Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
I'm rewatching The Mask on Hulu and it might just be the devils lettuce talking, but I feel like Ryan Reynolds basically just watched Jim do his thing and said yep, add to cart.

Last edited:

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
I don't think the characters are that similar beyond an absurd slapstick humor and brash, vulgar quippiness, but I haven't seen the mask in a long time

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Ryan Reynolds is just Jim Carrey in a mask
the-mask-shot.gif

/thread

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
No, Ryan is a sarcastic smartass. Carrey's mask is Woody Woodpecker.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Ryan seems like a legit nice dude and I'm not trying to shit talk him as a person… but I really honestly can't stand his Deadpool.

People say he nailed it and I'm glad it exists; but it just feels like easy joke after easy joke of Reynolds playing himself.

It's Van Wilder or Waiting guy in a superhero suit and… I dunno, I can see the jokes coming from a mile away.

/OT rant

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Not...really? The Mask is a really explosive cartoon character.

Deadpool is just Ryan Reynolds.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Has more in common with the character from the original comics than from the film, especially the more brutal part of his personality.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Ehhh, similar, but he doesn't have the toon force, so that whole aspect of comedy is lost.

Although..

Steven_Harmon_%28Earth-616%29_from_Deadpool_Vol_6_2_001.jpg

That's the time Slapstick was a Deadpool.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I'm rewatching The Mask on Hulu and it might just be the devils lettuce talking, but I feel like Ryan Reynolds basically just watch Jim do his thing and said yep, add to cart.
Both are comic characters, except comic Mask is wildly difference. If they had adapted it straight it would have been a horror-thriller

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
its just Ryan Reynolds playing himself in make up. Ryan Reynolds' Deadpool is like a sentient Family Guy joke.

GulfCoastZilla

Shinra Employee
Sep 13, 2022
Nah, Jim Carrey is a cartoon character and Ryan Reynolds is….Ryan Reynolds.

Dude is comedy gold in a very strait laced way.
Where Jim Carrey to me will always be fire marshal bill / Ace Ventura to me. Straight cartoon character.

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
I think they're very different. I watched The Mask not too long ago, not having seen it since I was a kid. I wasn't a fan of it in the 90's even though I loved Ace Ventura and In Living Color. I really appreciated it this time and felt like a live action cartoon.
Deadpool just feels like most of the characters Ryan Reynolds already plays.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
I caught a bit of the Mask myself recently as well having not watched it in 20 years but having seen it a ton as a kid. I had the exact same thought. The Mask had a very similar tone a long time ago.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
the mask can actually transform into cartoon character references and has proper hammer-space

Ryan Reynolds just wanna sell u Mint Mobile

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
That formula of actor playing a role they've played before that already somewhat embodies the character seems to work out well for the Superhero genre with both Reynolds' Deadpool and Downey's Iron Man being huge hits.

It works for me as I like those old comedy movies Ryan did, and theres nothing Deadpool has been in that I've found all that funny besides the movies. At least with the movies, it's a chance to see a R rated comedy movie which are just never made anymore and in the theater no less (I don't usually love the theater but both movies were funnier with an audience).

And I agree with others saying Carry's The Mask is a literal cartoon character compared to the Deadpool movies. They don't feel the same at all to me. As an aside, I loved The Mask as a kid, and I tried for years to be allowed to do a figure skating routine to the song "Hey Pachuco" but they never let me.

LinkSlayer64

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2018
People who haven't, and have seen the mask, do a second watch with director commentary if possible. Incredibly insightful about all the little animation details they put into it and the chuck jones inspirations they took for them. Very fun and informative, and the director genuinely sounds like that had a great time.

That movie is full of my favorite gags, but the "I think he wants to communicate" with the toy horn that blares so loud it breaks the glass is one of my favorites.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
They are both comedic characters that can break the 4th wall and that's about where the similarities end IMO.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
The Mask is so much better than any of the deadpool movies though.

Jim Carrey and Stephen Chow are both masters in their field.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Idk…I've been following Ryan since 2 guys a girl and a pizza place. I like his deadpool, i like Ryan still…and i like Jim. But nah to the title.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I saw The Mask when it came out, I would have been 14 years old. I thought it was fucking stupid and Jim Carrey insufferable.

Didn't like anything with Carrey until The Truman Show which I thought was awesome.

But yeah there are similarities. Carrey is more talented at being annoying though, Reynolds at being smug.

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
The movie version of The Mask makes the two characters feel closer than they really are in style, but their source material is wildly different. Deadpool is... well, Deadpool, while the comic book version of the Mask is more of a horror comedy about power, easy solutions, and the cost of falling for those temptations. The movie Mask is more of a Hero's journey while the comic version clearly presents the Mask itself as a villain, and an incredibly dangerous one at that.

I'd love to see a comic-accurate version of The Mask.

Oct 31, 2017
Carrey is an all time great.

Reynolds failed upward & was married on a plantation.

I hate Ryan Reynolds and his high voice ass Deadpool.