Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Unfortunately, tons of people use alt-right connected memes without knowing they are used by alt-right.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's in a million twitch emotes because it's a silly meme.

You should make sure you know what your kid is watching in general but all because some shitheads try to co-opt it as "theirs" doesn't mean everyone has to give in to that and place it off limits to use in any way. Fuck em.

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, 4chan alt-right and MAGA idiots started using it.
They enjoy ruining everything with their garbage :)
It started being used extensively on twitter by alt-righters in their shitty memes so it got associated with that. Still, plenty of people also use it in the same way they always have, so it is a bit of a grey area. In the end, it comes down to content.
I still use it with my friends and even on twitter like how I supposed to use it

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
Using bachelor frog memes doesn't make you alt-right.

Drinking Fanta doesn't make you a nazi.

Don't rely on such absurd generalizations to help you parent.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
How about watch it first? Pepe is not automatically an at-right symbol, hell the guy who made him sued big at-right people for stealing his character

Amauri14

Oct 27, 2017
Danbury, CT, USA
Pepe the frog is older than the alt-right, just because that scum wants to make it theirs doesn't mean that someone using it is supporting them. But if you are concerned, you should watch the channel yourself and see if it is friendly or not.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
So yes, I made up my mind about 5 minutes after I posted the initial thread. Any YouTuber that uses alt right iconography will not be tolerated in my house.
You made a thread asking a question, then when people gave you answers you didn't agree with, you changed the thesis statement of the thread from "is this person alt-right?" to "this person is alt-right."

Then when people suggested that the use of a meme that a group uses doesn't necessarily mean you're part of that group, you changed the thesis statement even further to "I don't like people who use memes that the alt-right also uses."

What was the point of this thread? To let people know you don't like Pepe? Cool story, I guess?[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
Unfortunately, tons of people use alt-right connected memes without knowing they are used by alt-right.

Unfortunately, tons of people breath just like alt-righters without knowing that alt-righter do it too.

Really, Pepe was harmless. Don't let them take memes or else they win.
If you give pepe up they win and get symbol.

PtM

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
This is a valid point - the thread appears to be misleading. I apologize for that.

I made the OP initially because I wasn't sure at first blush. After I posted it, I asked a few more friends and acquaintances and the overwhelming response I got was that it's not worth the risk and to just ban the guy.

So yes, I made up my mind about 5 minutes after I posted the initial thread. Any YouTuber that uses alt right iconography will not be tolerated in my house.
But what if they use a certain Indian sun symbol?
Unfortunately, tons of people breath just like alt-righters without knowing that alt-righter do it too.

Really, Pepe was harmless. Don't let them take memes or else they win.
If you give pepe up they win and get symbol.
Actually, they've already won. The creator officially killed off his character.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-internet-meme-co-opted-by-white-supremacists

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
You made a thread asking a question, then when people gave you answers you didn't agree with, you changed the thesis statement of the thread from "is this person alt-right?" to "this person is alt-right" and when asked about it, you changed the thesis statement even further to "I don't like people who use memes that the alt-right also uses."

What was the point of this thread? To let people know you don't like Pepe? Cool story, I guess?
The saddest takeaway from this shitshow of a thread is that in the end, OP wouldn't even bother to actually watch the show to check if there really was any alt-right stuff going on. In the end, it doesn't seem if that even mattered - all that mattered was pepe = banned. There never was concern, only sweeping generalizations and the parenting that comes from it.

Dragnipur

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Pepe isn't purely alt right just because some people use him. Air is breathed in by the alt right as well, doesn't say anything about air..

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seems a bit harsh to ban him if your stepdaughter enjoys him since he seems pretty harmless. Maybe at least check some more of his stuff out first before telling her she's not allowed to watch?

Dorfdad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Presenting false equivalencies to excuse content associated with hate movements. History of severe infractions.
If it's alt left is that ok??

Does he curse, does he talk sexual? No one here knows your values and I hope your not asking others to parent your child's activities.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
The saddest takeaway from this shitshow of a thread is that in the end, OP wouldn't even bother to actually watch the show to check if there really was any alt-right stuff going on. In the end, it doesn't seem if that even mattered - all that mattered was pepe = banned. There never was concern, only sweeping generalizations and the parenting that comes from it.
Yeah, research is actually important when it comes to finding out if a person is a shitbag or not.

On the surface, Count Dankula teaching his dog the Nazi salute is... let's say "debatably" racist. But if you take look through his other videos, you can clearly paint the fuller picture that this man is clearly not a particularly liberal individual.

Do your research, is what I'm saying.

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
Am I missing something? What does Pepe have to do with alt right?
alt right have effectively "stolen" him, in that some people won't associate with him because he's been used by alt-right people. Pepe has become a symbol for them insomuch that people have allowed them to have it. You know how you stop something becoming a symbol? Keep using it as normal. Thankfully, pepe is still regularly used by people who have no idea of its alt-right usage, and therefore are succeeding at relinquishing it from the alt-right's grasp.

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Alt-right doesn't really use Pepe as much anymore now that everyone knows about it and is effectively taking him back.

xMaximusx

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You made a thread asking a question, then when people gave you answers you didn't agree with, you changed the thesis statement of the thread from "is this person alt-right?" to "this person is alt-right."

Then when people suggested that the use of a meme that a group uses doesn't necessarily mean you're part of that group, you changed the thesis statement even further to "I don't like people who use memes that the alt-right also uses."

What was the point of this thread? To let people know you don't like Pepe? Cool story, I guess?
[/QUOTE]

So much this...and then using his step-daughter as an excuse to make the thread

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty ridiculous but it's very era. Your life, your kids, OP. but this thread just makes you look a bit silly and I hope you understand why.

Last edited:

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
You're the parent, start parenting, don't ask a forum what you need to do. Holy hell man, watch some videos and decide if it's right for your child

Oct 25, 2017
Just because some assholes started using doesn't mean they own it. Seems unfair to judge some one based on that without some behavior that indicates they hold some nasty views.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
FeelsBadMan and its varients on twitch are not alt right emojis. Wish people would stop giving Pepe away to them, FeelsBadMan.

OP
OP

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I think a lot of you are underestimating how important iconography like this frog is to the alt right movement. It's designed to look silly and stupid on the surface, and to elicit the reactions that many people in this thread are having. That doesn't make it any less recognizable or empowering to those who are actually a part of the movement.

It's possible that this Denis guy really did use it innocently, but as I think it should be discouraged for anyone to use Pepe at all, my decision to ban it from the household stands.

I agree that this thread is kind of a shitshow and might need to be locked, but it's not because of me or my parenting decisions. Many of you should take a step back and think about what's happening in our culture right now.

Dorfdad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh it's going to be one of these threads

No but it should. I'm a Conservative Republican but in these forms that is treated like your some evil nazi. How about you have some Terrelarance you always scream about.

That said I'm not against LGBT or Immegration when done properly. I'm against outrageous hand outs and bigger government. believe in the family unit and rules

Tya

Oct 30, 2017
I think a lot of you are underestimating how important iconography like this frog is to the alt right movement. It's designed to look silly and stupid on the surface, and to elicit the reactions that many people in this thread are having. That doesn't make it any less recognizable or empowering to those who are actually a part of the movement.

It's possible that this Denis guy really did use it innocently, but as I think it should be discouraged for anyone to use Pepe at all, my decision to ban it from the household stands.

I agree that this thread is kind of a shitshow and might need to be locked, but it's not because of me or my parenting decisions. Many of you should take a step back and think about what's happening in our culture right now.

How old is your step-daughter? Arbitrarily banning her from watching something she enjoys over something she could easily interpret as completely innocuous doesn't seem like a good idea to me. "It is just a frog. What is the big deal?"

Instead, it could be used as a teaching moment in recognizing context. Even organizations like the ADL recognize that it is all about context.

You are kind of opening up a can of worms if any of her friends use it. What if one of her friends texts her, "Got a 70 on my math test. FeelsBadMan." She'll know what you think of anyone who uses the meme, while also recognizing that her friend isn't a piece of shit nazi wannabe.

Last edited:

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

You know where you are, right? Everyone here already knows exactly what you're saying right now. I and others still would find your reaction a bit silly, even despite you having come in to give a more reasonable justification for your outlook @ this post.
I'd say that to let the alt-right determine on a whim what is and isn't acceptable on the internet is giving them too much power. I've been using the okay symbol ten times a week since I was five and I won't stop now just because some assholes on the internet wanna convince everyone that it really means I hate. I'll just trust the people in my environment to understand the context and that I'm not a creep.

Metalmurphy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Don't be silly OP, there's nothing wrong with just having Pepe in your stream, it's the content/person that matters.

I mean some of the Pepe emotes/usages on Twitch are just plain funny, personally I find it hilarious when there's some awesome song playing and all the chat goes
1x
1x
1x