Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Literally the bestest at videogames, saving people by being the bestest at videogames, loved by everyone because he's the bestest at videogames, all the girls love him because he's the bestest at videogames.

Espada-de-Kirito-770x433.png

He only plays MMO RPG's but then they throw him on a shooter game and he is the bestest at it by using a fucking lightsaberthat this FPS conveniently has

He is a genius mechanic that can create a robot camera to contain the mind of a sick girl to show her the world
sword_art_online_II_22_4.jpg

And he also works for the Government in the digital crimes division because he's the bestest at videogames!!!

Is there a single worse character than this guy?

Last edited:

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
he's just like me, im the best at video games too i want everyone to love me like him

everyone love me except my sister, get the fuck away from me sis

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Don't forget, he also saves his girlfriend from rapists and his sister has a crush on him too.

SAO sucks.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Kira Yamato from Gundam Seed and Tatsuya from The Irregular at Magic High School are at the same level as Kirito.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
How many times does Kirito just does something amazing while another character just watches in awe saying "No way"?

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Eh. Some of the Isekai that's been coming out has been like this.

Japan has a lot of stories like that because people enjoy these power fantasies.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Richard Rahl from the Sword of Truth books comes to mind. Whoever the fuck was the lead in Armada, that shitty Earnest Cline novel does as well. God what a bag of shitty writing that was. Kvothe in A Wise Man's Fear.

I haven't seen SAO though, because most people tell me it's shit and not worth watching.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I feel like there is a specific line in anime where a main protagonist just becomes a badly written character due to the portrayal of tropes that embody them(the harem aspect where all the girls like you, the 'im good at stuff cause im the main character, and awesome).

And while most male protags have elements of wish fulfillment n them, i feel like what separates a badly written character from a well written one is whether that 'line' is crossed. In Kirito's case, its crossed at mach 10.

Moara

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Who was that other kirito from another trashy LN about a magical school or something. He seemed pretty bad.

Baalzebup

Oct 25, 2017
Oniisama Shiba Tatsuya from Irregular at the magic school out Garu-Stus Kirito so damn hard.

There are also some Iseikai re-incarnation folks like Rou from Re:Monster. Actually, really do look up Rou if you want characters who are far, far worse than Kirito. Dude looks down on rape yet doses his prisoners with an aphrodisiac potion 'till they ask for it.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's pretty trash. But OP characters in isekai shows is a guilty pleasure of mine, so you know..*shrug*

Oct 28, 2017
California
It has to be Itachi

-Wisdom of a Hokage at age 7
-Slaughtered the entire Uchiha clan (except for Sasuke of course).
-Defeated Orochimaru, one of the Three Legendary Saninn, at age 18

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
he's just like me, im the best at video games too i want everyone to love me like him

everyone love me except my sister, get the fuck away from me sis
Every time I start a game I wonder to myself why I should even bother when I know that Fat4all has already graced the game with a skill and capability that I can't even comprehend!

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
It has to be Itachi

-Wisdom of a Hokage at age 7
-Slaughtered the entire Uchiha clan (except for Sasuke of course).
-Defeated Orochimaru, one of the Three Legendary Saninn, at age 18

He's shown to have some flaws and also plainly states how much he fucked up more than once.

A Gary Stu is always right and whoever says he's wrong is a villain

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Yeah you can make an argument for them lol, but Naruto struggled early on, and Sasuke needed a lot of help in his fights (if I'm recalling correctly).

Naruto got rectonned into oblivion regarding his backstory in order for a lot of things to make sense(4th was his dad, his mom came from a long line of whatevers, he was the prophecized child to save the world ect). All he did was talk the main badguy's down and they actually chagned their entire ways of doing things because of him being so disappointed in them. Sasuke was special snowflake the entire series, and his eyehax just got more and more ridiculous for no reason, just cause he needed to be more powerful

VentusGallius

Oct 25, 2017
Lol I'll never forget that he pretended to be a low level to hang out with noobs. Then let them die without revealing he was op. Dude was terrible.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
He's shown to have some flaws and also plainly states how much he fucked up more than once.

A Gary Stu is always right and whoever says he's wrong is a villain

I think there are few good deconstructions of the shounen esque gary stu type archtype in japanese media, and those characters i feel are the strongest written characters out there despite surface level having some of the same qualities.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I would think part of being a Gary stu would be someone who can still win despite his flaws that should hold him back. The character then has "flaws" instead of flaws. Can't speak on Goku, I'm not familiar, just throwing this in.

wouldent that mean everyone who is at a disadvantage but wins is a gary stu? i think the definition has to be something other than that