• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is one of those movies that I've never watched until now, but it has always been in my mind since I saw the trailer for it in theaters years ago...before Batman Begins maybe?

I remember the trailer creeping me out, and leading me to believe it was a balls to the wall horror film...I think the women with the weird eyes and sliced neck was focused on a lot. So I never got the courage to watch it until yesterday...

And...it's not actually a horror film like I thought it would be, it's more a psychological thriller, and that's fine.

But OOOOOF that ending. It's bad. The last thirty minutes of this film or so is a tragedy that I can only chalk up to studio executives wanting to spell things out for the audience.

So, the premise of the film is a U.S. Marshall played by Leonardo DiCaprio and his new partner go to investigate a missing person on Shutter Island, a mental hospital for the criminally insane on an island. They're searching for a missing patient (who drowned her kids) and the U.S. Marshall secretly wants to also find the arsonist who killed his wife who may be there as well, oh, and he thinks they're turning patients into unfeeling supersoldiers.

From the beginning, like most movies dealing with mental illness you question what's real and what isn't...oh, is Leo actually a mental patient as well? Or is he being turned into a weapon through psychological and drug manipulation? That ambiguity is nice, and the film would've been better for it I think...leave things open ended.

But, the last bit of the movie goes to great lengths to hammer in the fact that Leo is a patient, a former U.S. Marshall who shot his wife after she drowned their kids. Fair enough. This is told through us by the head of the mental hospital taking out a whiteboard showing that the name of Leo's character and the name of the arsonist he's looking for, as well as the name of his wife and the name of the missing female patient, are anagrams of one another.

And that whiteboard is so on the nose...and so is the rest of the film from that point out. We then get a full flashback of Leo's wife drowning the kids and then him shooting her, which there was enough scenes interspersed between the movie to kind of make it a bit redundant, and then the head psychologist and Leo's partner, actually his doctor, more or less explain everything.

So, they decided to let Leo live out his delusions of still being a U.S. Marshall investigating the island to help him snap back to reality. Huh? It's also made clear that they legit let Leo basically do whatever he wanted while under the delusion, allowing him to freely wander the island more or less, interact with the other mental patients freely, etc.

It makes the film less "oh so what was real and what was an illusion" and more "so wait, they let him do THIS?". It kind of makes the whole movie retroactively kind of silly. It's almost so silly of a twist you almost believe that Leo really is a U.S. Marshall and he's being tricked into thinking he's insane, but nope, as far as I can tell we're supposed to legit accept that the head of the asylum decided the best thing to do to help a violent and delusional man was to basically let him do whatever he wanted and retreat into his fantasy. To help him?

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
It's been years since I watched it so my memory is mostly gone but I remember feeling like it was one of those stories where they thought of the twist they wanted to do and then just wrote whatever they could to make it work, it's not crafted particularly well. It's not like I had a BAD time watching it, though. So it depends on how picky your threshold for what a bad movie is, I suppose.

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I should clarify the movie is a fun watch and technically sound, but the ending is like the stuff folks mock Shamaylan for.

Its a smart twist for people who have never seen twisty movies before. For those who have you can guess the twist quite early.
Well the twist is generally thought to be "he's a mental patient" which is fine.

The twist being additionally "he's a mental patient AND the entire mental hospital specifically dropped everything to facilitate his delusions to snap him back to reality" is where it gets dumb.

It takes away the ambiguity of the twist and the open-endedness and by complicating things makes you question the movie's logic more harshly.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
It was entertaining to watch exactly once, but after that ending I could never take it seriously again. There's zero tension when you know what's really happening.

Dec 6, 2017
US
They actually don't let him freely wander the island and so on. The storm interferes and shit gets out of control completely. It was supposed to be much more controlled than it ended up being. Chuck walks away from several situations because he's aware how dangerous Teddy can be and he's alone.

I personally love both the book and the movie version and while the film leaned more into the 'twist' angle, I don't think it matters that much. Ultimately it's a rather harrowing story about a broken man of his time and the in-hindsight bizarre and/or barbaric ideas people had of mental illness and its treatments at the time. That's the way I see it at least and I find the movie exceptionally atmospheric to boot. It's certainly a flawed story and film but I love it honestly.

Sylvestre

Banned
Mar 20, 2020
It's been years since I watched it so my memory is mostly gone but I remember feeling like it was one of those stories where they thought of the twist they wanted to do and then just wrote whatever they could to make it work, it's not crafted particularly well. It's not like I had a BAD time watching it, though. So it depends on how picky your threshold for what a bad movie is, I suppose.
you know it was a book first, right ?

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
It's a movie adaptation of a book.
Also, the movie came out years after Batman Begins, or even the Dark Knight.

Yes, it loses some of the charm after the first view, but it's still pretty entertaining. It's always fun to watch a 2nd or 3rd time and see the small clues here and there, now that you know what you're looking for.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I also think the film version heavily leans into cinema of the story's era and I've always taken it more like a film noir or Twilight Zone style story if that makes sense? As in yeah, the 'twist' comes from a mile away but I think the actual trip to get there is really cool and it wasn't necessarily set up like a 'holy shit you didn't see THAT coming did you?' kind of M. Night thing. At least that's my take, a take also heavily influenced by the fact hat I really dig it like I said.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Guessed the entire movie from the trailer alone. Watched it hoping I was just guessing... nope, way too easy

GalacticMouse

Oct 25, 2017
It's been years since I've seen it but I remember the actual ambiguity of the ending being whether Leo's character was actually still delusional after the revelation or did he just accept that the lobotomy would be the only way he could actually forget and move on from all of his trauma and allow them to go through with it.

The twist is a little heavy handed but I believe the book is pretty heavy handed in the same regard.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
When you got to bring out a whiteboard you've probably overdone it with the exposition, lol

Overall I think it's still a strong movie though. More than the twist it's actually the ending with Leo's decision that stuck with me

rude

Oct 25, 2017
guessed it when the crazy lady looked at mark ruffalo and said the doctor or whatever was really handsome. the twist is ok and makes sense in retrospect. I feel like the movie takes too long to get to the reveal considering how obvious it is. it needed like...an additional subplot or SOMETHING.

Sketchsanchez

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is one of the few adaptations that I felt was pretty faithful to the source but improved on the ending.

Dec 30, 2020
Any asylum movie with a twist ending automatically makes me assume the protagonist is actually an inmate, or another prominent character actually is.

...House on Haunted Hill remake had a pretty good twist: Vengence seeking ghosts who prey upon family descendents will let you opt out if you were adopted by said family.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
It's a great "twist" and altogether a great movie. But one I will never rewatch.

Jan 3, 2018
Yeah, I think I remember reading the book before the movie came out and hoping the movie changed the dumb ending. It did not.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I liked it. It's bad for a Scorcese movie and the twist was the most obvious thing on earth, but I still really liked watching it.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Best thing from it was the On the Nature or Daylight/This Bitter Earth mashup. And that Johnny Ray Cry song.

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
But you left out my favourite part. The part where he wilfully went along to get a lobotomy, and that last talk with his partner. I loved that.

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
you know it was a book first, right ?
No? I said I barely remember the movie, why would I know about the book? Doesn't change anything I said, though. If the book feels the same put the blame on it, if it doesn't then put the blame on the movie. As I said, I'm just saying what I remember my initial feeling was after watching it a decade ago.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
I think the real twist is that he decides to fake his regression in favor of a lobotomy so he can finally forget what happened with his family.

But you left out my favourite part. The part where he wilfully went along to get a lobotomy, and that last talk with his partner. I loved that.

yeah, this! This is the real twist IMO.

Oct 27, 2017

I only just recently watched this movie but it's definitely what stood out to me as far as the ending and any twists go. There's maybe a bit of ambiguity in whether or not he actually relapsed or is just acting, but then what he says about "What's worse, to die a good man or live as a monster" lead me to believe he knew what he was doing and chose the lobotomy rather than continue to face his guilt and grief.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoy it, but yeah it's nothing special. It's well acted, great visuals, and has an interesting premise. The twist is overdone, but I still enjoyed watching it.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I actually really like the twist because you can watch the movie from two perspectives. It's a fun rewatch.

I kind of view it as high class schlock.
I was gonna say that actually. It's a schlocky B-movie made by a master. Kinda like Cape Fear (from what I remember anyway, I haven't seen that in ages).

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
trying to decide if that twist is more or less stupid than the book I read where a girl goes into a mental institution for killing another girl then at the end it turns out her sexy therapist is an alien from another planet and the reason they never found the "dead" girl's body is because she was actually kidnapped by aliens. hmm.

B_Spooky13

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Honestly i loved the movie.. And to me the movie isn't about "the twist" but the story and the story telling.

This place makes me wonder, which is worse.. To live as a monster or to die as a good man?

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I think the real twist is that he decides to fake his regression in favor of a lobotomy so he can finally forget what happened with his family.

yeah, this! This is the real twist IMO.

Agree with this take as well. The wild plan worked, it snapped Leo's character out of his delusion, but he opted to go back to a world of illusion rather then face the horror of what he had experienced.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I read the book beforehand and thought it handled the "twist" way better. Like Leo's character knew he was in a mental institution the whole time but kept living out the fantasy on purpose, I think. Before ultimately getting the lobotomy to erase his painful memories.

ChrisBliss117

Oct 28, 2017
I enjoyed it. I liked the twist when it first came out and liked when Leo's character asked if it's better to live as a monster or die. The mental hospital setting is pretty cool as well.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I liked it! It was well shot and I appreciated the twists (plural!). I do feel "just knowing there's a twist" spoils some of it, whether or not you can guess which twist you're exactly referring to (cuz there's a few juicy ones).

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
A friend and I always used to say "I am a duly appointed federal marshal" from the trailer all the time. The way he says it is stuck in my brain.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
Don't know what Scorsese was thinking with this one. It's not bad, but it's dumb as hell.

Oneiros

Oct 27, 2017
Good twists should always be at least a little predictable. The worst ones come out of nowhere.

Also, I absolutely hate the ambiguous endings where you don't know if they're crazy or not. Movies like that are a dime a dozen.

cwmartin

Oct 27, 2017
Knowing the ending and watching the movie again a few years later made it a lot more enjoyable for me.