zoggy

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Watch the first 30 seconds of this video and what this guy says.

https://youtu.be/cugl5mmfcxY

Ok so this must be a local ny food with some special touches or ingredient choices that's really unique and part of NYC culture right? A heart and soul food that's loved by the locals and is special only to nyc?

It's a fucking chopped up hamburger meat on a long roll, that's it. Motherfucker you can't just rename shit that everyone's been doing for centuries everywhere and then call it a magical special to my place only food.

Watch the rest of the video if you want to see New Yorkers jerk each other off because they invented a basic fucking sandwich

Cheesesteak>>>

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Bodegas dont have steak. They have hamburger patties.

Chopped cheese is both delicious and dirt cheap.

OP
OP
zoggy

zoggy

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Bodegas dont have steak. They have hamburger patties.

Chopped cheese is both delicious and dirt cheap.
Thats fine but that's not some special sandwich unique to nyc.

It's like if ny-ers started calling pizza "cheese plates" and think it's some long nyc tradition only

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Did I hear someone talking shit about chopped cheese?

geomon

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Yeah I thought it was just a cheesesteak sandwich that he was chopping up then I looked closer and it was hamburger meat. New Yorkers have this weird fucking thing about local stuff being better than everything else on the planet and they're only right about 2 things: Pizzas and Bagels.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
First they ruined pizza, now hamburgers. They can't keep getting away with this...

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I thought it was just a cheesesteak sandwich that he was chopping up then I looked closer and it was hamburger meat. New Yorkers have this weird fucking thing about local stuff being better than everything else on the planet and they're only right about 2 things: Pizzas and Bagels.
That's because you never had chopped cheese

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this like that thing were New Yorkers think they have real bagels but then this guy in Canada shows them up by handmaking them?

Deleted member 9838

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
from NYC, never heard of it

everyone know what a chocolate egg cream is? now that is something I order which most people never heard of.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I much prefer the term 'chopped cheese' than some places in the midwest where this is called 'hanky pankies'

Skelepuzzle

Apr 17, 2018
I still have to try one of these someday.

Everywhere does this OP, at least dunk on something that sounds bad like a shitty ass midwestern garbage casserol or hotdish. They're fucking slop.

Source: I live in the upper midwest. We have better exclusive food but folks want their low effort trash.

Introvert

Nov 5, 2017
Yeah. Chopped Cheese is a thing here. I'm Brooklyn native of 36 years and I've never heard of it until I started working in Harlem last year. Most of my co-workers are from the Bronx and it's all they ever talk about. I haven't tried one yet since I'm a bit of a food snob. I found an article and then a documentary about the Chopped Cheese. It's funny because the people in it were complaining about gentrification and how white hipsters started selling upscale versions on fancy breads with things like guacamole.

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
from NYC, never heard of it

everyone know what a chocolate egg cream is? now that is something I order which most people never heard of.

I've seen chopped cheese in some places lately. In one place it was even listed under "New style" or something similar on the menu, I believe.

Funny you mention egg cream, I ordered one just the other day off a place on Seamless.

So, the following is slightly off-topic but I want to profess my disdain for NY eateries that make beef quesadillas with deli roast beef. This is a crime to the senses, and it honestly just tastes so gross because of how out of place it is.

PanickyFool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watch the first 30 seconds of this video and what this guy says.

https://youtu.be/cugl5mmfcxY

Ok so this must be a local ny food with some special touches or ingredient choices that's really unique and part of NYC culture right? A heart and soul food that's loved by the locals and is special only to nyc?

It's a fucking chopped up hamburger meat on a long roll, that's it. Motherfucker you can't just rename shit that everyone's been doing for centuries everywhere and then call it a magical special to my place only food.

Watch the rest of the video if you want to see New Yorkers jerk each other off because they invented a basic fucking sandwich

Cheesesteak>>>
Jersey style cheese steak is better.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
i hate cheese steak hoagies. why you gonna put lettuce, tomato, raw onion, ketchup and mayo on a cheesesteak? steak, cheese and sauteed onions that's all you need. and it's not like steak is that expensive that you gotta use hamburger patties, i could get a cheesesteak off a truck for $4. i'd rather just get a bacon egg and cheese than a chopped cheese though any time of the day.

CrocM

Oct 25, 2017
i hate cheese steak hoagies. why you gonna put lettuce, tomato, raw onion, ketchup and mayo on a cheesesteak? steak, cheese and sauteed onions that's all you need. and it's not like steak is that expensive that you gotta use hamburger patties, i could get a cheesesteak off a truck for $4. i'd rather just get a bacon egg and cheese than a chopped cheese though any time of the day.

The true sandwich of NYC

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
That's one basic-ass sandwich. Which is the point, I guess. The "upscale" version looks gross, though.

The one from Ghetto Gastro looks legit.

Last edited:

geomon

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
https://firstwefeast.com/eat/2016/01/chopped-cheese-iconic-nyc-sandwich
On 110th and First Avenue sits Blue Sky Deli & Grocery, known informally as Hajji's, which Uptown personality and entrepreneur 40oz Van calls the "mecca of chopped cheese." Van starred in a brief segment for Karma Loop about his favorite spot in Washington Heights on 164th and Broadway, but anecdotally speaking, it is generally agreed upon that Hajji's is the de facto birthplace of the sandwich.

"Hajji's was serving chopped cheese 10 years before it went anywhere, before Washington Heights and the Bronx," insists Bamz, who first came across the sandwich in 1996 as a youth at the Harlem Boy's Club, where he was introduced to it by the son of an Afghani bodega owner. "That was revolutionary. I respect [people] putting others on to it, but you can't get that twisted—East Harlem was the hub of chopped cheese."

lol! They claiming this shit started in 1996! I was having sandwiches just like this in Miami when I was 4-5 years old in the early fucking 80's. Get the fuck outta here!

OP
OP
zoggy

zoggy

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Truthiest truthbomb of all time

smurfx

Oct 25, 2017
shit i've made this and threw in some top ramen. i call it chopped ramen. its a california specialty you guys can't steal.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017

Nah fam. NY pizza ain't shit compared to Chicago Pizza. THAT is the real deal.