Votes: 585 39.0%
  • Action 52

Votes: 61 4.1%
  • Other

Votes: 49 3.3%

• Total voters

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Rare replay is a great collection for a curiosity and for preservation of history but most of those games are bad.

This is an extremely hot take imo. Most of those games are regarded as classics. Stuff like Battletoads, Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie, Blast Corps, Perfect Dark, Viva Pinata off the top of my head are all fine today, even if some of them are just flawed games.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
I don't know if this is the consensus now but the common view back when Mega Collection released was that Sonic Jam was a far superior collection. The extra games you get in Mega Collection (Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, Sonic 3D Blast and Sonic Spinball) don't really add much and the bonus features are totally lacking compared to Sonic World. Not to mention straight ROM ports versus the ground-up ports in Jam which allowed Sonic Team to add some extra gameplay options (difficulty levels, a proper save system, the ability to turn off time-out, time trial, Special Stage runs, spindashing in Sonic 1).

The flip side that I've come to appreciate more now is that the Mega Collection ROMs do play better than the Saturn ports, with Sonic 2 in particular having some odd slowdown issues and the general problems that come from using CD audio.

Also no one in America had a Saturn anyway so it was kind of a moot point for most people. Still, there was one thing that was cut from Mega Collection that would have made it the easy champion:

Sonicmegacollection_soniccdmenu.png
But it had Ristar tho! That puts it above anything!

Matty H

Oct 31, 2017
This is an extremely hot take imo. Most of those games are regarded as classics. Stuff like Battletoads, Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie, Blast Corps, Perfect Dark, Viva Pinata off the top of my head are all fine today, even if some of them are just flawed games.
Dunno bout hot take. When the collection was released most reviews said it was a cool collection but the games didn't hold up. That's why I didn't pick it up straight away and waited for deep discount.
I did eventually play it and remembered a bunch of the games from before I even had the concept of good games or bad games. In today's context though, the early Rare games do not hold up.