• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kalnet

Oct 25, 2017
I have recently finished re-playing Persona 3 Portable on my good ol' PSP and during my playthrough, it seems to get more of a darker tone as it went on. The sequels do follow a similar beat but throughout playing 3, it felt like everything was bleak from a quarter way through. From shooting yourself to summon your persona, your squadmate's loved ones died right before their very eyes, death literally effecting the people in the real world physically and mentally nationwide in a very negative way, to the protagonist sacrificing himself to save the world so his comrades can live to see another day while he kept himself at bay from Nyx and humanity's despair to intertwined with each other.

I don't have any favorite characters in P3( Okay, Mitsuru is bae) but i like their dynamics as a team, with Mitsuru and Akihiko being the leaders of the group. Of course the protagonist becomes more of the leader towards the end.

P4 does had it's bleak moments with people dying in the midnight channel and the haze covering up the whole town. P5 with people simply giving up their self-control to a godly being.

I have never played P1 and P2 before so maybe I will play that next.

What do you guys think with P3 being more bleak than P4 and P5? It had a bittersweet ending with an aftermath story "The Answer" and the setting being dark tone all the way through.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Out of the current Persona titles in the new format (P3-5). 3 definitely goes for the bleakest overall tone (Even if they all have their share of comedy and other tropes). Personally, if we were to rate the titles on being "bleak" i'd say the order is P3 > P5 > P4. P4 is easily the title that went less on that aspect with P5 finding a better balance.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Persona 3 is about death and nihilism. "Memento Mori" is the game's primary conceit. So yes, in that sense, it certainly is.

All of the main party members are motivated by the death of people close to them. It's what drives the story forward. The antagonists are driven by humanity's fundamental desire to stop living and misanthropy. It's probably part of why Persona 4 was made to be much more lighthearted (despite still having darker tones at times).

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Yeah it is definitely bleaker.
Although P2 is far worse in my experience. But I've only beaten Innocent Sin, not Eternal Punishment.

P3's ending had me legit bummed for a good two weeks.
4 was quite emotional but in a different way.
5's ending tried to mix both the tones of 3 and 4 and it didn't really work for me.

Apr 16, 2018
Death is the primary theme of the game.

And a few of your party members ACTUALLY die, so yes and it isn't close.

Zippro

May 20, 2018
P3's not got the best overall streamlining of the Nu Persona series, but it does have the most focus and best-writing of the Nu Persona era so it's easily considered the best by long-time fans. I think, to some extent, Tartarus also being a struggle through repetition helps it a great deal in this regard. It's not easy and reflects character struggles, but I'd be lying if I said it couldn't be done better. P3's definitely a real charmer, despite its faults, and you can tell the team at Atlus still really likes it a lot considering how much they want to carry it forward through the popularity of P4/5. P4's far more character driven than character and plot and it mostly succeeds whereas P5 tried to strike a balance between the two, but ultimately faltered due to poor writing that felt like it came straight out of Persona Q. I think the best way to look at 3 in comparison to 4 and 5 is 3 had a lot of heart and care put into it for what the team was capable of making, there was a vision and 4 tried to carry on that vision in a unique way while also addressing complaints about 3. 5 Pushed further into trying to carry that on, but also prioritized its marketability and complaints of 3 and 4 over the narrative and how it could accentuate the narrative through gameplay and difficulty, but got pulled into too many directions and ended up radically different from the initial vision that, honestly, sounds like it would've been a lot cooler and more focused.

I'd highly recommend Persona 2 though. It's easily the best entry in the series and you get it in the form of a duology and it has a lot of unique aspects that I really wish the series had carried forward. It does need some streamlining though so I hope, one day, we get another remake.

Last edited:

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
From the first time you see how the MC summons his Persona, you should've known then that P3 was gonna be dark as shit.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think P3 is the bleakest Persona game in the entire series, and honestly the Sun social link storyline is one of my favorites because this. Sadly the game is also edgy just for the being to be edgy, so not neccesarily is the most mature game in the modern Persona trilogy.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Yes it's the bleakest because the overarching theme in P3 is about learning to accept and cope with the inevitablity of death.

P4 and P5 deal with much less depressing themes, specially the laughably childish "adults suck" themes of P5.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely. As others have said, the central theme of the game is mortality.

The tone is a huge reason why it's still probably my favorite Persona despite 4 and 5 destroying it in gameplay and quality of life.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
100%. As others have said, death is the primary theme of the game. The endgame makes a point to show the player just how bleak things are as Nyx approaches. I also noticed that, unlike a lot of other JRPGS, the endgame preparation for SEES wasn't hype-inducing or triumphant-feeling. It was a time of deep contemplation and increasing dread as the calendar advanced.

P3 was great, man.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Thematically, it is much closer to Shin Megami Tensei proper than 4 and 5 were.

So, yes, it is.

Oct 27, 2017
100%. As others have said, death is the primary theme of the game. The endgame makes a point to show the player just how bleak things are as Nyx approaches. I also noticed that, unlike a lot of other JRPGS, the endgame preparation for SEES wasn't hype-inducing or triumphant-feeling. It was a time of deep contemplation and increasing dread as the calendar advanced.

P3 was great, man.
Yeah, the latter section of P3 was definitely the high point of the game, for me.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
Yes,3 and 4 are total opposites.
P4 is all about happiness and enjoying life for me,even if it's about finding a serial killer.
Although P3 kinda talks about the same in a way but in a more depressing/bleak way i guess.
That bittersweet feeling during new year's eve makes me feel so melancholic.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It has a lot of similarities with Evangelion, sooooooo, I'd say yes.

kayos90

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The movie adaptations for P3 towards the middle and end get really really depressing. It's 100% bleaker.

rehjul

Dec 27, 2018
Yes it's the bleakest because the overarching theme in P3 is about learning to accept and cope with the inevitablity of death.

P4 and P5 deal with much less depressing themes, specially the laughably childish "adults suck" themes of P5.

P3 was the best and definitely bleakest of the Nu Persona series, but 5's derision against adults I think was more a general condemnation of the ruling class, as filtered through the lens of its adolescent protagonists.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
P3 is essentially just more SMT than the 'Persona' we know today.

You'll wanna try the DS and 3DS SMT games if you want that bleakness(or far worse).

semiconscious

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
one of the main reasons i pefer it to what's followed. for me, the game stays with you in a way the others don't :) ...

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
On a related note, what are the best blind let's plays for P3? Feels like there's not as many as for the later games.

OP
OP
Kalnet

Kalnet

Oct 25, 2017
From reading the replies, I'll go give P2 a shot!

Yeah, it's something about the setting and plot details of P3 that sticks with me more than the sequels. The meaning and lore behind tartarus and the dark hour. It makes our playable characters more human and believable in a real situation if we truly know when the world is gonna end.

I thought P5 was my favorite but after replaying this, P3 tops it for me. It's not about how important the characters are in my pov, but about on what's truly happening around them and how dire a situation can be. The characters don't joke around that much but when they do, it's to lighten the mood and it reminded us the players and the plot going forward that there can be a hope.

BouncyFrag

Oct 27, 2017
One of the reasons I'll hold onto my ps3 is to replay P3FES. It's a damn shame we can't play it on any current devices.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
P3 really needs a remake or Golden edition that puts together P3P and FES in one package.

3 does feel like the most serious Persona. In fact it's the perfect middleground between old Persona (1 & 2) and new Persona (4 & 5).