• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Does the Director's Cut version of the RE1 basement theme count?

Original:

Director's Cut:

Mipmap

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Yep, Sonic Chronicles I knew it.

This one is more egregious imo

And the original

Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't a fan of a lot of the Pokemon ORAS remixes. The new sounds just ruined a lot of the nuance of the original music. It's like they just started layering on random instruments and tracks just because the HW supported it.

For instance, the original legendary theme. Notice the incredible build up in the beginning of the song

Notice how that's completely changed

It's even worse when it comes to the Aqua/Magma boss themes

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
I kept waiting for an extra instrument to kick in with that Sonic Chronicles music. It never did.

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually surprised this thread was started by Sonic Chronicles. Because it's the correct answer. Everything else posted is at least a decent alternate take, minus both Capcom entries lol

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I was gonna raise you this:

But uh, yeah, having been reminded of that Sonic Chronicles abomination, I don't think there's any other option.

What the heck? That's one of the best Smash Bros Brawl arrangements.

"Worst ever", no. But I can't forgive this weak sauce.

And that's another of the best from Smash 4! I love the out there arrangements like that.

Never understood the hate this got either. That's one of the few good songs from that MVC.

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018

Not the worst ever (that probably goes to the song posted in the OP) but the previous post about Cynthia's theme reminded me of this.

You might think it's not so bad, but listen to what happens after 50 seconds or so...

Nali

Oct 25, 2017

But seriously, Chronicles' music is so ineptly put together on a technical level that I can't imagine what other officially published work could possibly compare.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
Sonic Chronicles is exactly what I came in this thread to post so I'll try to contribute with something else

Juri's Street Fighter IV theme:

And now her awful Street Fighter V remix:

Where's the menace? The intimidation? The actual fucking music?

Bonus video:

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sonic Chronicles is exactly what I came in this thread to post so I'll try to contribute with something else

Juri's Street Fighter IV theme:

And now her awful Street Fighter V remix:
Such a weird misfire. Hideyuki Fukasawa was firing on all cylinders by the end of the PS3/360 era, but then he went more techno/dubstep for the majority of his tracks for SF5 to varying degrees of success. Cammy's theme is good, Dictator's grew on me, Brazil stage is fun, China and Russia stages are solid but not excellent, Laura's theme doesn't seem to have much going for it, Seth's theme is like he retried what he did with Juri's theme but with better/more fitting results Maybe it was to differentiate it from SF4's sound, but idk, he's capable of much better. Rashid's theme is proof of that.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Diamond Dust in Sonic Chronicles sounds like a first draft of Rugrats background music. The only thing that beats it in terms of awfulness is Nocturne from the same game.

I submit for consideration "Why" from I Scream! PaRappa & PJ. Not only is it using the instrumental from what was already the most terrible song in the series, PaRappa's version of Taste of Teriyaki, the inane vocals are some of the worst ever pressed to disc. I dare anyone to make it past the chorus at 0:56 without cringing.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
What's the story behind that sonic music? We know the why the resident evil music is what it is.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
Wow, someone managed to post Nocturne before I could! Also tagging Nocturnowl since he knows the score.
What's the story behind that sonic music? We know the why the resident evil music is what it is.
the rumor from what I hear is that Bioware found out late that they didn't have the rights to use any of the Sonic music, so they scrambled for substitutes at the last minute

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Diamond Dust in Sonic Chronicles sounds like a first draft of Rugrats background music. The only thing that beats it in terms of awfulness is Nocturne from the same game.

I submit for consideration "Why" from I Scream! PaRappa & PJ. Not only is it using the instrumental from what was already the most terrible song in the series, PaRappa's version of Taste of Teriyaki, the inane vocals are some of the worst ever pressed to disc. I dare anyone to make it past the chorus at 0:56 without cringing.

Why..... does this song exist?

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
Such a weird misfire. Hideyuki Fukasawa was firing on all cylinders by the end of the PS3/360 era, but then he went more techno/dubstep for the majority of his tracks for SF5 to varying degrees of success. Cammy's theme is good, Dictator's grew on me, Brazil stage is fun, China and Russia stages are solid but not excellent, Laura's theme doesn't seem to have much going for it, Seth's theme is like he retried what he did with Juri's theme but with better/more fitting results Maybe it was to differentiate it from SF4's sound, but idk, he's capable of much better. Rashid's theme is proof of that.
It's like he's really good at new compositions but continuously misses the mark when it comes to remixes. It was mostly the same in MVC3, new characters had great themes but a few of the remixes were ehhh...

Which reminds me, I hate this remix of The Rising Sun from Okami:

And the absolutely beautiful original:

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017

One of the most important moments in the game.

Last edited:

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Chronicles' is definitely the worst but I'll offer this one anyway:

Original:

SNES version:

As a bonus, this version came out around the same time as the SNES one:

Oct 27, 2017
the rumor from what I hear is that Bioware found out late that they didn't have the rights to use any of the Sonic music, so they scrambled for substitutes at the last minute

Yeah, this was the talk at the time. I feel like traces of the original soundtrack were found somewhere. It has to be something like this. There's no other reasonable explanation for the music being so bad.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I dunno. I remember once someone combined the Beverly Hills Cop theme song with a kid making dirt bike sounds with his mouth, and it became a bit of a thing despite being awful.

en.wikipedia.org

Axel F - Wikipedia

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I'm all for Smash remixes, but...
I was gonna raise you this:

But uh, yeah, having been reminded of that Sonic Chronicles abomination, I don't think there's any other option.
I agree with this one. I've probably got this one set to 0 in the game. Just too random for me. And there are like a dozen other more serviceable remixes of this same track in the game already.

youtu.be

Battle! (Champion) / Champion Cynthia | Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Music: Battle! (Champion) / Champion Cynthia Source: Pokémón Diamond / Pokémon Pearl Arrangement Supervisor: Manaka Kataoka Composition: GAME FREAK inc. Arra...

"Worst ever", no. But I can't forgive this weak sauce.
Piano is a bit too midi, even for me. But I hadn't heard the original, so it's okay by me. But then I heard the Pokemon Masters version, and now I think this one is better than the one Smash got.

2:22 in the video.

Not the worst ever (that probably goes to the song posted in the OP) but the previous post about Cynthia's theme reminded me of this.

You might think it's not so bad, but listen to what happens after 50 seconds or so...
Yeah, that part at 50 seconds isn't great. But I think the rest still holds up.

I also had not heard the original version of this one and had always heard only the remix, so I'm okay with this one.

Sticking to Smash, I'll add my own to the pile of worst remixes.

Crash Man Stage

How did they turn such a quirky and upbeat tune into this spacey junk?
Fire Man Stage may be worse. Not a fan at all of this remix.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The Crash Man remix in Smash is actually incredibly unique. I love both the original and the remix.