Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I am curious to hear what people think about everything introduce into the FF7R universe these past 24 hours. It seems like the offerings regarding FF7R and Squares plan for the "VII" franchise went from "0" to "wtf?!" in the matter of hours. We went from them remaking the story of FF7 as a AAA game told over several parts, but now part 1 is getting its own DLC that drags in older compilation story lines, a cell phone battle royale game that is a prequel, a compilation compilation phone game, and no mention on the path the mainline remake will take.

Is this too much too fast? Is Square Enix jumping the shark here? Are they devaluing the story of the remake and dragging it all into the ground with complicating everything with all of this side stuff so early into the journey of the Remake?

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
FF7 will be something they'll milk for all it's worth. I wouldn't expect FF7R pt2 for another few years still so they have to release some DLC in the mean time

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Seems expected to me. Kitase said (I think it was Kitase?) they wanna give people something between Parts, so this is likely that.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
FF7 compilation jumped the shark like 2 times before FF7 remake was ever announced so it is only fit =P

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
Can't jump the shark that was previously jumped the minute they said it was going to be episodic

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
No.

Other than the BR game which is clearly a cash-in I think the moves are smart. If the ending of FF7R and the trailer for the Yuffie episode are any indication then they are amalgamating a lot of the FF7 spin-off stories into FF7R long-term. So it makes sense to do something like Ever Crisis to make sure your audience can easily catch up on all those stories.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
But this is not what jumping the shark is? They're just continually milking the most extremely popular one of their Final Fantasies. They've done this before, they'll keep doing it because FF7 is FF7.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Nah seems like a good way to catch up on the full story, would've liked a PS5 version but whatever.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah that's not what 'jumping the shark', a statement wherein a long running series desperately scrambles a poorly conceived attempt at recapturing audience attention, means.

FFVII is being milked for all its worth and has been since the Compilation started in those dark days of the mid-00s.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
They're pretty much doing the same what they did when they first did the FF7 compilation. Only difference is that the remake is now part of it. While I was kinda "eeeh" about all of this back then, I'm all in for the ride now. Will it be good? Will it be bad? Who knows. Time will tell. It won't ruin the original game for me. I'm just going to enjoy this moment.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't jumping the shark. The BR is a way to hit an audience that won't normally play the games, while Ever Crisis is a way to let people experience a slightly revamped story of the previous spin-offs but without needing to port games where the reception was mixed at best.

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
They did this when Advent Children came out (Advent Children, Before Crisis, Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus), makes sense to go all-in now while the iron is still hot - and seeing as FF7R is a PS+ game for March, they expect a lot of new and renewed interest in this game and likely they weren't 100% sure of the pipeline when REMAKE first released.

alphacat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like Ever Crisis will be a more faithful remake to the original FF7, while FF7R2 will explore new story beats set in an alternate universe. I would guess they're trying to providing something for everyone. Not sure if they're jumping the shark just yet, but FF7R's ending has me extremely wary.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I guess if it jumped the shark it was Sephiroth trying to change history and introducing parallel dimensions. None of that stuff was in the original, which had a more human and relatable story.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
if FF7R didn't jump the shark for you, a DLC explaining what Yuffie was up to won't be either. A compilation of FF7 was expected, I mean shit's gotten loooooooong by now, and if KH had TWO compilation, FF7 having one isn't that far fetched.

falconhoof17

Jul 12, 2019
I don't think so. Personally I'm very excited for the battle royale, I love BR games and FF7 and it looks like they've really gone all out to make it a BR with all the classic final fantasy features so I'm gonna love it.
I also think it'll be being used to fund remake part 2 via mtx, it's a good thing for the series.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is really a thread I would expect to see in a niche enthusiastic forum.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, Dirge stuff was already referenced in the main game of REMAKE, was it not? Thought Hojo said something.

The Battle Royal one is jumping the shark, because that game is gonna sink and die on land.

u_neek

Oct 28, 2017
FFVII will get milked until the end of time, and I'm sort of okay with that as long as it doesn't take away resources from the development of Part 2.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
This has all been planned out

They'll have a roadmap for this entire FF7R project I'm assuming

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
IMO people weren't paying close enough attention to Remake if they got thrown off by the appearance of Weiss in there. The first game was full of little call-outs to the compilation and an entire level set in a Deep Ground laboratory.

Given that they are doing so many parts they really have to pull in this stuff, you can't tell an interesting enough story that's just the same old story padded out into multiple games. Embrace the trash, chaos reigns. It looks like fun, prepare for Gackt. He will make you come by his hand

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
I won't rest until we have Star Wars EU-style back stories for every background character in the game.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
I think a better analogy would be that they are milking Final Fantasy VII for all that it's worth. They're probably going to have an episode for Cid, Cait Sith, and Vincent as they frame out episodes 2, 3, 4, etc. and they'll continue to pull in elements from the compilation. They'll introduce new characters (see: Jessie going from an NPC to a cast member and of course Roche), being back compilation characters, stretch the plot out into wild & wacky directions, and otherwise continue to make an absolute fortune with FFVII-related products over the next decade.

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
Don't know. Don't care. I'm tired of being worried and stressing about the future. They did an amazing job with FF7R so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and I'll see how the Yuffie stuff and mobile games plays out.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Personally I think the franchise is ridiculous at this point, and is far removed from the charm of the original game.

I consider myself a pretty big FF fan and I can't bring myself to care about the newer 7 stuff... so I guess I'm not sure who it's for that is generating this kind of money. Maybe it's big in Japan?

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
It jumped the shark when it introduced Gackt as a major character in the story and crippled their ability to do more with such an important character.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
FF7R and Nomura are a complete joke.

They are going to drag this "EXTENDED REMAKE TIMELINE" for a decade or so.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
the compilation compilation phone game is the only thing of interest to me, as the art assets are aesthetically what I want out of a FFVII remake

hopefully they're developed into a full game at some point.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
FF7 is the game that Square goes back every now and then to milk the shit out of it, then wait when it's run dry until it has more milk again.

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
Final Fantasy VII Remake makes you want to know all the previous entry in the series.

Final Fantasy VII Ever Crisis is the remake that allow you to play and discover all of this without dusting off your PSP. I see absolutely no issue with it.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
I just can't understand being cynical after the amazing ffviir and that GODLIKE soundtrack. People are also getting a more faithful remake of the entire compilation with EC.

Little kid me in the 90's would have been wildin' the fuck out... smh.