Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
The endgame assemble scene is not a twist that redefines the entire context of the film series, nor the primary antagonist and protagonists motivations, so no.

I think the Red Wedding is a good candidate for the most talked about pop-culture TV or film event of the decade.

This ^. People who haven't watched game of thrones know this scene. It redefined the recent golden age of TV and changed how most shows are written nowadays.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Remember when you couldn't get away from "Save the cheerleader, save the world"? Most of these lines will fade from the public consciousness.

Something like the Red Wedding, or even Ned's end would be closest I think.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That is the Riders of Rohan of this generation, not the Im your father.

Like others have said, the snap is the better analogy.

The red wedding wont work because kids dont watch that.

Chivalry

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2018
source.gif

Oct 27, 2017
The equivalent of "I am your father" for our generation isn't from movies.

"Would you kindly" is our generation's plot twist.
Although I love the "Would you kindly" scene, it doesn't (and won't) even approach the cultural impact of "No, I am your father".

I do agree however that the equivalent isn't from movies; I think television shows are a much 'better' source of potential candidates.

Game of Thrones with Baelor and Rains of Castamere are the closest from the last decade which immediately come to mind.

www.youtube.com

Matrix - Neo vs. morpheus Full 1080p HD

Jkprojects presents: Blu-ray 1080p version of " I know kong fu " - subscribe to this channel for more videos (:watch the ultimate matrix trailer edited by ...

I'm not sure I'd say that particular line is close though.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
"Avengers Assemble" is something I've been waiting for since the very first Avengers movie. It absolutely elevated Endgame for me. That said, no it's not a huge pop culture event anywhere near "I am your father." There have certainly been much better ones in movies and on TV.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
The line "No, I AM your father" changed the entire direction of the Star Wars narrative in five words. "Avengers Assemble" is more the "Hasta la vista, baby!" of this generation. It's badass and quotable, but doesn't have the narrative implications.

Servbot24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No. It's not a plot twist, and it doesn't even advance the plot. It's just a bunch of fighters gathering together which was been done a million times, just not with that level of budget.

You could argue for the snap though.

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
Avengers doesn't have to encompass every aspect of a generations pop culture. I mean if you wanted to pick on Tony stark revealing he's iron man is a better choice.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
It should've been Jon Snow's parentage, but they decided to dump it via a Wikipedia article from the treeternet than handle it well.

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
In terms of the Marvel movies, I think the closest thing to something as surprising as the Vader plot twist would be
Mysterio revealing Spider-Man's identity to the world.

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
The Vader scene is an iconic plot twist coming from a time when plot twists like that were super rare, and it re contextualize the whole story in a few words.
Avengers Assemble is the closest they could get to Cap actually turning to the camera and winking to the audience. It's dumb fan service. It's works, it's super cool, but it's nothing more than that.

NHarmonic.

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
No. It will be forgotten in 10 or so years, meanwhile I am your father will be memorable for at least a few centuries

This is hyperbolic. Star Wars is not as big as the US thinks it is.

I'd argue most of the newer generations aren't interested enough to watch the older movies.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
The snap is closer. Even knowing what was coming, it still affected a lot of people emotionaly during the movie. It was such a well executed moment. The one thing that took away from some of the fallout was knowing what sequel films were in the works.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I said please dont let this be a surprise marvel thread and here we are. To contribute there is no moment this generation that's like that so far.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lol no. This scene and the entire movie was shit.

I think that honor goes to the drain pipe scene on ghost dog.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A garbage scene for a garbage movie. Even "the snap" stuff was undone. None of those movies had any impactful scenes. It's typical Marvel stuff.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
The statement didn't make sense when he said it - the Avengers have already assembled when he tells them to assemble. It's like he's just trying to use a snazzy catchphrase rather than issuing an iconic command.

Also, I really doubt the internet would become super anal and pedantic about misremembering "Avengers Assemble" like they are about the whole Luke/father quote, so it's definitely not that. Although I guess they could become super anal and pedantic about whether "Avengers Assemble" is a command to gather after they've already gathered...