Votes: 585 39.0%
  • Action 52

Votes: 61 4.1%
  • Other

Votes: 49 3.3%

• Total voters

NANA

Oct 26, 2017
So I'm playing the master chief collection on PC and I was looking at the install menu and then it hit me.. This is the best collection of games in the same package since The Orange Box.

fWU71Fs.jpg

Now the biggest difference that gives TOB a slight edge is that three of TOB titles, Team Fortress 2, Portal, and Half-Life 2: Episode 2, were new, launching with the release of the collection. Versus one in the MCC, Halo 2 Anniversary remaster.

I know I'm so LTTP but I don't see this point brought up often in recent times, so I'm wondering what Era thinks about this. Now before you say no it's the Uncharted or Mario collection or whatever, think about the quality and the quantity of titles in these two packages. TOB has 5 games (4 SP, 1 MP) and launched at $50, MCC has 6 games (5 SP/co-op/MP, 1 SP/co-op) and it's $40. Not counting discounts of course.

For me personally when thinking about the titles in these collections, it comes down to Half-Life 2, Episode 2, and Portal, versus Halo CE, Halo 2, Halo 3, and Halo Reach.. Gotta go with Halo MCC.

Bonus article: How Valve released five of its greatest games in a single day

Last edited:

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
When you consider MCC as an overall package and the work they put in to make them look so much better, it's that easily.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I think for the pound for pound quality and diversity of the games, the orange box still takes the... cake.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
a bunch of great, but ultimately similar halo games vs three of the best games ever, each very unique from one another

MCC has worked itself into a great package but my money is still on TOB overall, especially for it's time

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Orange Box is the easy choice but they have finally turned the master chief collection into a worthwhile product that is easily recommendable. Very little can beat the Orange box though.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
It took years for MCC to get to where it is today, whereas Orange Box was good out of the box, so that.

May 17, 2018
MCC is good value for money, but, that VS a collection with three of the greatest games of all time and it's not even close.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
It's frankly impossible to top the MCC in terms of value. You get four of the best video games ever made and Halo 4, all running at 4K, 120 FPS on Series X, and the game can regularly be snagged for less than $20.

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
MCC is a better deal if you are into Halo or interested in it, but The Orange Box had vastly different games packed together, and three of those were brand new, so it's kinda hard to top that.

In an industry where publishers would sooner release two simultaneous versions of a single game (cough cough Pokemon), a publisher combining three brand new games into one package was practically a steal.

Nov 8, 2017
MCC is a great product in 2021, but it was a very bad product at launch and took years to get better.

Even if MCC had worked as advertised out the gate, you could still easily argue that getting 3 brand new games + 2 old ones was a better deal than getting 4 old games in one package (eventually 5/6 old games with ODST and Reach).

In terms of which collection has better games, that's highly taste dependent naturally. I think Portal is the best game out of both collections.

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
I world love to get the Orange Box on newer platforms, but for what it is, it is a good collection of games. I still really like the MCC and all that it is bringing to the table? The two are similar but to me MCC is better.

LiC

Dec 1, 2017
www.nintendo.com

My Nintendo Store – Nintendo Official Site

Shop at the My Nintendo Store for exclusive Nintendo merchandise, video games in digital and physical formats, Nintendo Switch™ systems, and much more.

This was put on sale for $10 once. There has never been a better deal in gaming history than that, but even the "full" price is competitive for the top spot.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
For Diversity maybe Orange box but

Orange Box required you to rebuy HL2 just to get episode 1.

Yeah this.

I think you just get way way more game and time for your money with MCC, which is the question in the OP. If it was just, which did you like better, I can see Orange Box winning. But in terms of what was the best deal? Man I gotta go with MCC.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ

Storminormin

Jan 14, 2018
MCC being half broken for years will forever taint my impressions/feelings on it.
They f'd up bad and took almost 6 years to make it right.

Kr1spy

Oct 28, 2017
Silver Spring, MD
Maybe if 343i hadn't completely broken the MCC last year and destroyed the framerate in all the campaigns. It was a locked 60fps when it came out in 2014 on Xbox One and yet in 2019 on an Xbox One X, I was getting drops down to 30fps. This situation persists and is only fixed by purchasing an Xbox Series X. I want to like the MCC but man they don't care at all about fixing these issues.

Also, the Orange Box has at least two of the greatest games ever made, so it'll probably never be topped by another collection.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
My vote is Orange Box.

This is the one that came with my ps1. Well, 3.5 to be specific which had a couple more games I guess.

What do you mean? Or do you mean episode 2? Because episode 1 was definitely sold by itself, because that's how I originally got it.
Sorry. You're right. I meant episode 2.

Valve originally announced Black Box, which was just the new stuff but for cheaper - then cancelled it and only released the more expensive orange box.

Yamajian

Oct 30, 2017
Orange box included 3 BRAND NEW games, all of them amazing and still talked about and played to this day.

Can you guys imagine getting 3 brand new games from a super respected AAA dev in one package these days?

Also, it fucking worked.

No contest.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
The Orange Box had three brand new games in it, that pushes it ahead for me.
Both packages are super impressive though.

Exactly what I was going to post after reading the thread title. MCC undeniably has more hours of content, but it's pretty ridiculous looking back that the Orange Box featured three brand new games, one of which is still getting support today, all three of which were absolutely fantastic. Pretty nuts. MCC was in a pretty sorry state at launch, and while it's neat to have all the games in one place I personally never got around to actually replaying all the campaigns. It's a shit ton of content on paper, but not all that much that I'm actually excited to play.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I think Halo MCC is good, but I still think Orange Box trumps it. What seals the deal for me is the Halo games are all one type of game and none were new (but were remasters) when released. Orange Box not only were mostly new, high quality games when it hit, but I think the variety of the Orange Box pushes it ahead. The Halo collection you'd only like if you liked Halo, but Orange Box I'd say Half-Life 2 and its episodes, Portal, and Team Fortress 2 all were excellent games that also each were close enough but different in style to provide a broader experience.

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
At launch?

On console?
Halo without a doubt. And it's not close. Other than Portal, by the time it launched and with the ports, playing through HL2 was more a curiosity than a great experience

On PC? I'll listen to other arguments.

If you're talking right this second? It's definitely Halo everywhere

portal was an absolute revelation when it dropped though.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Well the orange box has the vastly better games, so that one is still tops. Although stuff like Super Mario All Stars on the SNES is probably up there with it.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Orange Box. OP already mentions 3 of them were new, and all of them had a long lasting impact.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Well I bought The Orange Box for $25 from Best Buy on Black Friday about a month after it came out and I've played Team Fortress 2 for over 2900 hours and still play it a few times a month with some of the friends I made on the NeoGaf TF2 server so I'll go with that option.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I have both (though I didnt realize what the Orange box was until now) - cause I had gotten all of the games at different times.

Also I bought the Halo MCC just last month but havent played it yet.

Though I would say Metal Gear Legacy was a good collection of games (MGS1, MGS2, MGS3, MGS4, MGSPW, MG1 and MG2).

Personally, my favorite is the Kingdom Hearts All in One (though I have the 1.5+2.5 collection and 2.8 separately) - think its the best value for what it contains - 6 games and 3 movies/VNs.

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD
I love halo like crazy but I could easily see people arguing the orange box just because of the variety of games, all of which are excellent.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Eternal TF2 Multiplayer

GOAT games Half Life 2 + Eps and fucking Portal.

3 of them NEW. This was not just no old game collection.

Orange Box cant be beat. Probably wont.

TigerBrownie

One Winged Slayer
May 9, 2018
Xbox Games Pass is probably gaming's greatest deal.

If we are only talking about physical games, then the KH collection is the best deal imo.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
Should we take into account the work that was put into the Halo remasters? Cause some of them look like a new game

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
The actual best deal in gaming right now is Rare Replay. At the time of the Orange Box's release it was probably Sega Genesis Collection (on PS2 and PSP).