• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you carry some type of knife or multi-tool with you on most days, alongside wallet/phone/keys?

• Yes - explain what and why.

Votes: 139 15.5%
  • No - explain why?

Votes: 758 84.5%

• Total voters

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
It used to be as part of a swiss army knife that was on my keychain. If broke off at some point and I never bothered to replace it, though in came in handy a lot for opening things.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I keep a pocket knife in my bag, but never in my pockets lol.
At work sometimes we have to go on trips to do inventories of purchased equipment and opening boxes, cutting cables and unscrewing wedged turn screws are common things a pocket knife can help with.

I just have a friction folding knife, nothing fancy. Costs like 15 bucks in case I break it or lose it replacing it isn't a big deal.
pWlM3QI.png

Oct 30, 2017
I keep one of those small, keychain Swiss army knives on my keys. The one with knife, nail file, and tiny scissors. The knife part gets regular use, usually for boxes and envelopes, and the scissors sometimes

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I like the idea of carrying some kind of multitool that might have a knife on it, but less than I hate having shit in my pockets, so I don't do it.

I keep one of those small, keychain Swiss army knives on my keys. The one with knife, nail file, and tiny scissors. The knife part gets regular use, usually for boxes and envelopes, and the scissors sometimes

I used to have one of these that I had for years. It had the Nokia logo on it; I got it for selling the most Nokia cell phones in my store at Circuit City one month in the summer of '99. lol

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't, just never have a need for one where there isn't a knife available. My brother has a lot though. My ex works retail and she used to have a box cutter on her 24/7.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
I keep a small pocket knife around, but mainly out of convenience to cut a package or something else randomly. If not that, then my bike multi-tool.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I carry one probably half the time. Sometimes it's in my car, other times it's in my desk. It's handy to have around and I find I use it several times a week for one reason or another. I was a butcher for a long time, so using a knife for many things is just second nature at this point. Usually just opening packages, sometimes prying, and occasionally stabbing fools***.

***This has never happened.
No way, cops here would fuck you hard for it.

I was arrested and charged with carrying a deadly weapon for having a safety pin on my jacket at a protest when I was 16.
Where was this? Sounds ridiculous.

Course, I've had some odd run-ins not knife related. I was searched outside a Walmart once for not buying anything by a cop. "They didn't have the video game I came here for in stock," was apparently a ludicrous answer as to why I didn't have anything. Of course, the conversation started with, "Why did you exit out the entrance?" "I didn't. That's a vestibule. It's the entrance and the exit." I think he didn't like feeling stupid.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't carry this on my person, but I have it in my bag and I use this tiny ratchet probably more than any other tool day-to-day

Wera Tool Check kit
71k-Mj-M0-Bp-L-AC-SL1500.jpg

Pbae

Oct 26, 2017
I carry a James Brand Elko. It's just super useful while being small (blade length is 1.74in). I deal with a lot of packages and it's nice to have a small blade. It also has a small built in pry that doubles as a driver so I use it to tighten things up and also to pop open beer tops. It's a very well functioning keychain blade. I can't see myself carrying anything larger than that unless I'm on a trail or backpacking.

RedNalgene

Oct 25, 2017
abea1514-d98c-409c-844a-32395812b7ad20.jpg

I have this on my keychain. It's super small and unobtrusive, and provides just a few tools that I need occasionally, given I work in an office. It's no bigger than a key, so it doesn't feel like I have a huge bulky knife in my pocket. And it's not expensive, so if I ever forget it before going to an airport or other security checkpoint I won't be upset about ditching it.

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
No, they're banned everywhere and even at my jobs where they would be useful they're banned cause people kept cutting themselves.

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
No, I don't carry any kind of knife/multitool/weapon. Never needed one and I don't like the idea of carrying a weapon.

Watevaman

Oct 30, 2017
Not in my pockets, but I usually have some kind of tool kit, which would include a knife, somewhere in my car.

illrated

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I usually have either one of these on me:
ks-1940st.jpg

61wuqSOMZjL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I work in IT and I use it for when Im working on networking cabling, cutting into drywall sometimes or sometimes we have to open a shit ton of boxes. I definitely use it at least once a week.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
No. I make the weapon association before I make the tool association, and I have no daily need for either of those anyway, so I don't carry one.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
No, I've never been walking around town and had a "damn I could really use a knife right now" moment.

Maybe if that started happening to me all the time I'd consider it.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
I wish I could have a Swiss Army knife/tool on me, but I'm afraid I'd randomly get checked before getting on a subway or something and get ticketed/arrested for having a "weapon", so it's not worth it.

Matrix Monkey

Dec 30, 2017
I used to carry a really small knife/multi-tool but had it confiscated at a comedy show. Haven't carried one since.

They are surprisingly useful, kinda miss having one but I don't have the pocket space for one now.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Yes.
A folding utility knife, very useful for opening all kinds of packaging, doubles as a screwdriver in a pinch, and could reasonably be used for self defence if needed.
I don't use it daily, but it is useful a couple of times a week I'd say, and I always have it with me.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
For a brief period of time I used to be sorta into knives but I realized after getting a few that I would only use them once in a blue moon and that kind of faded. i don't get a lot of packages anymore to cut open, my job is sedentary, etc

Oct 29, 2017
I have a multitool in my purse that includes a knife. I said yes because of that. Why?

Multitool.

(I grew up in the middle of nowhere in the desert. I'm hard pressed not to make sure I have bottles of water in my purse in case my car breaks down)
I keep a multi tool, thermal blanket, and water bottles in my car for the same reason. Never know when you'll need them.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
When I go to work I walk around with some pens, a laptop, a legal pad, a smart phone and a wallet filled with money and credit cards.

Haven't had a pocket knife since probably middle school.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Hell no, and where I live no one needs to have one on their person.

I literally cannot think of a single moment over the last 25 years where I was outside on everyday business and thought "gee I wish I had a knife". Just.. no.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
I usually have a blade on me... usually a multitool, but sometimes I have a flip open style box cutter in my pocket if I forget to take it out of my pocket. I work in construction so they're necessary every day. It does feel weird sometimes realizing I have a utility knife in my pocket at a store.

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, but there's always one in my backpack when I go camping or go to the office, as part of my toolkit. A good knife is handy in a million situations.

Opening boxes, cutting network cables, etc.

I don't need my backpack 90% of days though, so it's mostly at home.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No. I'm a decent enough fighter on my own and I don't want to give cops a reason to shoot me if I ever get pulled over or something

Bing-Bong

Banned
Feb 1, 2019
No, i don't find any possible use for a knife outside of home. Most knife types are banned where i live anyway.

Oct 28, 2017
Siloam Springs
Whenever I leave the house I have a folding knife clipped on my pocket. It's good to have if I need to cut my seat belt after an accident. I use it to open boxes and sometimes pry things open (had a SUPRA box get jammed on a house I was showing and was able to use the knife to pop the carriage out). If someone were to cause me an issue, the knife would stay in my pocket, I am not about to maim or kill someone (I prefer to avoid confilct, people can be rather psychotic).

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
I used to carry a swiss army knife when I bike around Brooklyn (and I used to bike around alot) but it always became a hassle when I would go somewhere and get frisked. It's got some sentimental value (mom/sister got it for me during an overseas trip) and I would be forced to find a space to hide it.

Last fall when I had jury duty I was forced to hide it behind a public statue a few blocks away and it was enough is enough for me.

I used to get pissed at arguing with bouncers about how dangerous a weapon it is. The actual knife part was dull from using it for bike maintenance shit and was two inches long and tied to my keychain; I am not going to go nuts with a rusty knife at your bartender, sir

Sidebuster

Oct 26, 2017
California
I carry a Gerber Dime. It's tiny but it has spring action pliers, wire cutters (in the pliers), little scissors, etc. The knife piece is actually tiny, but having all this on a key chain is super useful. Also this is America, so nobody gives a shit if you're carrying any kind of knife unless otherwise stated (like on a sign)(or your a minority and they want to hassle/shoot you).

iu

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Yes. I have a credit card knife which always stays in my wallet, so it's always on me.

card-sharp-2-credit-card-folding-knife.jpg

The one I have is surprisingly sturdy and has been useful many times. Like when my dog, the idiot he is, got himself really tangled in some carrier bags people had dumped. My lass held him still while I cut the bags off him. But I was glad I had the knife because there was no way we were getting the bags untangled, he kept yelping when we first tried. We'd have had to carry him home.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
In a multitool. It's useful cutting an apple for lunch, opening packages at work, and opening letters without paper cuts. Not something I need everyday but something I might need any day so I keep one on me.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Just this past week:

Used the blade to open letter
Used the blade to Cut open some Boxes
Used the tweezers to pull out a sliver
Used the bottle opener to open a bottle of beer.
used the blade to whittle some wood (made a roost for our chickens, made some sticks for cooking marshmellows)
used the blade to cut a ziptie

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
I have a swiss army knife at my desk at all times, but I don't take it with me, except maybe on vacation/longer trips.