• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Murfield

Oct 27, 2017
In my experience of online gaming, the people who use or threaten to use the report tool generally want to antagonise their teammates. I recently booted up DOTA2 and gave it a whirl and found myself getting mass reported for playing badly.

These systems are meant to prevent personal abuse and bullying but I find they only serve as a tool for abusers and bullies. Literally the most common first thing I hear from toxic plays is "I'm going to report you" or "everyone report <insert player's name>". If enough people report you, you can receive additional punishments as well.

I have never seen anything positive come out of these tools. And matchmaking generally has no shortage toxic players, in spite of them.

Zombie

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'd imagine they're the loud minority for the most part, and from my experience with Dota most of the people who make a big show about how they're going to report you for not playing the way they want you to have already used up their 3 reports per week on the first day they reset.

Kovacs

Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't surprise me. I had someone abusing me through messages on Overwatch recently as I'd picked "their" main (in Quick Play FFS). Then I got bunch of messages saying that I'd been reported and to "say goodbye to my account". Followed by another from another player saying "reported as well for lulz".

In fairness I reported the abuser and I had a notification next time I logged in saying that action had been taken against that person. But I was a bit worried that they'd just have some kind of automation that would just temp-ban anyone that was reported and I'd be caught in the crossfire as I could see that being abused in an instant.

Oct 28, 2017
If anyone is ever racist in a game, I'll check their Steam profile and its invariably got racist shit all over it. Always report em, always get a notification action has been taken.

I never report people for giving me shit, or acting like a goof. I just brush it off. Trolls only continue if they get fed.

Hong

Oct 30, 2017
As far as I'm aware people do use report features to harass others, but it rarely works. I know that in CS:GO (and probably DOTA?) the report feature works pretty well for reporting cheaters and getting them banned. But spamming reports in the hopes that some innocent person get banned never seems to work. I think you even get a cooldown in CS if you report too much.

It's toxic but what can you do.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
I guess it depends on the game, and on how reports are handled. In World of Warships you have to specify what you're reporting for, the server-side replays are checked if a player receives multiple reports per match, and bullshit reports are ignored. I think there were instances of people being reported for misbehavior in chat by trolls, only for chat logs to be checked and warnings logged against the trolls for their misbehavior in chat. So it can definitely be a positive tool when implemented and handled well. As most tools are, really.

Jader7777

Oct 26, 2017
Australia
DotA2 players will mass report bad players because it shoves all the bad players in low priority WHERE YOU DESERVE TO BE CASUAL SCUM- Uh, what I mean to say is, they are trying to curate the player base and they use mass reporting as a system to do so. As long as you stick to turbo unranked games, reporting doesn't do anything unless they can see chatlogs of you being abusive.

Reporting is basically treated like an ingame tool. Not an out of game solution to a social issue.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
On GTA V I'm muted from talking to players in game because I've been reported a number of times. The only time I ever fight people online is when they are griefers who try mess us up. And I wouldn't be talking in game anyway.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Yes. I have yet to play a game where its actually useful

I have a behaviour score of 10000 (highest possible) in Dota 2 and the atmosphere is still so toxic in most matches that I uninstall the game every couple of weeks

astro

Oct 25, 2017
In my experience of online gaming, the people who use or threaten to use the report tool generally want to antagonise their teammates. I recently booted up DOTA2 and gave it a whirl and found myself getting mass reported for playing badly.

These systems are meant to prevent personal abuse and bullying but I find they only serve as a tool for abusers and bullies. Literally the most common first thing I hear from toxic plays is "I'm going to report you" or "everyone report <insert player's name>". If enough people report you, you can receive additional punishments as well.

I have never seen anything positive come out of these tools. And matchmaking generally has no shortage toxic players, in spite of them.

This isn't a thing usually Dota is a very toxic game toward new players (and in general), Don't let it shake you in general.

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
I appreciate what they do in OW. They'll let you know if a person you reported has been banned (doesn't specify though).

On the flip side, I've never been banned because of trolls.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
i use it to report toxicity or spam in online games. there are definitely folks that peacock it around like they have complete control over reporting tools, but i feel like that kind of toxic team member is more likely to get actioned than anyone else. i'd like to believe that reporting tools have safeguards against reportbombing.

when reporting people properly, it's kind of hard to gage its effectiveness in my experience. in the vast majority of instances there's no feedback, so i can never tell if anything happened. Overwatch is like the one game that will say "hey, thanks that lead to action" which is nice; i think that feedback was added some months back.

there's probably a whole range of books that could be written about multiplayer games, player psychology, and the methods to shunt toxic elements in a community. i hope devs keep trying to figure it out, because games are better for it.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
No, it's not just used for bullying. It's there for legitimate reasons, which is reporting flaming and aggression, reporting intentional abuse of a hero's abilities, and for intentionally feeding and ruining games. That's it. If you report for any other reason, no action is taken. The loud minority who threaten to report just do nothing but either puff their chest out with empty threats or waste a report at the end of the match to make themselves feel better. If I couldn't report people intentionally feeding and ruining games just because a minority don't understand how the feature works, that would be absolutely terrible.

I've seen a lot of "Action has been taken against a player you reported" because I, like most players, use the report feature for its intended purpose. And it feels good when that happens.

Toxicity will never fully be stomped out, it's just the way it is in every big online game, but that's why you have a mute button too. Mute them, and do not reply. If you say nothing, a report against you will do nothing. If you retaliate, you can pick up a punishment you shouldn't have received had you not been goaded. If they begin to feed and do something a mute can't solve, you continue to hold your tongue and report them once the game is over and either take a break, or just move on. It's just a videogame, who cares.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
That kind of stuff does nothing in any decent report system. Just idiots wasting their time.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

The problem in Dota2 is that each of the 5 positions on the team have a different significance to the chance of winning. The most important spot (pos1) should usually be taken by the best or most experienced players. If you are new to the game, or a bad player in general, or just don't care if you'll win or not and only play because you're bored then you are not supposed to call that position and the more experienced players will usually call that spot.

If you still play on pos1 (aka steal it) because you somehow thought that you are an amazing player but utterly fail: yeah, people can report you because you just wasted 30-60 minutes of their time and made them lose mmr because of your own personal ignorant decision. Imho those reports are often deserved as well.

But reporting others for playing bad has usually pretty much zero impact and does Nothing.

OP
OP
Murfield

Murfield

Oct 27, 2017
The problem in Dota2 is that each of the 5 positions on the team have a different significance to the chance of winning. The most important spot (pos1) should usually be taken by the best or most experienced players. If you are new to the game, or a bad player in general, or just don't care if you'll win or not and only play because you're bored then you are not supposed to call that position and the more experienced players will usually call that spot.

If you still play on pos1 (aka steal it) because you somehow thought that you are an amazing player but utterly fail: yeah, people can report you because you just wasted 30-60 minutes of their time and made them lose mmr because of your own personal ignorant decision. Imho those reports are often deserved as well.

But reporting others for playing bad has usually pretty much zero impact and does Nothing.

I disagree, and valve clearly states that this is abusing the reporting system. In my case I got put in low priority so I wouldn't say that it does nothing. I will admit that almost never happens but it did.

Honest question; are you white?

Yes I am white. Do you think reporting is an effective mechanism for countering racism in game communities? I would think proper moderation would work better.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The report system in Rocket League is used a lot to deal with toxicity, and it has definitely been useful for that.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate what they do in OW. They'll let you know if a person you reported has been banned (doesn't specify though).
That lack of specificity is a problem though. Most times I have no idea how the person I reported got punished, for what, and for how long. The number of reports I give always supercedes the amount of resolutions I get, so as far as I'm concerned they're not keeping up with the pace of fuckery that goes on. The fact that they can certainly enact massive sweeping permaban waves for using aimbots or even stat tracking software also ain't a good look.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
I mean some people will use it for that... The only people who'd see that happen enough to have action taken against is likely streamers.

I don't. I only report cheaters and people who are dicks, I'm fine with people playing bad as long as they're not nasty. Unfortunately in Dota 2, there's a whole lot of dicks.

I don't think we should be removing reporting functionality because people use it in silly ways. I've had it pop up plenty of times saying someone I reported had action taken on them, and as I said, I've never reported for someone just playing bad. I think it should be improved though, for example I don't think enough punishment goes around in Dota 2 for arseholes who bitch, flame and shout racist/sexist/homophobic slurs. They basically get a few games in low prio and thats it. It's not even a slap on the wrist.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
It used to work before matchmaking became the norm. People used to play on dedicated servers with moderation teams, and it worked a bit like this forum.

It's not 1995 anymore. "Before matchmaking became the norm" players didn't even have a way to message each other outside the game. I don't know what point you're making anymore, are you suggesting removing player communication wholesale? Or what?

Also, "this forum" has a report option, and mods depend on users reporting messages. The volume of communication on Era dwarfs the volume of player communication on modern gaming platforms by many orders of magnitude, and mods don't monitor private messages unless they're reported (that alone would be a pretty big breach of privacy).

Seriously, it's like you didn't give this even five seconds of thought.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Never reported anyone, probably never will.
It's just video games to me.

But I can see how that might be different for others, so I hope (and expect) these report systems to work.

OP
OP
Murfield

Murfield

Oct 27, 2017
It's not 1995 anymore. "Before matchmaking became the norm" players didn't even have a way to message each other outside the game. I don't know what point you're making anymore, are you suggesting removing player communication wholesale? Or what?
This simply is not true: there was an long period in which x-fire was in usage and even steam friends before matchmaking became the norm.

Also, "this forum" has a report option, and mods depend on users reporting messages. The volume of communication on Era dwarfs the volume of player communication on modern gaming platforms by many orders of magnitude, and mods don't monitor private messages unless they're reported (that alone would be a pretty big breach of privacy).
Its pretty clear from my posts in this thread that I am not talking about systems which notify moderators, rather automated report/punishment systems that often are used in conjunction with matchmaking.

Seriously, it's like you didn't give this even five seconds of thought.
I am sorry if you have had to deal with racism in online gaming, but don't take it out on me.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
This simply is not true: there was an long period in which x-fire was in usage and even steam friends before matchmaking became the norm.

Its pretty clear from my posts in this thread that I am not talking about systems which notify moderators, rather automated report/punishment systems that often are used in conjunction with matchmaking.

I am sorry if you have had to deal with racism in online gaming, but don't take it out on me.

I misinterpreted the thread, then; it was absolutely not clear to me that you were talking about that. It's so unclear, in fact, that when I read the above post I first took it as you advocating for automated systems and against "human"-moderated ones. I actually agree that fully automated report / ban systems are a very poor and cheap replacement for actual human eyeballs checking reports and making the calls on bans. I mean, you're probably going to get few people disagreeing with you on that.

I would suggest editing your OP to make it clearer that's what you're talking about, because from reading the thread, more people have interpreted it as I did than not. Hell, if I were you I'd even ask a mod to change the title, because people don't always bother reading OPs.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Never played DOTA2, but it's surprising to hear that being reported instantly works against you.

I would have thought all these reports would first go to the dev side, where they investigate your behaviour/play and decide on the best course of action.

So that's a new low if a dev is punishing you for "playing badly", automated or not.

LiQuid!

Oct 26, 2017
I started playing Rainbow 6 Siege a couple of months ago, and I can personally confirm that no, I, in fact, use reporting all the time to report vile human beings for toxic, hateful behavior. I've taken to recording while playing so I can submit video footage thru Ubi's support website too because of the sheer amount of times I will hear people just blurt out a hard-R N-word apropos of fucking nothing at all. They are just being vile and shitty. I've reported people with Nazi iconography in their profile or hateful shit in their name. I don't know if my reports are doing anything, and it feels like I'm trying to fight off a cataclysmic flood with a roll of paper towels, but it makes me feel better.

The only thing I do that's even close to antagonistic reporting in Siege is sometimes I will report very obvious smurf accounts. I know those reports aren't doing anything, but smurfing is such a big problem in that game and I see it so often I need some way to vent

JinnAxel

Oct 30, 2017
No offense to op but reporting and subsequent action rarely happens due to your teammates frustration with your play. Action usually only happens if it's a trend in which case there may be more going on than you let on.

The automated systems tend to ignore outliers where you get reported for one off bad games. People threatening reporting due to poor play are just wasting their report and blowing steam. If anything most people complain that the report systems in these games aren't catching enough toxic people.