• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
Some dude messaged me on discord saying that they accidentally reported me for a ban and they tried to appeal to steam that they made a mistake

Now u had to do the same and I'm supposed to buy my games back? The admin said it'll be refunded but I suspected it was a scam and refused

They seem like a verified steam admin but I'm not taking any chances

Instead of taking both our words for it, I'm asked to do some skeezy things

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Some dude messaged me on discord saying that they accidentally reported me for a ban and they tried to appeal to steam that they made a mistake

Now u had to do the same and I'm supposed to buy my games back? The admin said it'll be refunded but I suspected it was a scam and refused

It's a scam. I've had this exact thing too.

Just block it, ignore it, and it will go away. Nothing will happen.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan

Do NOT listen to that person and click any links they give you. Its a BOT. Sadly scams like this are not an uncommon sight on STEAM. Report them as many as you see.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
You were banned after a single report and lost your purchased games?!

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, it's a scam. There's no such thing as a 'Steam admin'. If you clicked their link, change your Steam password, turn on Steam Guard and it'll probably be worthwhile doing a malware scan to boot.

Adnor

Oct 25, 2017
It's a known scam.

Gonna use this thread to warn the other common scam, this one on Steam. Someone from your friendlist (who has fallen from the scam) will message you asking if you can vote for their, or a friend's, CSGO team for a tournament, and link you a site that will ask you to link your Steam profile with that site to vote. The popup it shows IS NOT A REAL STEAM POPUP, SOMETHING THAT LOOKS LIKE ONE INSIDE THE SITE, do not, I repeat DO NOT put your password in that, because it's a scam.

OP
OP
Chumunga64

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
It's a known scam.

Gonna use this thread to warn the other common scam, this one on Steam. Someone from your friendlist (who has fallen from the scam) will message you asking if you can vote for their, or a friend's, CSGO team for a tournament, and link you a site that will ask you to link your Steam profile with that site to vote. The popup it shows IS NOT A REAL STEAM POPUP, SOMETHING THAT LOOKS LIKE ONE INSIDE THE SITE, do not, I repeat DO NOT put your password in that, because it's a scam.
Super glad I did not give any info

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
A verified steam admin is not going to message you on discord or anywhere lmao. Just think about that for a minute

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
It's a known scam.

Yep I got suckered by this one a while back. Luckily I was able to keep my account. I suspect it is because there are no expensive CS:GO skins in my account

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
It's a known scam.

A colleague fell for this scam.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
Haven't heard of this so good to know. Does seem obviously fake though so even without this thread i don't think I'd fall for it lol. I hope i wouldn't have anyways.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
It's a common scam attempt, so much so that this banner is now on top of actual Valve employee profiles.

jkBlBG0.png

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017
Also, if you haven't done this already, enable Steam Guard. It's an added step, but definitely worth protecting your account.

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
It's a known scam.

Holy shit someone messaged me asking to do just this a few months ago. I opened the link and I saw red flags when it asked me for my Steam login details. Website looked sus and also had no official information on it that I could verify so I closed the page. Thanks for mentioning this.

Deleted member 10623

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 30, 2021
Bro, I don't care what age ur are you can't be this gullible. Life is going to be a wreck if you get fooled by shit like this.

razakin

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Baffles me how people could even fall into this scam, why would Steam admins or workers even use Discord to contact you about your Steam account? I mean, are people lacking common sense or something when they fall into scams like this (unless they're early teens or something).

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Anyone writing you over Discord about Steam = scam, always.

I would even say people writing you there asking you for anything, clicking on links, doing things are 99% scam. Just ignore it.

peixe2

Apr 26, 2021
I'm confused. If your account was still working fine, why did you think it was real??

Gumbie

Oct 28, 2017
You can barely get Steam support to email you back much less get direct messages from them on Steam lol

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

Nope, that's a scam.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I've had this scam happen to me a while ago, it's a classic scam. I didn't trust it and googled/searched this interaction in the discord group and it happened a bunch to others as well.

Scammer grew kinda impatient with me while I was looking stuff up didn't respond quickly enough, since he was contacting me during the day when I was working.

Contact the discord admin of the group to ban that scammer of the channel.

OP
OP
Chumunga64

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
now I feel bad for amking this thread

I found out it was a scam right after I made it and I didn't fall for it

let me contact a mod to close this thread

Hecht

Pushin’ me down, pushin’ me down, pushin’ me down
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017