JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
In modern American sports yeah. I'm sure there's some real fucking crazy football stories in the rest of the world.

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't there this soccer match in Brazil that ended up with a referee being beheaded? Might not have been a brawl but definitely the worst thing to happen in a sports venue, I'd reckon.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
Wasn't there this soccer match in Brazil that ended up with a referee being beheaded? Might not have been a brawl but definitely the worst thing to happen in a sports venue, I'd reckon.
yeah i've seen some crazy stories of referee violence in soccer before. that's far worse than the malice lol

with fans and players in the US, it's probably the worst though

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Maybe by reach of how many people saw it? It was a truly shocking display having players entering the stands and fighting with spectators and it was largely televised as well. So it all depends on your framing of "sports history". And actually, in the NBA, you could argue that Kermit Washington punching Rudy T so hard that he tasted his own spinal fluid was the ugliest fight in that league's history. But yeah, Malice at the Palace was a really bad moment for the league that resulted in massive changes in the league.

That said, you've got instances like a referee stabbing a player to death in amateur Brazilian soccer followed by that ref being lynched, beheaded, and quartered by friends & fans of the player that died. So there are clearly levels to this. But of course it wasn't something seen or learned about by many people. So the whole impact of ugliness comes into play.

Oct 25, 2017
Probably in recent history yeah

I would feel more sympathy for some of the players if they had actually punched the people responsible for throwing the cup, and not the dude next to him lol

PCfromNYC

Oct 25, 2017

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Between players? Nah.

Not even the worst involving fans. Soccer has that on lock.

I remember Rudy Tomjonovich almost dying after getting clocked during an NBA fight, and the whole Tod Bertuzzi thing in the NHL.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
As a lifelong Pacers fan who was really hoping Reggie would get his ring that year, this still hurts.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Artest's suspension is still like top 3 for length (that wasn't permanent), even more than Gilbert Arenas' (and his was for drawing a gun on another teammate in the locker room)

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
wasn't there a football match in mexico like last year where people were getting straight up murdered?

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
it wasn't the worst. It wasn't even bad. It's was fantastic. Jermaine O'Neal falcon punching a fan is still a top 10 all time NBA moment.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
Fans and players have been murdered over football matches. This doesn't even come remotely close and looks like a quiet evening in the 70s and 80s for football hooliganism and local rivalries.

Oct 26, 2017
I remember watching "The Malice in the Palace" live. Definitely the craziest sports event I've ever seen live on TV. There was blame to go all around. Out of control drunk funs. Poor security. Players losing composure. League not protecting players from abuse. All of those things combusted in a single moment of glorious television.

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
Malice in the Palace was the wildest thing I've ever seen live on TV. The Grantland longform on it was so good