• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jubern

Oct 25, 2017
Hi there,

I've been interested in Remote Play for a long time but I've never been quite satisfied with the lag and also the feed sometimes cutting off for a little bit. I understand there are limits to having the receiving device on a wireless device.
I also have a young child at home and have less and less time to spend in front of the big living room TV!

So I've been thinking... Does anyone have a good experience to report doing something like using Remote Play on a Roku-like device in their home, wired on the same connection as a wired PS4?
I'm very Apple centric and the Apple TV doesn't have the Remote Play app. I might also be mistaken but I understand than the Android TV version of the app doesn't work on every device? So I'm having a hard time here.
Here are my problems:

What I'm looking for - a cheap device:
- That can use the Remote Play App,
- Can be wired.

What I'd like to know:
- Does this actually work well?

Thank you!

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think they support anything but phones on Android.

Your safest bet would be a Macbook connected to the TV using HDMI.

You could try AirPlay, but it would probably be a lag fest.

Syysch

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not sure about TV apps, but do you have a PC/laptop? The app for that works flawlessly for me with a wired connection.

I also use it on my Vita and phone from time to time, and yeah its performance depends on the strength of your network. My place is small, so it usually works fine on those devices for me as well.

OP
OP
Jubern

Jubern

Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking for something more simple than having to connect/disconnect a laptop every time to be frank.

Ideal situation would be only having to boot the app and pressing start on the controller...
So like on a phone, but on my bedroom TV and on a wired device to get the best connection possible.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Did the third party R-Play app ever make it Apple TV? I've used it on iOS and it's been great. The same people make the Xbox equivalent OneCast app and that has an Apple TV version.

OP
OP
Jubern

Jubern

Oct 25, 2017
Did the third party R-Play app ever make it Apple TV? I've used it on iOS and it's been great. The same people make the Xbox equivalent OneCast app and that has an Apple TV version.
Doesn't look like it. I suppose there something with Apple's policy preventing remote play apps on the Apple TV App Store?

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
Doesn't look like it. I suppose there something with Apple's policy preventing remote play apps on the Apple TV App Store?
Unlikely as steam link and moonlight exist, as well as remote play on iOS. It's more likely Sony just hasn't made an app for it

Completely personal anecdote, but remote play has never worked well enough for me to play more than 5 minutes

sun-drop

Banned
Aug 21, 2018
wellington , new zealand
I was able to play head to head fifa matches with my mate on his couch , across town on my playstation tv unit, remote playing off my wired ps4 at home. Both locations on fiber mind you. But yeh it worked well enough to play fifa so..

Rikalaus

Oct 30, 2017
Unfortunately the amount of supported devices is pretty low

• PS Vita system
  • PlayStation®TV system
  • Computer (Windows PC or Mac)
  • Xperia™ Smartphone or Xperia™ Tablet
  • iPhone or iPad

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Before an hypothetical ATV app, you could use Remote Play on an iPhone/iPad and stream to the Apple TV, or some HDMI converter from these devices. Than you can buy dedicated one - either a WiFi like Chromcast or an Android box like Rasbery Pi on a wired network. If your TV is on Android it's maybe possible to sideload the app, but you also need it to communicate with a bluetooth joypad.

OP
OP
Jubern

Jubern

Oct 25, 2017
I mean the playstation TV?
Only goes up to 720p from what I read and you'll agree support for ps5 is not very likely.
I guess you can sideload the app on an android tv?

I use my laptop, btw. Perfect performance on wifi.
My bedroom TV is the dumb type, so it needs a dongle or box or something.
Before an hypothetical ATV app, you could use Remote Play on an iPhone/iPad and stream to the Apple TV, or some HDMI converter from these devices. Than you can buy dedicated one - either a WiFi like Chromcast or an Android box like Rasbery Pi on a wired network. If your TV is on Android it's maybe possible to sideload the app, but you also need it to communicate with a bluetooth joypad.
Thank you for the input but I have already tried AirPlay and of course lag is unacceptable.
Can you install the remote play app on the new Google tv dongle?
This is actually one of my questions. Can I?
And does the new Google TV have a Ethernet port?

Edit > I've looked into it and there is a dongle to get Ethernet on the new Chromecast with Google TV... it's not available yet where I live but should be soon

Now does anyone know how I could check compatibility short of getting the unit?
You might say I could just sideload but I tried it before on a Fire TV stick and it didn't work... supposedly the app is a bit specific about the devices it'll work with.

Last edited:

Rikalaus

Oct 30, 2017
Only goes up to 720p from what I read and you'll agree support for ps5 is not very likely.

My bedroom TV is the dumb type, so it needs a dongle or box or something.

Thank you for the input but I have already tried AirPlay and of course lag is unacceptable.
This is actually one of my questions. Can I?
And does the new Google TV have a Ethernet port?

By the looks of it you have to buy an Ethernet adapter separately https://store.google.com/product/chromecast_ethernet_adapter_gen_2

Mass One

Oct 28, 2017
I used to use my PSTV at hotels. That worked great. I think the output is limited to 720 or 1080i tho

Ikarus

Oct 30, 2017
It would be nice if within your home, you could use RemotePlay from your PS5 to your old PS4... so you could in effect get PS5 performance on two TVs in the house (just one streamed).

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Last edited:

PieOMy

Nov 15, 2018
Boston
nvidia shield has an ethernet port. It runs on android tv and you have to sideload the remote play app. This thing will set you back $150-200 depending on which model you buy.

bbg_g

Jun 21, 2020
You can sideload apps on amazon's firestick. I've got the 4K stick and do it occasionally. Here's a video showing how to do that.

Edit: Seems like some people are having issues with this with the latest update of the App that came out last month but check the comments for fixes.

Last edited:

Nathan

Oct 27, 2017
I would recommend a laptop, MacBook or otherwise, and connect it to ethernet if connection is a concern.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I've tried it even in the best of circumstances (using PC, everything wired) and still found it lacking. I'd use it for repetitive grinding tasks but never just play a game start to finish that way.

c2c

Mar 4, 2021
I find the remote play app works pretty well on an iPad. If you get a kickstand it's basically a lap tv. The Backbone controller for iPhone is amazing as well.

I understand mobile isn't ideal for everyone, but as a fellow gamer with a young kid I find it to be the only way to squeeze in gaming in those precious free moments in the day.

NinjaHound

Nov 5, 2017
I managed to get it working on my mac, but doesn't appear to be compatible with my PS5 controller

Which sucks

NinjaHound

Nov 5, 2017
Update - works perfect on Mac when connected with a PS5 controller over USB. Even has full haptics and everything.

Still would prefer a wireless solution over a Roku or something.

jhombus

Jul 23, 2020
It's pretty frustrating that Moonlight/GameStream on a local PC or even Stadia are so much more responsive at a higher resolution than PS and Xbox remote play, even with those hooked up to ethernet. I don't see it talked about a whole lot, but I really hope the console solutions improve over the next couple of years.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
I find the remote play app works pretty well on an iPad. If you get a kickstand it's basically a lap tv. The Backbone controller for iPhone is amazing as well.

I found my iPad did remote play better than my wired gaming PC. Not sure why, maybe the screen size is smaller.