mangopositive

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I did Sling Blue from October to December and now I'm on my first month of Hulu Live TV. I'm a fan, much more so than Sling. I don't get buffering nearly as often. I don't watch a lot of sports, but it keeps telling me that they're available. The UI is a little weird, but now that Disney is a controlling stakeholder, I'm sure things will continue to improve.

Kimaris

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
It works well enough but the recent price hike has compelled me to drop it. I'll be back when /if they can come up with a bundle without all these damn sports channels

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
All of the streaming options have issues, but I prefer Vue and YouTube.tv currently.

That being said, I added Directv Now temporarily so I can watch NHL Network for the World Jr tourneyment.

I have had no quality issues with the Vue client on PS4 Pro, Nvidia Shield TV, or Apple TV. I vastly prefer the YouTube.tv DVR though, but clients are limited.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
ugh why the hell is the Simpsons from last night already On Demand only? What's even the point of having access to DVR for Fox if they're not going to let us use it.

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
Youtube is rasing their price and still doesnt have HGTV or MTV. If Direct gets their DVR on time I will probably finally switch from Vue.

Weeniekuns

Oct 27, 2017
Ive used Sling, Vue, and currently on YoutubeTV... they all have their pros and cons.

Sling = cheapest but bad performance and worst UI IMHO
Vue = most channels, good support, good UI, limited to 1 IP address, lots of 3rd party support
YTV = cheap, lacking some channels like TNT and HGTV, best performance, tightly integrated with Googe Home/Cast, not available on Amazon/Fire devices

Im 100% in the Google ecosystem (all Android phones, Googe Home automation, all TV's are Chromecast enabled, all speakers are Cast enabled, etc) so I like the Youtube TV integration where I can pretty much control all my TVs with voice.

Mifune

Oct 30, 2017
It's better than Hulu TV, that's for sure. Constant loading, buffering, shitty image quality. I wish DirectTV's was on consoles, would give that a shot.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Ive used Sling, Vue, and currently on YoutubeTV... they all have their pros and cons.

Sling = cheapest but bad performance and worst UI IMHO
Vue = most channels, good support, good UI, limited to 1 IP address, lots of 3rd party support
YTV = cheap, lacking some channels like TNT and HGTV, best performance, tightly integrated with Googe Home/Cast, not available on Amazon/Fire devices

Im 100% in the Google ecosystem (all Android phones, Googe Home automation, all TV's are Chromecast enabled, all speakers are Cast enabled, etc) so I like the Youtube TV integration where I can pretty much control all my TVs with voice.
YouTube TV just announced yesterday that they're adding TBS, TNT, and CNN among others to their channel lineup.

They are also increasing their price from $35 per month to $40 on March 13th, but if you sign up before then, you'll still get the $35 pricepoint.

Last year we launched YouTube TV, the best way to enjoy cable-free live TV, and we've been working hard to make it better every day. Today we are excited to wish all our members an extra Happy Valentine's Day by bringing more of the networks you love to YouTube TV, including TNT, Adult Swim, TBS, CNN, Cartoon Network, truTV, Turner Classic Movies and more!
But wait, there's more! We're thrilled to announce that we're soon adding NBA TV, the league's 24-hour network, and MLB Network, Major League Baseball's award-winning 24/7 TV network, to the YouTube TV base package. And in the coming months, you'll also be able to watch NBA League Pass, the league's premium out-of-market live game service, or MLB.TV, the longest running sports streaming service in the U.S., for an extra fee. Game on!

It would break our hearts for you to miss out on the action, so in the coming weeks, YouTube TV is also expanding to all top 100 U.S. markets! While we started out in just five markets and expanded to over 80 from there, we're thrilled to announce that we are taking YouTube TV to over 85 percent of U.S. households, with the most live local broadcast stations in markets where YouTube TV is available. New markets include: Lexington, Dayton, Honolulu, Richmond, Mobile, and Syracuse. Check out here if YouTube TV is available in your city.
We will be increasing our price to $40/month on March 13 for new members. However, if you are already a member or sign up before March 13, we are keeping your original price of $35/month.
https://youtube.googleblog.com/2018/02/youtube-tvs-got-game-on-valentines-day.html

Blackflag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was the best by far of the several options I tried. In the end I still didn't watch it enough to make it worth it and just cancelled

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
I did Sling Blue from October to December and now I'm on my first month of Hulu Live TV. I'm a fan, much more so than Sling. I don't get buffering nearly as often. I don't watch a lot of sports, but it keeps telling me that they're available. The UI is a little weird, but now that Disney is a controlling stakeholder, I'm sure things will continue to improve.

We had Hulu live and it buffered so damn much

YouTube live though was smooth as hell.....but Hulu live coming with Hulu makes it an insane value.

Oct 25, 2017
Been without a cable streaming service for about a year now, but I'm looking to get back in. Vue was leagues above Sling last I checked, both in terms of stream quality and UI. YoutubeTV looks to be an intriguing option. I assume it doesn't work on FireTVs though right?

crimsonECHIDNA

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Gatorland

Tackleberry

Oct 31, 2017
Alliance, OH
We ended up with DirecTV now due to their availability of local channels.

Also my wifes rule was it had to have access to AMC and MTV. (She likes the Teen Mom garbage trainwrecks).

We tried all the main ones, Hulu, PS Vue, Youtube, Sling and DirecTV.

DirecTV was the only one that gave us everything we wanted. $50 a month

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
My fiance and I had Sling for the last 6-9 months and eventually canceled it.

Honestly we just don't watch enough live TV enough for it to be worth it, and the DVR stuff was mediocre at best (when shows pop onto on-demand it would remove our DVR option and we'd have to watch commercials). Almost every show we watch eventually comes to Netflix and Hulu after they air (like Broad City or the CW superhero shows).

The interface was also pretty rough with Sling. Sometimes the interface on the DVR would break and we couldn't scroll through stuff.

Last edited:

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The best value was the initial DirecTV Now offer of $35, I use it with my Fire TV stick and dongle; the app is garbage. But it runs amazingly well on my iPad Pro and iPhone 7, just goes to show you that they just simply put more effort into iOS apps than Android counterparts.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would say the free apple tv from directv now is pretty much unbeatable. Beyond that it's only $5 a month for HBO which is also unbeatable.

They also pretty much have the best pricing for a base package. Downside is DVR is still in beta but it's pretty easy to get into the beta.

Picture Quality is leagues better than Sling too, and imo better than Vue.

Oct 28, 2017
I would say the free apple tv from directv now is pretty much unbeatable. Beyond that it's only $5 a month for HBO which is also unbeatable.

They also pretty much have the best pricing for a base package. Downside is DVR is still in beta but it's pretty easy to get into the beta.

Does directv now still not carry CBS?

natjjohn

Oct 25, 2017

Looked hard at it but Oxygen network was buried behind one of the highest tiers. Wife had Oxygen as top priority. Stood out as Vu3 and Hulu have Oxygen in lowest tier.

Rolling Hulu now after using Vue for a year. Hulu's more glitchy for sure but getting Hulu is a huge plus.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The best value was the initial DirecTV Now offer of $35, I use it with my Fire TV stick and dongle; the app is garbage. But it runs amazingly well on my iPad Pro and iPhone 7, just goes to show you that they just simply put more effort into iOS apps than Android counterparts.
I got in on that. Every time I see see my bill I chuckle. Worth it, despite the shitty browser performance.

element

Oct 27, 2017
I got in early with Directv Now and it has been improving. When launched it was awful, but slowly it has gotten better and better.

If you like local sports it isn't great, but honestly you aren't getting it for that.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
I tested all options in Sept. Vue was the only one that acted like a TV service with guide, that had a DVR. Super fast loading. We went with it and haven't looked back. I know DTVN is getting a DVR soon, but it was super slow loading for us and had a lot of buffering during prime time. Hulu didn't seem like a TV service - no guide and hard to navigate. YoutubeTV wasn't much yet and didn't have the channels we needed. Still doesn't. Sling was too expensive with Orange + Blue + extra channels we needed. We pay for $45 level of Vue and love it.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still using PS Vue and YouTube TV, really liking both. Unfortunately one service doesn't cover everything I need all the time.

I just added DirecTV Now for 3 months to snag an extra Apple TV, so I'll try to get into the beta.

Regarding sports, I have a great experience with NHL games using both services.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Does it have dvr replays available for the primetime events?

Not the person you're responding to, but I can say that I subscribed to Vue the other day specifically for the Olympics and the DVR function. There is an option to record all 2018 Winter Olympics, which is nice, so you don't have to sift through the channel guide and figure out when you have to record. Pretty convenient. As far as I can tell, it has recorded everything. I think I read that you keep them for 28 days after recording, as well.

spatenfloot

Oct 27, 2017
Not the person you're responding to, but I can say that I subscribed to Vue the other day specifically for the Olympics and the DVR function. There is an option to record all 2018 Winter Olympics, which is nice, so you don't have to sift through the channel guide and figure out when you have to record. Pretty convenient. As far as I can tell, it has recorded everything. I think I read that you keep them for 28 days after recording, as well.
Thanks. Do you have to tell it to record ahead of time or could you go now and find past events?

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks. Do you have to tell it to record ahead of time or could you go now and find past events?

No, can't go back with it. For example, if you subscribed right now, you could record everything that happens from this point forward, but if you wanted to see an event that was aired earlier today, you couldn't.

2 things to note:

1. In order to view the Olympics, you need the "Access" plan (or greater), which is $40/month (you get a 5 day free trial).

2. There might not be live broadcasting, depending on where you live. I live about 30 miles outside of Philadelphia, so I do get live broadcasts, but it's not the same everywhere.

I guess try the free trial and see if it's up your alley. Just make sure to cancel within 5 days if you don't like it.

ShadowkillXNA

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone else have an issue with networks on vue running shows at the wrong time for your location ?
For example I'm in the Pacific timezone and the new episode of the walking dead is coming on amc at 6 pm tonight on vue. As if I were on the east coast.
On other tv services here its coming at 9 pm as expected.
The same on both my roku and ps4 pro. The timezone and time/date settings are correct on both devices and the ps vue website shows my correct location.

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Does anyone else have an issue with networks on vue running shows at the wrong time for your location ?
For example I'm in the Pacific timezone and the new episode of the walking dead is coming on amc at 6 pm tonight on vue. As if I were on the east coast.
On other tv services here its coming at 9 pm as expected.
The same on both my roku and ps4 pro. The timezone and time/date settings are correct on both devices and the ps vue website shows my correct location.
Vue doesn't carry the West Coast feeds on any network I don't think.

Kovu

Oct 25, 2017
None of them are perfect. But I find that Vue is easily the best for Roku.

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
Vue just emailed me to let me know they are dropping the last live local channel they offered (CBS). It is going to cost more but I am going to need to switch to YouTubeTV and supplement with Philo since they dont have Scripps. The worst part is that YouTube doesnt support Fire TV devices so I will have to buy Rokus eventually.