• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gunblade

• It’s cool

Votes: 453 29.1%
  • It’s dumb

Votes: 244 15.7%
  • It’s both

Votes: 859 55.2%

• Total voters

KaCo

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
May 22, 2018
It the coolest and I don't want to or need to understand why. It just is for me.

Also, I'm talking about Squall's one.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Poetry in motion

AhjkJId.gif

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
It's so freakin' awesome! If the Gunblade fired ammunition, then it'd be dumb. The firing mechanism is for added cutting power and close range explosive force. Now that's galaxy brain entertainment, lol.

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
I was unreasonably annoyed by the design and wound up dropping the game for like a year.

Is that a Nomura design? Or is it one of those things that everybody thinks is a Nomura design but it's somebody else.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
It's so freakin' awesome! If the Gunblade fired ammunition, then it'd be dumb. The firing mechanism is for added cutting power and close range explosive force. Now that's galaxy brain entertainment, lol.
ah, a connoisseur.
The ones in XIV can shoot tho, i don't remember if you can shoot as a Gunbreaker (gunblade class) tho.
And the gunblade in Parasite Eve 2 is a shotgun too.

Dunfish

Oct 29, 2017
Squall's gun blade is dumb

Seifer's gun blade is cool

Net result - Final Fantasy 8 is the greatest Final Fantasy game

closer

Oct 25, 2017
like everything in final fantasy, it's both.

except shoopufs, shoopufs are exclusively cool

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Pressing R1 to pull the trigger on the gunblade right as you slashed someone was the coolest shit ever. The dualshock and explosion was bliss.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I barely remember Squall using the gun part of it much. Went through the whole game without knowing you had to push a button on attacks.

Dylan M.

Feb 11, 2020
I think the main thing that makes something like that dumb is just when the world does not sufficiently justify why people would find themselves in close-quarters combat and that same world has lots of guns.

If for some reason guns started to be less effective in our own real-world combat, for some reason, people might turn to something like a gun-blade. But there would need to be a reason for it—magic, special armor, etc.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Y'know, this is my first time getting a good look at the weapon, and it's clearly designed to look cool, but it doesn't even shoot. That's dumb as hell!

HotStunt

Oct 27, 2017
It's dumb because the way it works makes no sense whatsoever. But it also looks kinda cool so whatever.

Stiletto

Jan 4, 2023
Its awesome in every way. They wanted something cool to follow up Cloud's iconic buster sword and they nailed it imo.

Lightning's is cool too, but hers' shoots bullets instead of triggering an explosion of energy into the barrel, which is less cool.

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
imagine using the kickback of a double barreled shotgun to further stab or slash your blade. That is the purpose of the Gunblade.

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
Cool because it's a gun and a sword, but also dumb because pulling the trigger vibrates the sword in FFVIII.

In XIII it could at least turn into a gun that fires.

I think in XIV it uses magical bullets to enhance it? Honestly that sounds the coolest, any FFXIV Gunbreakers want to elaborate on it please let me know.

XIV gunblades used cartridges (ammo) powered by the user's magic to shoot them as small explosions at enemies, or to at a close range explosion to their slashes. They can even shoot barriers to help themselves or allies. Their unique limit break animation shoots a bunch of cartridges at once to make a massive barrier to protect the party.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
psh, everyone here who thinks it's dumb probably thinks the Reiterpallasch is cool.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
It's dumb and cool and it's a million times better than that glorified bayonet Lightning uses.

You pull the trigger to vibrate the blade and make it fuck people up more with the cut, that's awesome.

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
Somehow both. The design is insane, but the actual use-case is stupid beyond words.

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
XIV gunblades used cartridges (ammo) powered by the user's magic to shoot them as small explosions at enemies, or to at a close range explosion to their slashes. They can even shoot barriers to help themselves or allies. Their unique limit break animation shoots a bunch of cartridges at once to make a massive barrier to protect the party.

That's badass. XIV gunblade is pretty cool.

VIII is still dumb-cool cuz it just vibrates the sword, and XIII is practicool. Practical because it has a close and long range mode, cool that it can transform between the two.

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Also, it's not that far off from the real thing. Just that the handle looks more modern and revolver like.

Cutlass_pistol_on_display_at_Salem_Pirate_Museum%2C_Massachusetts.jpg

The Quentulated Mox

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 10, 2022
The worlds of final fantasy imply so many wondrous new things hitherto undreamt of by man. For example, imagine all the fascinating new forms of carpal tunnel syndrome that surely exist in the world of FF8

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden

thillygooth

AVALANCHE
Jan 5, 2023
Too bad there wasn't an Agents of Shield videogame.

I can't justify posting Mac's Shotgun Axe :(