Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
If I can't even use this why even live?
fetchimage
My god, look at that powerful frog. Pepe is mythical.

Welcome to dog whistles. That's their whole point.
No, can't be…is such a thing possible!?

images

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
It never had anything to do with it.

Don't let the alt right get control/power over things. Fight for it or they will move to the next thing and claim it theirs.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
I know nick fuentes, the shit hole white supremacist alt right dick hole and his followers created their own pepe whos fat. It is a case by case thing cause many streamers, even very left ones, are fine with the meme emotes on twitch

Punished Goku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If it's the smug version, it's 100% not okay.

Otherwise, it's slightly eyebrow raising to me but ultimately fine depending on the context/audience. The original "feels good man" is timeless.

(edit) This is my take on the specific variations

Feels good man / happy Pepe: Okay
Sad pepe: Okay
Smug pepe: Not okay, it's one degree off from the weird Groyper shit, plus no one else really uses it anymore
Groyper: 100% alt-right
Clown Pepe: 100% alt-right
Angry pepe: Sus, associated with that REEEE bullshit from /r9k/
Weird/"rare" Pepes: People still post these?
Can you like clarify or post images of these variations?

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
User Banned (2 Weeks): Antagonizing Another User; Prior Bans for the Same
And in that bubble, it's absolutely still used almost exclusively by chuds. Which means, that it's still not "Taken back".

And honestly, why does it need to be? let a dog whistle become a real whistle, this isn't like a hand gesture or something else, this is a meme, a picture on the internet that has been so heavily associated with literal scum that I am side-eyeing everyone using it in this thread.

770929463692230660.png

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
He's been okay for years now. You boomers are just way too behind on this shit. This is pretty Sadge on y'all's part, not gonna lie.

pepefrg-17-gap.jpg

Last edited:

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
And in that bubble, it's absolutely still used almost exclusively by chuds. Which means, that it's still not "Taken back".

And honestly, why does it need to be? let a dog whistle become a real whistle, this isn't like a hand gesture or something else, this is a meme, a picture on the internet that has been so heavily associated with literal scum that I am side-eyeing everyone using it in this thread.
People just don't like the idea of something they liked to use innocuously suddenly being taken from them in the span of a year forever. Remember, up until the election people had been posting frogs for like 8 years. It's pretty unfortunate that in the span of 1 it was taken from them so there's a lotta push back.

mk_68

Banned
Feb 3, 2020
I moderate a number of channels on twitch, there has never been a time where someone using a pepe emote didn't end up banned from one of those channels. Pretty much every channel I frequent has banned the use of them on bttv, and any time that one that's not from that, from another sub emote pops up, it's immediate side eye.
So you are generalizing all of twitch and everyone in it because of the community you choose to be apart of lol? Okay.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
he's fine lol

if he's your twitter avatar, especially the smug or clown one i am automatically going to assume you're not a person worth talking to though

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
I've been seeing the use of copium and hopium quite a bit. Especially directed at Trump supporters when they were still in denial.

pillowtalk

Oct 10, 2018
If it's the smug version, it's not okay imo.

Otherwise, it's slightly eyebrow raising to me but ultimately fine depending on the context/audience. The original "feels good man" is timeless.

Here's Collige's Extremely Unofficial Guide to Identifying Pepes

Feels Good Man / Happy Pepe: Okay, this is the original we all know and love ✅
Feels_good_man.jpg

Sad Pepe / Feels Bad Man: Also okay, this predates the alt-right by a while ✅
flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg

Smug Pepe: Not okay, it's one degree off from the weird Groyper shit, plus no one else really uses it anymore ❌
0e9.jpg

Groyper: 100% alt-right, spawned from the smug version ❌
Groyper_cartoon.png

Clown Pepe: 100% alt-right, used by the same people as Groyper as well as Actual Nazi Nick Fuentes ❌
honklhonk.jpg

Angry Pepe: Extremely sus, associated with that ableist REEEE bullshit from /r9k/ ❌
angry_pepe.jpg

This predates the alt-right stuff though, it's just general internet terribleness

Apu / Helper Pepe: Not instrinsically bad AFAIK, but this specific version and its variations started a lot more recently (2016) than the original Pepe and its variants
R14kkDj.png

Weird/"rare" Pepes:
Extremely meta and also out of date. Do people even still post these?
pepes.jpg
spot on

Astraea

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Feels_good_man.jpg

Smug Pepe: Not okay, it's one degree off from the weird Groyper shit, plus no one else really uses it anymore ❌
0e9.jpg

Groyper_cartoon.png

Clown Pepe: 100% alt-right, used by the same people as Groyper as well as Actual Nazi Nick Fuentes ❌
honklhonk.jpg

Angry Pepe: Extremely sus, associated with that ableist REEEE bullshit from /r9k/ ❌
angry_pepe.jpg

This predates the alt-right stuff though, it's just general internet terribleness

Apu / Helper Pepe: Not instrinsically bad AFAIK, but this specific version and its variations started a lot more recently (2016) than the original Pepe and its variants
R14kkDj.png

Weird/"rare" Pepes:
pepes.jpg

Yeah this seems spot on to me. Good info.

LogicAirForce

Oct 25, 2017
My friend group uses various pepes as emojis on our Discord, and we are all either in the LGBT community or minorities or both, so about as far from alt-right as you can get. It just depends on who is using it tbh.

henlo_birb

Dec 15, 2017
For me it's about context. I'm not immediately assuming anything unless it's the pepe that's doing the champagne toast in a tuxedo or if it's really obvious.

Edit: also that cuter version that looks more chibi always makes me smile

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
The recent copium one has been hilarious. Most usages I've seen have been pretty innocent.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Dunno, but this moment is still the funniest/ridiculous shit I have ever seen on news TV.
B87006-E8-3-DEB-49-AE-A612-11218156808-A.jpg

As for altrighters/incels I think they moved on to wojaks/feels guy edit spam or whatever.

mztik

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
I always associated it with Twitch.

There will always be assholes using nice things for their shitty ways, like the 'OK' hand gesture.

red_shift_ltd

May 24, 2019
US

Feels_good_man.jpg

0e9.jpg

Groyper_cartoon.png

honklhonk.jpg

angry_pepe.jpg

R14kkDj.png

Weird/"rare" Pepes:
pepes.jpg

Thanks! Here's +1 Internet for you

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
Pepe seems to be fine nowadays for the most part. Just gotta watch out for that groyper shit.

I'm still pissed racists co-opted Mac Tonight and the "Ok" hand sign though.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
The alt-right people loved thinking they were large enough in numbers to Co-Op Pepe and get a Presidential candidate to mention it on-stage.

The internet is way larger than those people and the images are not owned by any one group.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
First they came for Based from Based God, and I said nothing
Then they came for my frogs.....

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
It's always been fine. Alt right spammed it to hell and back in 2015/2016 but it's been used normally nonstop everywhere outside of Era just fine. Era's a very thick bubble, I'm doubtful I can be shown any discord, reddit page, twitch stream or anywhere where Pepe is being used by pure malicious intention outside just 4chan.

Era's always been sus on topics like these, like the second some crazy person 'claims' something or associates themselves with it, that thing is eternally tainted, disowned and thrown into the sun. No hesitation.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Always was. Don't let the alt right take shit over.
This this this.
ERA's defeatist attitude to stuff like this always irked me the fuck out.
"Oh well, shitters are trying to coop this innocent thing. Should I fight against it?
NAAAH, better safe than sorry so I'll just stop using it and be sus about everyone using it from now on"

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the fact is that whatever your opinion on this may be, young people on twitch are non-stop spamming pepes and peepos in the most popular streams, and for the vast majority of them it has no context other than being a funny/cute emote to react to what's happening on stream.