Iva Demilcol

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Iwatodai Dorm
I was talking to a friend, we were talking about remakes and how some of them ruin some things from the original (like Wander not having facial expressions during gameplay in the remake of Shadow of the Colossus) and how some of them change so many things from the original that sometimes you can't even say that you're playing the same game.

Do you think that there's a remake that makes the original game totally pointless?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Resident Evil Remake completely obliterates the game it's based on, doing everything it did and better.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was talking to a friend, we were talking about remakes and how some of them ruin some things from the original (like Wander not having facial expressions during gameplay in the remake of Shadow of the Colossus) and how some of them change so many things from the original that sometimes you can't even say that you're playing the same game.

Do you think that there's a remake that makes the original game totally pointless?
If someone really thinks Shadow of the Colossus remake is worse just because some facial animations you're not even supposed to see while climbing a 100 METER GIANT, that person has their priorities completely busted.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
Spyro Reignited. Literally, had they ported the original games to current gen, it would be a pointless (albeit very charming and lovely remake). But they didn't and Reignited simultaneous is ultra nostalgic and and graphically feels incredibly contemporary.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
Resident Evil. It's close enough mechanically that you're not getting a different experience with the original, just an inferior one.

Black Mesa is dangerously close to being an outright replacement for Half-Life, but I'm not quite ready to declare it.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
I'd still have fun playing the Crash originals, and I don't think they're pointless, but I'm not sure why I'd ever play them now instead of the remakes.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Well no game that gets a remake is so bad that it will ever be pointless. For example for me the FFVII Remake already vastly surpassed the original ... but that doesn't make the original pointless as the remake wouldn't even exist without it.

Annabel

Mar 22, 2019
REmake is considered to be the closest thing to a perfect remake.

But at the end of the day, the original will never be completely pointless. They still exist and you can still play them and some will still prefer originals.
These, and imo the pokemon remakes.
I agree with the Gen 1 and 2 remakes, but ORAS removes stuff from Emerald. Not that I care about the Battle Frontier myself, but I know its still a big contention point for many.
Except that the Pokémon remakes aren't even available anymore while you can still play the originals on the 3DS
Huh?

Aside from FRLG, you can play HGSS on 3DS and ORAS IS a 3DS game in the first place.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Dunno if you'd call it a remake exactly but Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence is the best way to play that game on the PS2. It's a substantial change in how you fundamentally play the game, with a third person camera instead of top-down.

If they ported Ocarina of Time 3D to a console I'd say that, too. Majora's Mask 3D less-so.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
I predict REmade will be the most mentioned one, as usual and despite having a completely different atmosphere to the original.

No, I don't think any remake can replace the original. Even the ones that can be considered minimal, straight-up improvements (Link's Awakening to DX, for example) change the game by virtue of replacing the context that surrounds it with something different.

The opposite is also true, ironically. Even if I'm usually against remakes, every one that does come out is valuable as its own artifact, regardless of how close it follows, or how far it deviates from, the original.

OP
OP
Iva Demilcol

Iva Demilcol

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Iwatodai Dorm
If someone really thinks Shadow of the Colossus remake is worse just because some facial animations you're not even supposed to see while climbing a 100 METER GIANT, that person has their priorities completely busted.

I mean, the original came out for an inferior system that manages to do things that the remake (two gens later) couldn't.

i think it's totally worth it (to play the original). In fact I prefer to play the PS3 remaster (because my PS2 doesn't even work anymore).

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
Dunno if I agree with the RE1 sentiment as an RE fan. REmake is excellent but I still thoroughly enjoy RE1 for a lot of things the remake DOESN'T include.

TheBiInBilingual

THE STORE ENSURED ME THERE WOULDN'T BE FILM
Feb 22, 2018
Pokemon FireRed and LeafGreen completely shit all over Red & Blue imo. RBY are filled with (gamebreaking) bugs and mechanics. To this day I see FRLG as the superior way to play through Kanto. HGSS may compete with it but it's not the 'real' experience bc none of the gen 1 story is there.

Annabel

Mar 22, 2019
My only issue with HGSS is that while they added a shitton of stuff, they didnt address some issues the originals had.

Level scaling is still wack and the wild Pokemon in Johto still kinda suck.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, the original came out for an inferior system that manages to do things that the remake (two gens later) couldn't.

i think it's totally worth it to play the original. In fact I prefer to play the PS3 remaster (because my PS2 doesn't even work anymore).
It's not a matter of an inferior system doing it, it's a matter of the remake doing everything else better.

Like, you're saying you specifically would just play SotC on PS2/PS3 because of the face animations you barely see ingame? Because that's absolutely crazy for me to even understand.

OP
OP
Iva Demilcol

Iva Demilcol

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Iwatodai Dorm
REmake is considered to be the closest thing to a perfect remake.

But at the end of the day, the original will never be completely pointless. They still exist and you can still play them and some will still prefer originals.

I agree with the Gen 1 and 2 remakes, but ORAS removes stuff from Emerald. Not that I care about the Battle Frontier myself, but I know its still a big contention point for many.

Huh?

Aside from FRLG, you can play HGSS on 3DS and ORAS IS a 3DS game in the first place.
You can play gen 2 and 3 remakes on the 3ds.

yeah, I was thinking about Fire Red and Leaf Green when I wrote that.

Annabel

Mar 22, 2019
Oh yeah, I kinda wanna say Trials of Mana?

That's mostly because the original is just so very broken and clearly rushed.

OP
OP
Iva Demilcol

Iva Demilcol

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Iwatodai Dorm
It's not a matter of an inferior system doing it, it's a matter of the remake doing everything else better.

Like, you're saying you specifically would just play SotC on PS2/PS3 because of the face animations you barely see ingame? Because that's absolutely crazy for me to even understand.

They missed the mark with the atmosphere of the original too imo.

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I still replay the original Resident Evil despite the superior remake being out. While I replay OG 2 and 3 way more frequently, it still is occasionally nice to revisit the original mansion and just see how much they got right the first time around. And that awful cheesy voice acting and intro are gold to me.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly never going to play the original RE2 or 3 ever again now that their remakes are out and by-and-large, excellent products, but I get that they're very different games from their remakes.

How about the Final Fantasy games from I to IV? They've had various remakes over the years that would arguably replace the OGs.

Final Fantasy I and II: WSC, GBA, PSP and PS1 remakes
Final Fantasy III: DS and Steam, I think?
Final Fantasy IV: DS (3d) and a very different remake on the PSP (2D)

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
No remake makes a game irrelevant, no matter how much better it is.

There is no reason to play the first two Metroid games with their remakes existing
The originals are better imo, but I would admit that AM2R is better than the original. I consider Samus Returns to be kinda ass and misses the point completely with its misguided focus on combat. Zero Mission is great and all, but it's so far removed from the original in challenge and atmosphere that I consider it a re-imagining more than a remake.

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017

the game doesn't "feel" right and i'm saying this as someone who played the EU version which was a lot harder than the dumbed down US version and before you say it, the PAL version has 60hz so it's not a 50hz/60hz used to feeling

Slime Stack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
FireRed and LeafGreen has worse music than the original; HGSS does nothing to fix the problems with gen 2, if anything it makes them worse, ORAS is butt ugly, has worse renditions of the original tracks and runs poorly.

REmake removes all the amazing goofy camp from the original so even if it's a better game, it removes some of the spirit from the original.

Rhete

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely not the Metroid 1 and 2, the atmosphere is completely different in their remakes. Metroid 2 being a horror game was entirely lost

REmake is almost perfect, but again it changes the atmosphere and loses the camp which some may have liked more.

As for straight upgrades, Cave Story+ and The Binding of Isaac Rebirth are both basically perfect

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Not technically a remake, but Unreal Tournament 2004 essentially replaced UT2003. Afaik, it included all of 2003 content and was an overall superior game.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I want anime wander damn it

Also you gotta realize that people play games very differently to you and that some people might purposely set up camera angles for cool shots. Wanders new zombie face ruins the fun for those people.