Votes: 61 4.1%
  • Other

Votes: 49 3.3%

• Total voters

DarkSora

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Is this a serious thread?

Action 52 has Cheetahmen. FUCKING Cheetahmen. That automatically makes it thr best deal in gaming.

OP
OP
NANA

NANA

Oct 26, 2017
Rare replay is a great collection for a curiosity and for preservation of history but most of those games are bad.
Couldn't agree more. I totally forgot about Rare Replay despite buying it day 1, I respect it but almost everything in that collection was just not good or didn't stand the test of time. Like I said in the OP, you gotta consider both the quantity and the quality, not just one of the two. Otherwise Action 52 should win this.

Deleted member 23475

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
MCC is good value for money, but, that VS a collection with three of the greatest games of all time and it's not even close.
MCC got also "at least" 3 games of all time you know (H1, H2, H3 and with active multiplayer) + future seasons.
To me MCC is the clear winner judging the incredible amount of content here, second would be rare replay and third Orange box.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I'd rather play Mario All Stars even when I prefer the original versions of those games.

Actually, something like the Sega Megadrive Classics on PS4/Xbox One would win easily.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OP, repeat yourself over and over again that three of the games were brand new in the orange box

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Yeah it's The Orange Box, especially from the choices given.

Three NEW games in a single package, all of them top-tier even today. HL2e2 is as good as Half-Life's ever been, with some ingenious levels/puzzles (that giant bridge!) and intense encounters (pretty much any time a Hunter shows up, and that incredible Strider battle at the end). TF2 got endless content updates on PC and still maintains a gigantic player base, and Portal is still talked about as one of the best of all time. Even came with HL2 and HL2e1 for free to catch people up. Hell, even Peggle Extreme, which used to be bundled with it as a bonus game (it's now free for everyone), is a great little tie-in.

Everything in it also worked on day one. ¬_¬

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
The Orange Box had three brand new games in it, that pushes it ahead for me.
Both packages are super impressive though.
First post pretty muxh summarizes it.
Master Chief Collection may be great value, but there's no brand new games in it, which the Orange Box had at the time.
And even then Microsoft themselves still has an even bigger bundle in Rare Replay, which has atleast the same amount of quality games in it plus more.
And it has more variety, because MCC has Halo and Halo in it, they are all shooters that play very similarly.

Oct 28, 2017
I only bought Orange Box for Portal. I didn't care about anything else in it. If we wanna talk about great collections Sonic Mega Collection Plus is probably king to me. Especially so due to the fact that despite countless Sonic re-releases after it, there's no comparison. It's still the only way to play Sonic 3 & Knuckles on a home console other than the original hardware.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
The Orange Box being (mostly) new games definitely makes it winner over collections of ports you probably already played. Half-Life 2ep.2 alone could've been that price. It still has no competition and likely never will.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I think the number of full story campaigns, including full coop and competitive MP (including splitscreen), makes MCC the easy choice at this point.

I can understand the variety of Orange Box being a legit point in its advantage, but that also means there's more likely to be content in it that a given player doesn't actually care about. I mostly bought it for Portal, for example, and owned several of the other games in the collection. It's still an utterly excellent collection. Mind you, I think the case could easily be made for something like Rare Replay being an even BETTER bundle than the examples from this premise. Same with Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection.

That said, if your standard is how these games play currently, I think MCC is the easy choice.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
I guess it's partly based on your tastes. For example, as someone who only played MGS2 by 2013, the Metal Gear Legacy Collection was EASILY one of the best deals I've ever enjoyed.

This was fantastic.

sonicmegacollectionplus-1000x665w.jpg

And while I never bought this on PS3, I'd love a similar one on PS5.

71VxHX%2B0L6L._SL1135_.jpg

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
Orange Box has some variety in it though, if you don't like Halo and/or FPS you're kind of out of luck.

Ombala

Oct 30, 2017
Orange box worked fine at release, MCC had alot of problems which took forever too fix.
I would definitely say Orange box

Zampano

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2017
The one thing I wish The Orange Box could take from MCC is the continued support. It was a bit sad to see TF2 on consoles get dropped so quickly as it was great. That said all the other games look great on Series X. Wish they were 60FPS.

NekoNeko

Coward
Oct 26, 2017
One has three brilliant game in it and the other has 5 games ranging from decent (Halo 3) to absolute trash (Halo 4).

Easy choice.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
Orange Box is almost free every Steam sale

These are great deals too, but I'm salty that it's cheaper to rebuy every old KH game AND KH3 than to only buy 2.8.
Just to rub some salt in the wound (kidding, obviously):
currently in europe i can get Story so Far (19€) and KH3 (15€) für less then MoM (40€ on switch), and for only 6€ more than Bloodstained (28) on switch.
There is a great deal, and then there is just stupidly cheap for such a collection. I still dont own a PS4, but i own the story so far since last summer (was not shure it it would stay that cheap)

But honestly: there where so many truly great collections, that im not shure how those 2 stand out. (Big factor: not that big on FPS, boored to hell with Halo, and Portal is a 10/10 milestone game, so ...)

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's still the Orange Box, if only for the variety and innovation in that package.
ADDENDUM: I mean, you got Half-Life 2, a really damn good game that nobody's properly upended and taken all the good lessons from even today, compare with Halo where I can easily say other games have taken all it's good ideas and done better with them. Then you have Portal and TF2, two of the most influential games to come out of the late oughties. No amount of samey decorative tissue paper FPS's can compare.
The Orange Box wasn't broken when it released....
MCC is still in a bum spot now. I can't play through the campaigns without awful stuttering after ten minutes on PC.

Last edited:

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
MCC is still in a bum spot now. I can't play through the campaigns without awful stuttering after ten minutes on PC.
I got what they where after: pushing a collection to get non fans up and running and push Halo even further to be a huge franchise... i have the feeling it kinda backfired, with how it was handeled in the last years.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Portal is the GOAT and created my favourite genre. So Orange Box.

If it wasn't for Portal then I doubt we'd have had.. Portal 2, but also Talos Principle, Manifold Garden, QUBE, Turing Test, Witness etc etc. Just love this genre so much.

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
I'm a huge Halo fan, but I preordered MCC and I'm still a little salty on it even though I do still play it occasionally. The Orange Box, though... wow. It had A LOT of variety. I think The Orange Box squeaks by just a hair.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
On the one hand Orange Box had Half Life 2 + Ep1 along with brand new amazing games in Portal and Team Fortress 2, but it also did have Ep2 that has left us hanging for over a decade.

(Even taking MCC as a fully working product instead of the absolute dumpster fire when it launched, it's still repackaged older games. Orange Box wins easily on pretty much every metric except quantity.)

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
MAY I BRING THE NINTENDO PUZZLE COLLECTION TO THE TABLE
ErELpB_XAAMxl_V

Sequel to Panel de Pon, Sequel to Yoshi's Cookie, first Japanese localisation of Dr Mario 64
AND
GBA versions of all of them that you can play by connecting your GBA to the Gamecube and can then play untethered from Gamecube

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I'll still say the Orange Box because it was what it was right out of the gates. MCC is a great value but it also took years for it to be the value it truly is now, and while I appreciate the time and effort done, it took massive negative feedback to get them to do it. Orange Box still wins.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Orange Box wasn't broken for years, so probably that one

The Zelda Promotional Disc on GameCube definitely deserves a shout out as well

Oneiroi17

Jan 11, 2018
UK
I prefer the MCC to the OB, but I agree with others that having three totally new games in it, and having a range of game types, gives OB the edge. MCC isn't any good for you at all if you don't like Halo.

PieOMy

Nov 15, 2018
Boston
The Orange Box is an insane. I got it for Christmas in 2007 along side a PS3, Uncharted, and Assassin's Creed. It is the most memorable time in gaming for me.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Guess it depends on what you value in a package: quantity or variety. You get more Halo as far as features and game modes and support, but Orange Box has 3 distinct games.

May 19, 2020
yeah MCC is fine and all now but released as a total shitshow

context matters, orange box was all new games and all those legendary games worked at release

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Orange Box wins at the time of it's release because 3 of the games included were brand new, and it didn't need tons of updates to make it a worthy collection.

MCC wins in 2021 if you're going to pick one up now because it has a lot more content in it. Orange Box has also lost some value with one of it's biggest games going f2p (tf2) and it's other big titles often being available for practically free during any Steam sale.

Petohtalrayn

Nov 3, 2017
The Orange Box is still much better. Just overall there is more genuine creativity and thought in each game of The Orange Box. Who knows what tops it out in overall work hours and budget and all that. But Halo is just bland crap at the end of the day.

Lurcharound

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Orange Box obviously. 3 brand new titles, all great and one of them one of the most inventive titles ever vs a compilation should always win out. A compilation is a bunch of older games at a discount. Orange box was terrific value for new content.

Not really comparable IMHO. Would be better to compare MMC to other compilations such as MGS, etc.

Orange Box was fairly unique IMO.

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
I bought Halo 3 and The Orange Box day 1 when they released 2 weaks apart and Halo 3 by itself was a far better purchase, so...