Bojack is still great, American Vandal was good, Dave Chappele put out some great stand up, 13 Reasons Why was an enjoyable trainwreck to hatewatch. It's also hard for me to make the "running shows into the ground" argument when they've given multiple shows a lengthier break than the usual one year (Stranger Things 2 had an 18 month turnaround instead of a year, House of Cards and Bojack both delayed their most recent seasons by a few months before airing, Arrested Development season 5 took 5 years). I think some shows declined in quality, but none of them felt like they were written to end earlier than they did (besides maybe House of Cards).

Their movie division needs to get up to par though.

OP
OP

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And this right here is why I disagree with you. I had the complete opposite opinion of you with those shows (except for House of Cards, which I can't actually agree with you since I never got far into the show to gauge the quality over time) Don't get me wrong, I am not a fan of all their original programming, however they're doing just enough to give me a reason to stay as a subscriber.
A lot of Netflix's high profile stuff is technically competent, they're filmed and edited well, they have great acting but they're boring. Almost as if they're meant to be listened to in the background while on another tab rather than watched in a home theater. American Vandal was great though, but that's like the last original program I watched all the way through.

null_

Oct 27, 2017
streaming other people's IPs was never going to last, and since they have some of the hottest and buzziest new programming i'm gonna say 'no'

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
They have a lot of quality programming. I'm enjoying the shit out of Dirty Money as I type this.

From Catching Monsters with my sons, to Ozark/Master of None with the wife, to Bojack on the bus...man I say they are doing damn fine for the small monthly fee I pay.

Not to mention I can watch an episode of TNG whenever I want.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
Hulu yes, HBO nah. HBO is available in most places in the world, with actual local offices in many regions. The problem is that HBO outside of the US operates by totally outdated rules of customer engagement. HBO Asia here does a great job of getting the content out at the same time, but their pricing and the fact that they have to meet censorship guidelines for the entire region here due to being a broadcaster makes the content worthless to people who want a lot of the content. On the other hand Netflix circumvents all the regulation guideline laws because they are specifically an on-demand only streaming service and can implement direct parental controls to not be subjected to broadcast guidelines. Lmao.
ok maybe the situation with HBO is better than I thought. Not available here in japan though which is a huge bummer. Also netflix here is surprisingly good, from what I've heard Japan has the biggest selection of content of all regions. Still sucks that many shows aren't available on any platform here.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
Decline? No. But I don't agree with this seeming new strategy of theirs to buy up studio castoffs and market them decently. No matter what they say, negative critical reception absolutely matters in the long term...just ask WB/DC.
They managed to market the hell out of The Cloverfield Paradox, but they can't do that kind of thing forever. They polished that turd nicely, the next one might just land with more of a splat. Original movies are neat, but I think they should really stick with lower budget fare rather than a blockbuster disappointment like Bright. They've had well received stuff, but none of it got anything like the coverage that Bright and Cloverfield Paradox got, and that's a real shame considering the lack of quality there.

Also, with Marvel shows, I think cutting down on the number of episodes would help things. 8-10 instead of 13...less filler, more killer.

Oct 26, 2017
I flip flop on this. Sometimes irritated that theyre less interested in retaining older shows as they pivot into more originals, but then realize I'm so bad at tackling any kind of back log that I probably wouldn't have gotten to those shows anyway.

hurroocane

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Lately however I've begun to notice some subtle changes into how Netflix handles their content for the worse.
-Most of their original programs are boring. Despite a few bright spots, shows like 13 Reasons Why and Altered Carbon are hard to watch beyond the first episode because they do a poor job grabbing my attention. Even their existing shows like Stranger Things and House of Cards are noticeably worse than when they first started.

Very subjective. Yeah their exlusive shows could be better but a lot of them are still really good. This isn't really directed at you but a lot of people seem to get sucked into a "all of this netflix content sucks" echo chamber. Ask anyone on Era or Reddit if they liked Iron Fist / Jessica Jones / Luke Cage and virtually 100% will say they absolutely hated it but somehow all of those series were successful enough to be renewed. It's hard to discuss since Netflix doesn't talk about viewership numbers but it seems like there is a gigantic silent majority of people who watch their stuff and are okay with it.

-Their handling of anime is atrocious, not only is the selection super tiny but they do a poor job with the licenses they exclusively got especially since they don't simulcast. Stuff like Little Witch Academia comes out months after it airs in Japan and by then all interest is lost since the show was more relevant earlier.

I guess it's getting better with Violet Evergarden getting simulcasts and stuff like Devilman getting complete series drops. I would also argue that a series doesn't become instantly uninteresting because it airs on Netflix after Japan.

-The competition has gotten way better. Hulu and Amazon not only keeps movies and TV in their back catalog longer but are catching up in original programming add that to HBO and eventually Disney with their massive amounts of content and Netflix starts to pales in comparison.

The competition isn't a real threat to Netflix and Amazon Prime unless they become international streaming services.

99Luffy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's designed to avoid having stuff get review bombed and thus less views. As Netflix moves away from licensed stuff, they don't actually want any sort of rating system because they want you to watch everything.
Makes sense. But it isnt working for me. I only watch things that get a buzz on on the internet, like at least one resetera ot thread. But before a 4-5 star show would catch my eye and I would try it out.

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
No. But their competitors are hunting for their balls, so they need to keep moving.

PaJeppy

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I like Netflix. Great service, good price. I like a lot of the content even if its a bit lacking at times.

I would say I don't care for the UI and feel it could benefit from a bit of an overhaul. Few too many times someone has told me to watch a show and I'm in disbelief it's on Netflix because I haven't seen it on there, and I'm on Netflix daily. Also, the rating system is garbage.

My wife unknowingly signed up for a year of Amazon prime. We recently downloaded the app and holy shit, why in the fuck can't I watch anything? 9/10 times I click on something to watch it just says it's not available in my region. Bullshit service.

Oct 25, 2017
streaming other people's IPs was never going to last, and since they have some of the hottest and buzziest new programming i'm gonna say 'no'

Yup. Also, once Disney pulls their massive catalogue from all other services for their own service, many of these streaming services are going to remain pretty barren. Netflix is being forward thinking with the amount of exclusive properties they are creating.

rancey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Netflix isn't in decline, it's only JUST coming into fruition in terms of content creation. Most of their shit has been godawful and it's only been in this past 2 years that any of it has even approached good. So no, no absolutely not and that's nonsense.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Amazon is has an insanely awful interface that survives just based on being given away with amazon prime the content is dismal.

Amazon's movie selection is actually OK. They have more blockbusters than HBO does in the US. Their film studio has put out a few decent things and has a better track record than Netflix at this point (Manchester By the Sea, Lost City of Z). Interface is trash though yeah but TBH Netflix isn't much better since they use the grocery store method of pushing you towards what they want you to watch. I use justwatch.com to search between services.

cryptoadam

Banned
Jan 2, 2018
If you like their original stuff then no.

If you like movies and tv series then yes it' in decline. Outside of originals content is too sparse and with the competition its only gettin worse.

OP
OP

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Netflix isn't in decline, it's only JUST coming into fruition in terms of content creation. Most of their shit has been godawful and it's only been in this past 2 years that any of it has even approached good. So no, no absolutely not and that's nonsense.
Most of their has always been good up until they took a quanity > quality apporach. They keep throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks which is really bad long term. I'd rather have them be associated with Bojack Horseman and Stranger Things Season 1 than Bright or the Cloverfield Paradox. Even if you think it's good right now it's best to raise these questions now because it's only going to get worse.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I feel like 2017 Netflix had the most insane lineup of great original shows that's ever graced a network/streaming service ever? HBO in the early 2000s comes close to rivaling it I suppose.

So nah, Netflix is on top in regards to television programming. Just the sheer amount of shows is insane.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
Title needs to change to 'I think Netflix content is in decline' as clicked expecting a data-driven conversation about churn, subs & profitability.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Most of their has always been good up until they took a quanity > quality apporach. They keep throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks which is really bad long term. I'd rather have them be associated with Bojack Horseman and Stranger Things Season 1 than Bright or the Cloverfield Paradox. Even if you think it's good right now it's best to raise these questions now because it's only going to get worse.
Well they have such a variety of shows and movies compared to anybody else that they actually offer you more than what you actually pay for every month.

Best bang for your buck

Tux_

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
No, In fact I think its bigger and better than ever.

I love quite a few of their original shows.

I DO wish they had a "worldwide content" option though. And some more original horror.

Deleted member 6949

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just scrolled through the Netflix Originals that were released in 2017 or had a new season in 2017, and I thought all of this stuff fell somewhere between good and great:

The Climb
Bojack
Win it All
A freaking Joan Didion doc for chrissake
Dark
Ozark
Glow
American Vandal
Mindhunter
I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore
Dave Chappelle
Voyeur
Jim and Andy The Great Beyond
Todd Barry
Gerald's Game
Tramps
Todd Glass
The Polka King
The Keepers
Easy
The Meyerowitz Stories
Castlevania
What Happened to Monday
The Punisher
Okja
A Futile and Stupid Gesture
Brian Regan
Our Souls At Night
Mystery Science Theater 3000
To the Bone
The Fucking Christmas Prince

They hyped up some pretty mediocre movies with Bright and Cloverfield, but they actually released a ton of other amazing content last year.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
You're just picking two examples you like vs two that you don't. During the "pre-decline" period Netflix released shows like Hemlock Grove, Real Rob, Flaked and The Ranch. Now I'll cherry pick good shows "post-decline" G.L.O.W ,Mindhunter, Master of None, Godless, The Crown,Ozark, Dark...

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
I watch Netflix primarily for the original content now. I used to watch old shit put out from other TV networks, so it has changed in that regard. Decline though? Nah. I do miss having always sunny, thats one where i can just put on any episode when bored and enjoy

Wafflinson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Their back catalogue is getting pretty sparse. While their original content is great, I don't think it can maintain this level of success on it alone.

Oct 25, 2017
You're on drugs. 2017 was the best year of Netflix original programming yet. The Crown, Glow, Dark, Ozark and Mindhunter would all make my Top 10 list for the year and there are more good shows a step below that.

Mido

Oct 27, 2017
Well there has been speculation that Apple will buy Netflix so there is that

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Nope. Their original programming gets better every year. If anything the other companies besides HBO are trying to catch up.

OP
OP

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're just picking two examples you like vs two that you don't. During the "pre-decline" period Netflix released shows like Hemlock Grove, Real Rob, Flaked and The Ranch. Now I'll cherry pick good shows "post-decline" G.L.O.W ,Mindhunter, Master of None, Godless, The Crown,Ozark, Dark...
I'd put "pre-decline Netflix" as pre-2016 where you had House of Cards, Orange is the New Black, Kimmy Schmidt, Bojack Horseman, Master of None, Jessica Jones, Daredevil. All heavily promoted and acclaimed. Netflix started out great.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
you can watch that OK adaptation of The Little Prince on there

MadeULook

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Washington State
Strongly disagree. I keep finding myself enjoying more and more of their original content and probably has about a good half of what I watch. 2017 is arguably Netflix's best year for their original content.

I do agree that most of the original movies are duds. I've enjoyed some but they are more miss than hit.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Netflix has had some big misses with movies recently like Bright and Cloverfield Paradox but there is more than enough tv show content for me. As long as this doesn't wane I'm fine.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I doubt you've watched even 1/100th of the good stuff on Netflix. This always comes down to "Netflix doesn't have -specific movie from last six months-" or "Netflix doesn't have specific shitty 90's action film I watch 900 times a year!"

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Probably mostly a you problem I think.

Mindhunters was amazing, greatly enjoyed Punisher, and I am in love with Altered Carbon (at ep 3 currently).
Can't wait for JJ s2 coming soon...

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
Atypical and Lovesick are a couple of my favorite shows from the past few years and both of those are Netflix originals. Also really love Stranger Things and MindHunter. I think most of their originals are pretty good. I wouldn't say they're in decline at all.

Netflix has had some big misses with movies recently like Bright and Cloverfield Paradox but there is more than enough tv show content for me. As long as this doesn't wane I'm fine.
I enjoyed Bright tbh. The writing was pretty inconsistent, but idk if i'd call it a complete miss.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
I'd put "pre-decline Netflix" as pre-2016 where you had House of Cards, Orange is the New Black, Kimmy Schmidt, Bojack Horseman, Master of None, Jessica Jones, Daredevil. All heavily promoted and acclaimed. Netflix started out great.

You are still cherry-picking. Same period had Hemlock Grove, Bloodline, and Marco Polo.

It's just easier to forget the misses when time passes.

PantherLotus

Oct 27, 2017
If you think Netflix is struggling because of their film catalogue, you haven't even remotely been paying attention.

incogneato

Self Requested Ban
Nov 8, 2017
The Crown and Stranger Things are pretty acclaimed

netflix's original content is better than the others'

the only other notable original content from a competing streaming service is the handmaid's tale

adamblue

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
DFW, Texas
I don't think it's in a decline, but personally I agree with you. Mindhunters was amazing, but yeah, I was only into Stranger Things S1. Tried Altered Carbon. Actually, I've tried a lot and the shows seem to be filled with plots for the purpose of padding out a specific length. Lots of filler. This is why I loved Mindhunters so much. Perfectly paced TV.