Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think it asks an interesting question.

The first film was about an underdog who got his moment of glory.

The sequel asks the question: "Okay, he's had his 15 minutes of fame, what does he do with the rest of his life?"

Even though at the end of the first film Apollo says "Ain't gonna be no rematch." and Rocky replies "Don't want one."

I think the sequel does a good job of asking... "What does he do now that he has a wife and kid to provide for?" and it does that very well.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The problem is the ending with Rocky winning. The whole point of the first Rocky was just proving that he belonged in the ring as much as anyone else. It's TROS to the first Rocky's Last Jedi.

Edit: I actually love the whole series, except for 5.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I still like it but I like 3, Balboa, Creed 1 and 2 much more.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I read that with Rocky being so big the studio let him direct Paradise Alley and as he was directing Rocky 2 he stepped into an empty theater showing Paradise Alley and he was terrified Rocky 2 was going to be the end of his career.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
It's not like it killed off any beloved films characters like the sequel trilogy did.

Honestly I'm hoping the next film has aliens coming to Earth seeking the greatest fighters on the planet but Adonis is killed by the Galactic Champ in front of Rock. Cue him entering the championship to decide the fate of the entire planet.

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's basically a retread but with Rocky wining this time. Still a good movie.

Also further developed an already good character in Apollo.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
3 and 4 are fine, but I remember when 2 came out. Rocky was a great underdog movie and an unexpected hit, but 2 solidified him as the GOAT movie boxer. Rocky II made the franchise.

CallmeDave

Oct 27, 2017
I disliked how stupid they made Rocky for the second movie. I know he likes blocking with his head but he's basically operating at neanderthal intelligence levels for 2.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I agree with this entirely.

Also I think Balboa sucks and is awful. It's my least favorite Rocky film by far.

What?! If you are a Rocky fan it's a great ending to the series and a love letter to the whole series. This is what the Star Wars sequels wishes it was.

Rocky Balboa is wonderful. Plus it has Rocky finest speech moment.

Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done! Now if you know what you're worth then go out and get what you're worth. But ya gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of him, or her, or anybody! Cowards do that and that ain't you! You're better than that! I'm always gonna love you no matter what. No matter what happens. You're my son and you're my blood. You're the best thing in my life. But until you start believing in yourself, ya ain't gonna have a life. Don't forget to visit your mother.

Compass

alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
What?! If you are a Rocky fan it's a great ending to the series and a love letter to the whole series. This is what the Star Wars sequels wishes it was.

Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done! Now if you know what you're worth then go out and get what you're worth. But ya gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of him, or her, or anybody! Cowards do that and that ain't you! You're better than that! I'm always gonna love you no matter what. No matter what happens. You're my son and you're my blood. You're the best thing in my life. But until you start believing in yourself, ya ain't gonna have a life. Don't forget to visit your mother.

I felt that was the only good scene in the whole movie. Creed felt more of a love letter to the whole series.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I felt that was the only good scene in the whole movie. Creed felt more of a love letter to the whole series.

Nah. Balboa ended the Rocky chapters perfectly. Had tons of fan service (without being cheesy about it) and Rocky left on his own terms. Creed was a beautiful continuation of the series staking it's own claim and voice.

Slipknot666

Banned
Dec 1, 2017

The last part about visiting his mother always cracks me up lmao

Lothar

Oct 25, 2017
1 and 2 are the really great movies. 3 and 4 are just pure fun. They don't capture the emotion of 1 and 2 but they're extremely entertaining. I don't care for 5 and Rocky Balboa.

2 is fantastic.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Absolutely. The only Rocky film that offends me is Rocky V because it was so miserable and felt totally antithetical to the ethos of Rocky. 3 is repetitive but has an amazing ending, and 4 is ridiculous enough to be entertaining.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
It was one of the classier sequels really, it felt very similar to the first and it did develop the characters in really great ways showing Rocky's life post loss and his new found fame, also his relationship with Adrian. I think it was really well done though it did feel cheap also by having it basically fixing his loss.

Rocky 3+ is when the series got kinda corny

gagewood

Oct 25, 2017
Rocky II is definitely a worthy sequel. It has many great moments as well as the best fight of the series.

Plus, Redemption may just be better than Gonna Fly Now.

Oct 27, 2017
Rocky 2 is more like Rocky : Part 2. It's a great continuation of the first film. I think it's necessary and important.

If I had to rank them :

Rocky > Rocky 2 > Creed 2 > Creed > Rocky 3 > Rocky 4 >>>>>>>> Balboa > Rocky 5

Last edited:

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Rocky II was entertaining. I'm still waiting for this one though:

Av9jc77CEAEzRhT.jpg

Compass

alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
The problem is the ending with Rocky winning. The whole point of the first Rocky was just proving that he belonged in the ring as much as anyone else. It's TROS to the first Rocky's Last Jedi.

Edit: I actually love the whole series, except for 5.

Bingo.

In Rocky I he trains his ass off and goes the distance against a lazy and cocky Apollo. A completely dialed in and focused Apollo would have taken Rocky's head off in part II.

Didn't Apollo explain in Rocky 3 that Rocky pretty much won in Rocky II because he was more hungry for it? Plus Apollo was aging

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
There had to be a rematch but I doubt any of the Rocky movies were released with much foresight into where it might go next.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
I rate it lower than V.
It was the first of the "let's remake the successful first" sequels
Remember the priest in the window? He is back, remember me fighting Apollo and training?
I used to like it but watching it now all I like is smeeel mainly

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
It's worthy. Watch this scene:

It's still powerful today. They did a damn fine job acting in this movie man. Yeah its a retread to a degree, but they made that shit work.

Dhx

Sep 27, 2019
It's worthy. Watch this scene:

It's still powerful today. They did a damn fine job acting in this movie man. Yeah its a retread to a degree, but they made that shit work.

So good.

An earlier poster has it right. It's not a typical sequal or a rehash, it's a continuation, and it's a damn good one.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Too much of the same beats but still a good movie.

I love the Rocky franchise man.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People ranking Creed 2 above Creed is blowing my mind. I skipped it based how offensively stupid I found the premise.
Anyway, Rocky 2 is a solid sequel.

Last edited:

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
It is amazing. I love it. It may be not as great as the first one but I still hold it in the highest regards.

People ranking Creed 2 above Creed is blowing my mind. I skipped it based how offensively stupid I found the premise.
Creed 2 is not anywhere near the quality of Creed. It's serviceable but not much more. Rocky 2 is a better sequel than Creed 2.
You can still watch it and have a good time, but don't expect something like the near perfect movie that is Creed.