Deleted member 3534

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not counting just the bad or mediocre games in the series, even the well regarded ones.

I recently bought Star Fox 64 3D and I'm reminded how I've never cared for this series. There's something stupidly captivating about the cheesy as fuck dialog and characters but there's just not much gameplay here. The Star Fox franchise might be the red headed stepchild of Nintendo's major franchises but it's still a major franchise and I can safely say that any time Nintendo announces anything Star Fox related I can't help but be disappointed.

I don't want to be that person, but if Retro is working on a Star Fox racing game that's just about the most hype killing scenario for me. I trust Retro to deliver an amazing game if your a fan of that franchise or genre. I'm not one of those people who thinks DKC:R and Tropical Freeze were wastes of time. I could have said I'd prefer a different genre in a different franchise at the time they were announced but now that I've played them I can safely say they're beautiful, wonderful games.

Mainline Star Fox is maybe an hour and a half to two hours long. I've never been compelled to squeeze more out of the short experience the way I've been by shoot em ups like Ikaruga or Bayonetta. I don't want to equate game length with game value but I can't help but do that a bit with the Star Fox games. You get a couple hours of rails shooter and not a whole lot of reason to go back again and again and again. It doesn't feel tight enough to have a high skill ceiling and the gameplay isn't satisfying enough to warrant becoming a high level player.

But maybe it's just me. I've never loved rails shooters but I also used to not like character action games until Bayonetta's Switch port clicked with me and now I love them.

What say you? Is it just me or does Star Fox kinda suck?

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Not sure how we define major series, but if Earthbound/Mother is considered one then it's my most indifferent series. I've played through beginnings and earthbound and was largely meh the whole way through. I will still buy and support the ports of these games in hopes we get mother 3 localized, but I don't enjoy playing the games.

Yes mother 3 is apparently the best and it's on my to do list, but after not enjoying earthbound I'm in no rush to play m3.

Deleted member 873

Oct 25, 2017
I love SF64 and I *love*, LOVE its characters. It's not a setting worth wasting. The attempts after 64 should have taught them something... and I hope it's not canning it.

I think Dillon is my least favorite IP. Not because of its characters (fabulous designs), but because of its gameplay. Unplayable for me.

Brend

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
It's Yoshi for me. Bland, soulless and mind numbing for anything after the one game that is genuinely good on SNES.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Nah, I enjoyed the SNES/N64 games on release and love SF64 3D. There's tons of Nintendo IP I'm utterly indifferent towards in comparison, including some of the most popular ones like Pokemon, Kirby and Animal Crossing.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I love Star Fox in terms of core gameplay, it's jsut that the rest after 64 is decent or a complete miss.

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017
I grew up on starfox on snes and n64.

Those were great. The rest, not so much.

Animal crossing is the worst Nintendo major franchise, i don't get the love...

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
I like Star Fox (SNES) and 64 gameplay. Anything that tries to shove gimmicks and change the gameplay of the originals I dislike heavily. Especially that DS game just no what are you doing. They are floundering with the franchise cause they keep trying these terrible control schemes and gameplay gimmicks. Adventures is ok just because you can tell its not even a Star Fox game its Dinosaur Planet with a fox skin.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3534

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
F-Zero is trash except for F-Zero GX. I hate racing games and even I'd be excited for a new game in the same vain as GX.

I hate mode 7 racing games and most racing games in general. It's be a huge uphill battle to get me to buy any racing title especially in the Star Fox franchise.

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure how we define major series, but if Earthbound/Mother is considered one then it's my most indifferent series. I've played through beginnings and earthbound and was largely meh the whole way through. I will still buy and support the ports of these games in hopes we get mother 3 localized, but I don't enjoy playing the games.

Yes mother 3 is apparently the best and it's on my to do list, but after not enjoying earthbound I'm in no rush to play m3.
Would you consider Golden Sun to be a major Nintendo title? Because it's in the same boat, latest title is more recent too

Oct 27, 2017
I love starfox, I'm just waiting for Nintendo to make a good entry in the series some day.

I don't give a fuck about Kirby though.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I love star fox so no but god damn nintendo, can you just give me an on rails shooter for God's sake? Not EVERY new game needs to be a huge gameplay changing innovation. If we got a REAL star fox 64-2, priced at 30 bucks, I'm sure the franchise wouldn't be where it is now.

I personally am not a huge fan of Kirby though. I've tried and tried to get into them for the better part of 20 years but I keep going back to other platformers I seem to like more. Maybe I missed the boat.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
You said it yourself "I've never liked rail shooters". It's like saying "I've never liked platformers" and then ripping into Mario.

Star Fox 64 is up there with the best games Nintendo has ever made.

It's a testament to that game's quality that has kept the series alive so long despite so many below par efforts since.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I don't think star fox is one of Nintendos major franchises. 64 remains one of my all time favourite games as well so I can't say I agree with you. Otherwise the franchise has been total shit since then.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
They've completely failed to capitalize on it and use it well. Imagine the kind of dedication and iterations given to something like Mario, given to the star fox series as a shooter.

But naaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Mario would be in the running if it weren't for his spin offs. Not including the weird one offs, I'd say mine is F Zero no contest. At least Star Fox has more than one good game.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kirby/Yoshi/Star Fox all occupy the same tier of low interest. In the case of SF I don't know why Nintendo keeps trying to make it happen. The majority of the games in that franchise are just no good.

Nov 4, 2017
Starfox Zero and Starfox Guard were great in my opinion. I even enjoyed the short cartoons they did.

If Star Fox Grand Prix is real, I expect it to be better than Mario Kart 8.

There are definitely Nintendo IPs I don't like as much. Sushi Striker pops in my head immediately.

topplehat

Oct 27, 2017
Austin, TX
For some reason it's one of my favorites. I played the SNES and 64 ones to death. Later games were less great but I still think the concept and setting are worth continuing

Nov 1, 2017
Gonna echo Kirby, though with the caveat that Air Ride is one of the best games ever.
Otherwise it's one of those series I wish I could like but have a hard time getting into, I could largely say the same about Star Fox though. Not big into on-rails shooters and their attempts with different gameplay haven't really been stellar so far.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
The original Star Fox and Star Fox 64 were great games that I remember playing the shit out of as a kid. I haven't liked the series since, apart from Star Fox 64 3D. I wouldn't say it's my least favourite Nintendo IP, though - it can't be because of those two gems.

I like F-Zero less and I like Kirby less.

Daschiel

Oct 28, 2017
Yes my true joy ccomes from the first one. Adventures was decent as well. That's it. I wish Nintendo put more effort into Samus and Metroid as they do with Star Fox. Poor Samus :(

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
The hate for Yoshi in this thread is bizarre. It had two mediocre games, and they weren't terrible, just forgettable.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
Starfox and Starfox 64 will always hold a special place for me. I haven't enjoyed a Yoshi game since Yoshi's Island and it doesn't seem like Nintendo will ever develop one internally again.

ArmadilloGame

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Star Fox is probably the worst IP that just won't die, but it's far from the worst IP Nintendo has. They have plenty that just fizzled out.

latest

images

220px-SteelDiversubwar.jpg

and dare I say it:
309455_1.jpg