KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
By boringly mediocre, I mean Films that aren't bad enough that they would show up on worst of the year lists or you'd get some ironic enjoyment watching them for how bad they are, but also not good enough that you would actively recommend people go and check the films out. I can't think of a film studio that fits that description more than Illumination for films that all fall squarely in the "Meh" category.

To draw a comparison with other animation studios, Dreamworks certainly have their fair share of stinkers over the years (Like Shark Tale, Home, The Boss Baby films and the ever memed Bee Movies) but they've also had their share of great films as well (Prince of Egypt, the Dragons Series, the Kung Fu Panda series and the ever memed Shrek Movies, minus the third one.) And Sony Animation went from The Emoji Movie one year, to Spiderman Into the Spiderverse one year later, with only a Hotel Transylvania in between. That's a rollercoaster ride of difference in quality.

But compared to Illuminations output?

RKxblAi.png

The only film that you can say of there's that is good to great is the first Despicable Me. If you are generous maybe you extend it to the second film in the series, but certainly not the third or its spin-off, the Minions.

And the only truly bad film in their catalog is Hop, maybe the Lorax as well, especially with all the advertising surrounding that film going against the film's message, and The Lorax film is mostly meme fodder now much like Bee Movie has become.

Everything else just hits that borderline "It won't be the worst thing ever, but you'll probably forget about it by tomorrow" category.

Sing 2 hasn't had all of its reviews come out yet, but initial reviews will probably have it end at an almost similar score to Illuminations other output.

I'm surprised by their consistency really, they've pretty much his that consistent 60% score on RT, with their Metascore almost always being around 50 to 60 as well. It's like an art of not ever making anything truly terrible, but certainly not making anything that's going to be contending for the Oscars either. Ironically enough, with them making a Mario Movie for next year. If they keep their consistent 60s scores. They are going to make one of the top 5 rated video game adapted movies of all time due to how bad on average most video game movies have been (at least as scored by rotten tomatoes that is).

If there is a studio that's hit such a consistently meh score as they have managed to, do post it. I imagine this is going to be hot takes central. So try to back up your suggestion with numbers if you can, if you are going to drive by, you will get called out.

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
Platinum Dunes was the first that popped into mind but I guess they haven't been so bad more recently (A Quiet Place 1 & 2, Ouija: Origin of Evil).

OP
OP
KillstealWolf

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
'Boringly mediocre' is a little generous.

I was half debating between that and Meh. They aren't bad enough that they are avoid at all costs, and some may have their fans, but they aren't going to be all time favourites in the genre, which is why they fall right on that middle boundary.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
The Secret Life of Pets and Sing were both ... fine. I enjoyed them, but I almost never think about them and I'll never watch them again. But I had fun in the moment.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
It's almost impressive how the studio had been this consistently mediocre.

The Lorax has to be one of the worst Dr Seuss adaptions though. They nearly tuned the pacifist Lorax into a murderer.
Fucking great take.
Not to mention any type of nuance the onceler had was stripped away, turning him into some generic pretty boy with family issues.

Monkeylord

Nov 8, 2017
UK
It's almost like they're all aimed squarely at kids in the first instance and every other demographic is considered secondary.

Who'da thunk it.

I find their movies above tolerable, and my kids love them, so by that metric they're doing fine.

Antoo

May 1, 2019
they are masters of marketing

SLOP had ingenious trailers that barely showcased what the movie is actually about but instead had cute pets doing silly things which is apart of a sequence clearly made for promotion

Sing had those annoying ass trailers with the pop songs that would have made kid me squeal because it's funny animals singing stuff I know (as an adult though please kill me)

the films themselves? boring and inoffensive fare that has solid animation but really nothing else

Antoo

May 1, 2019
marvel has a formula but they are still doing good things in the industry like making blockbuster films with POC leads for newer generations to have positive role models or making a film that has 33% of the film subtitled in Mandarin

illumination has nothing going for it (hope for the best in the Mario movie thoughā€¦)

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
Wow I have managed not to see a single one of their films.

But tbh how these films are being described ITT is pretty much how I feel about most of the Pixar and MCU films I've seen.

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
It's not a difficult concept to grasp.
I think they mean that just because something is aimed at kids doesn't mean the film has to be boringly mediocre. 90% of Pixar's catalog, Disney Renaissance films, Into the Spider-verse, Coraline , The Prince of Egypt and more are examples of films aimed at kids with a similar age rating as Illumination's films but don't neglect the adult audiences watching them.

Monkeylord

Nov 8, 2017
UK
I think they mean that just because something is aimed at kids doesn't mean the film has to be mediocre. 90% of Pixar's catalog, Into the Spider-verse, Coraline and more are examples of films aimed at kids but don't neglect the adult audiences watching them.

Clearly "mediocre" is totally objective. I own every single one of the films on the list in the OP, and if you think I bought them for myself you're woefully mistaken. They're inoffensive enough for me to sit through when my kids choose to put them on.

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018
I think they mean that just because something is aimed at kids doesn't mean the film has to be boringly mediocre. 90% of Pixar's catalog, Disney Renaissance films, Into the Spider-verse, Coraline , The Prince of Egypt and more are examples of films aimed at kids with a similar age rating as Illumination's films but don't neglect the adult audiences watching them.

I wouldn't particularly saypixar films are aimed at the same demographic as minions. I'd say Pixar are like 8 and up

vacantseas

Oct 27, 2017
Minions might be a bad movie but people love minions stuff/merch. I see Minions stuff everywhere.

RadioJoNES

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, they make the most sterile toons afaik. They even made the Grinch just a mildly annoyed guy, and that's just sad. I don't even want to hear anyone talk trash about the Jim Carrey Grinch movie when that exists.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Has anyone bothered to do a deep dive on Illumination Studios, how they work, and all that? Do they focus fest with kids? Character designs, marketability, etc? It's clear they don't aim for quality filmmaking as their first priority, unlike other studios. None of the writers, directors, or other leads are well known compared to other animation studios. But they seem to do pretty well in marketing and that shows in the box office.
97aXpgE_d.webp

Parents probably don't care about the quality either. They don't care what studio or team is behind the scenes, it's just another animated film to take your kids to.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
Platinum Dunes was the first that popped into mind but I guess they haven't been so bad more recently (A Quiet Place 1 & 2, Ouija: Origin of Evil).

Their 2000s run was the definition of mediocrity for sure. Bascially shorthand for "passable, unmemorable film." They'd announce a project, often an existing IP, and people would hold their breath hoping the article wouldn't say it was Platinum Dunes joint.

Seems like their work is hugely culturally relevant with kids so I can't really agree with your premise.

The Secret Life of Pets ones are beloved by middle aged people, anecdotally at least. The trailers seemed marketed towards them, too.

Old people love those dang minions, as well. Everywhere on Facebook.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty solid view of Illumination. I'd actually say DM 3 is better than 2 or Minions, but still not really good like the first.

I oddly liked The Lorax. But I can't call it good.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
I would say yes. Because I didn't even think of them. Out of the entire list in the OP, I have enjoyed a grand total of ZERO of the movies I've seen (DM1 and 2, Minions, a bit of Pets). Aren't they making the Mario movie? That's probably going to be boring too, but Mario is boring so...

That said, modern Pixar comparable to someone above that mentioned Sony. 1 year they make something great (Coco), then another year it's something bang average (Soul). Sometimes they'll even make something that looks terrible but ends up being quite good (Onward, honestly was shcoked it was good!).