• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Conor419

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
London
They innovate, it's just always to mixed results. We haven't gotten a straight forward railshooter since Star Fox 64. Every game since then has tried its own spin on the franchise, none of them have really succeeded though.

I mean major restructuring: that is, it should not be a rail shooter any more.

psilocybe

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not a fan of plane/ship flights in games. The controls always feel wonky for me. So yes, it is my least favourite Nintendo IP.

Deleted member 18347

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
but there's just not much gameplay here
You pretty much said it as it is.

Star Fox as a character has potential, but the games after the 64 era were lackluster. Miyamoto really needs to take a step back and think hard and deep on how to make an interesting new entry, or just leave it to someone else.

Pokemon to me seems like it never changed. The same old formula. It's not my thing but to fans apparently it scratches a certain itch so at least to them the games have been consistently good.

Find me a Star Fox fan who thinks the games have been quality from Adventures to Zero.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I haven't really cared for it much since the SNES entry, which was more interesting to me as a technology showcase for the system than it was as a game. SF64 didn't really do much for me either, and tbh, I haven't played any of the other entries since then. A Starfox game with the quality/approach of a Descent or Freespace could be quite intriguing though...

Deleted member 14377

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've come around on them. I have always adored their character designs. They're so incredibly charming, I want more from it.

46A.gif

I think the least favorite is probably Kid Icarus

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Starfox is the Jurassic Park of Nintendo, the first few are good and then they continue to churn out garbage year after year for decades after that.

Deleted member 11182

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like the IP. Just not any of the games, mostly due to the style of gameplay. I have little interest for linear shooters. But I really like the characters and the world and want to play an adventure game based on it. SFA is mediocre.

Deleted member 2321

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
StarFox only had one good game in the franchise and that was the first one.

So unless you were around for that you'd have no reason to care for StarFox.

Personally DKC and Kirby are the ones I care for the least.

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
StarFox only had one good game in the franchise and that was the first one.

So unless you were around for that you'd have no reason to care for StarFox.

Personally DKC and Kirby are the ones I care for the least.

Star Fox 64 is the one behind a glass case in the hall of fame.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Star Fox is a series I have no great love for, but at least it's better than the generic bore that is Kirby.

Nov 21, 2017
This is a strange question. There are Nintendo IPs I don't care about and ones I do care about.

I don't, however, have any desire to rank that IP's I don't care about to find out which is my least favorite.

Star Fox is an IP I do not care about, for what it's worth. On rails shooters are not for me.

Z-Brownie

Nov 6, 2017
Yep, definitely is mine least favorite, the only one i enjoyed is Adventures e is barely a StarFox

shiftplusone

Oct 25, 2017
Yes.

Star Fox is a bad series with few highlights, a ton of mediocre to bad games and its multiple "second chances" definitely leave me scratching my head. They've killed/shelved better series

Zutrax

"This guy are sick"
Oct 31, 2017
Nope, Fire Emblem is mine. It might be great on the gameplay front. But from an aesthetic standpoint it has zero of the charm, endearment, and memorability that all of the other Nintendo first party titles have. It's generic anime fantasy stuff and just very bland. Every day I wish Advanced Wars had beat it out as the dominating strategy tactics Nintendo title that got popular.

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
Nope I love it. I enjoyed adventures. I even kinda enjoyed zero.

I have no interest in Pokemon so that would be my least fav, but aware that's not a popular opinion.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah I think I'm going to go with star fox. Hopefully the next game in the series involves puppets and the gameplay is revamped
Not much of a Starfox fan but I still far prefer it to Animal Crossing, Pikmin, and Mario Party.
Wild considering Pikmin is one of there more consistent franchises.

Animal Crossing I'm not sure. Mario Party has been pretty bad

I think there should be a difference in franchises that people don't care fore and franchis s that barely have a good game.

Last edited:

Sea lion

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I love Star Fox's world, it's probably one of my top Nintendo worlds, but they need to give it the attention it deserves instead of using it as an experiment / rehash of 64.

The experimental side of things have gone really bad or just mediocre. Assault was a step in the right direction, they need to continue and expand on that. It always seemed like 64's natural evolution.

But yeah, character and world wise they're some of Nintendos best.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
no way

Kirby is the only Nintendo series I skip

Played enough of them and they are as close to shovelware Nintendo will ever come

Not counting just the bad or mediocre games in the series, even the well regarded ones.

I recently bought Star Fox 64 3D and I'm reminded how I've never cared for this series. There's something stupidly captivating about the cheesy as fuck dialog and characters but there's just not much gameplay here. The Star Fox franchise might be the red headed stepchild of Nintendo's major franchises but it's still a major franchise and I can safely say that any time Nintendo announces anything Star Fox related I can't help but be disappointed.

I don't want to be that person, but if Retro is working on a Star Fox racing game that's just about the most hype killing scenario for me. I trust Retro to deliver an amazing game if your a fan of that franchise or genre. I'm not one of those people who thinks DKC:R and Tropical Freeze were wastes of time. I could have said I'd prefer a different genre in a different franchise at the time they were announced but now that I've played them I can safely say they're beautiful, wonderful games.

Mainline Star Fox is maybe an hour and a half to two hours long. I've never been compelled to squeeze more out of the short experience the way I've been by shoot em ups like Ikaruga or Bayonetta. I don't want to equate game length with game value but I can't help but do that a bit with the Star Fox games. You get a couple hours of rails shooter and not a whole lot of reason to go back again and again and again. It doesn't feel tight enough to have a high skill ceiling and the gameplay isn't satisfying enough to warrant becoming a high level player.

But maybe it's just me. I've never loved rails shooters but I also used to not like character action games until Bayonetta's Switch port clicked with me and now I love them.

What say you? Is it just me or does Star Fox kinda suck?
Its not just you. I've never been a huge fan of Star Fox. It just never clicked with me. I do hope they release a new one soon so the fans can play it. I know people miss it dearly

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
Only Star Fox 64 is great. Every other game ranges from OK to subpar. It's down there with Yoshi in terms of consistently disappointing franchises Nintendo keeps pushing hard for some embarrassing reason.

Oct 25, 2017
Wait.... wut?

Did you play at its release or after the fact?

It was mindblowing when it first released, and is still a damn good game.

I played it for the first time in 1997 after playing 64.
I thought it looked horrendous. It looked like absolute shit compared to Descent and Quake, which I had played years earlier (though I understand Star Fox came out a bit earlier), so it wasn't at all impressive for early 3D for me either.
I'm not the type of person to that subscribes to games "aging" either. I thought Star Fox felt stiff and not particularly fun. I had similar complaints with Descent in 1994. Really I didn't feel like it had anything going for it other than "Ooooh, 3D on the Super Nintendo."
Overall it was just very underwhelming to me as someone who had already been playing much better shooters that all released within a year or two after Star Fox. I also had a few light gun games on the NES and Wolfenstein 3D on PC which I felt were more fun too.

I also thought the original F-Zero sucked, though X and GX are amazing.

GooZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. The star fox series is the least interesting one for me.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's one of Nintendo's biggest mishandled properties, but I really enjoy most of the games despite their big, often inexcusable flaws.

I still hope for more proper entries to the series.

I saw the new/old furry waifus of Star Fox 2. I wish they would make a good Star Fox game.

It's a shame such well-designed furry waifus have gotten so little exposure.

Tilt_shift

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Australia
Animal Crossing, Pokemon, Kirby all fall before Starfox in my opinion. Ive just never had and interest, nor pull to try them at all.

The only thing that Yoshi holds over Starfox is the incredible Yoshis Island on the SNES. Thats probably a qualifier for my top 10 game of all time!