• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is Tony Hawk Pro Skater a Stylish Action Game?

• Yes

Votes: 115 44.9%
  • No

Votes: 141 55.1%

• Total voters

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
From TV Tropes:
"Stylish Action is a sub-genre of action video games that involves unrealistic combat and the fun that comes from learning how to create it. Its main point is to use a deep set of mechanics to be stylish, rather than the style coming from the animations itself. In short, the style is because you, the player, are earning stylish combat through developing your skills, not just the character through what they're programmed to do."

Looking at the only available definition I could find, THPS is absolutely a stylish action game, its just that the action you are taking is not combat related. You are still building combos, requires great dexterity, and is largely about doing cool things rather just doing the required action. i would say even widening the definition to include THPS wouldnt necessarily be opening it up to a ton of other games.

So do stylish action games require combat....or can you include games in which the goal is to complete actions stylishly?

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
tony hawk is sexier than bayonetta you heard it here first.

SystemBug

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, hear the OP out. He has a really good point.

What's the difference between DMC, and Tony Hawk Underground?

Other than THUG having a competent storyline.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
No.
Just because the title of a genre fits the game, it does not mean it fits the genre. It has to fit the definition of the genre, not just the title.
Even though THPS involves stylish action, it is not a "stylish action" game.
Even though Final Fight involves fighting, it is not a "fighting" game.
Even though Street Fighter involves beating people up, it is not a "beat 'em up".
Even though Ikaruga involves shooting, it is not a "shooter".
Even though Call of Duty involves shooting things up, it is not a "shoot 'em up".

Plenty of other games that aren't "stylish action" games involve gaining skills (player skills, not just like a skill tree), they're both just heavily influenced by arcade games (that type of player skill, scoring, etc.)

Last edited:

Deleted member 41931

User requested account closure
Apr 10, 2018
Absolutley
tony hawk is sexier than bayonetta you heard it here first.
As if you need to tell us. Ain't nobody saying "see you later, boy" to this Sk8ter Boi
tonyhawk09042013d.jpg

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Someone made a really good argument a few years back that you could label THPS as a timeattack 3d platformer and tbh ever since its like i can see through the matrix and realize all the pendantic genre squabbling gamers do about "its not a REAL so&so" etc is a pointless endeavor

so why not.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No.
Just because the title of a genre fits the game, it does not mean it fits the genre. It has to fit the definition of the genre, not just the title.
Even though Street Fighter involves beating people up, it is not a "beat 'em up".
Even though Call of Duty involves shooting things up, it is not a "shoot 'em up".

if you define a "stylish action" game as a primarily single-player game about the user chaining together skills and improvising combos in creative and visually-flashy ways to rack up large quantities of points and earn high ranks, then thps is still a stylish action game

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
No.

Plenty of other games that aren't "stylish action" games involve gaining skills (player skills, not just like a skill tree), they're both just heavily influenced by arcade games (that type of player skill, scoring, etc.)
Yo. I'm trying to chain some combos so I can get Sick rank.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
if you define a "stylish action" game as a primarily single-player game about the user chaining together skills and improvising combos in creative and visually-flashy ways to rack up large quantities of points and earn high ranks, then thps is still a stylish action game
I mean, I don't define it like and and neither does the source OP used, but if you want to define it like that, sure, it is
I think "Stylish Action" is a bad term and is why I don't use it to name the genre, I believe it's more than "any score attack game with a combo system that looks cool"

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
More to the point, and considering THPS games predate stylish action games by a whole bunch of years, are stylish action games just THPS without skates?

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I mean people in the industry categorize DMC5 and CoD:MW in the same genre so why not.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No. What's with this forum and screwing with perfectly straightforward genres every few months?

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
You can't just ignore the first major distinctive part of the definition. That's not how definitions work.