• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Uniomni

Banned
Jun 13, 2022
Not speaking about quality, but in terms of the tinkering and mechanical flexibility?

Or is it still TLOU2 for third person action adventure titles?

Because man, some of the things I'm seeing from TOTK put me in mind of MGS5, the flawed masterpiece that game was.

Airbombers with detachable ground units, drones with laser bombardment.

Thoughts?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's in the same ballpark, but the combat is still SO MUCH WORSE than what MGS5 has on offer. That's the big thing holding it back. It has tons of potential for fucking around but the actual fighting just pales in comparison to MGS5.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's in the same ballpark, but the combat is still SO MUCH WORSE than what MGS5 has on offer. That's the big thing holding it back. It has tons of potential for fucking around but the actual fighting just pales in comparison to MGS5.
100% this. Same ballpark in the creativity department but the absolute dogshit combat mechanics/controls drag it down.

Oct 25, 2017
I think Zelda is fairly unique in what it does. I don't think the actual combat holds a candle to TPP in terms of fluidity and enemy AI, but it's a wonderful physics playground. It shines most during the puzzles I think, not combat which is one of its weaker aspects.

Pocky4Th3Win

Oct 31, 2017
Minnesota
No because the frame rate makes the playing it feel worse and the control scheme is just lacking I feel. Sure it's very free form but MGS5 felt good and moved very smooth while Zelda feels stiff in comparison.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I wish Zelda contolled as good as MSGV, it often feels like the controls were ported from a N64 controller and had to be condense on to a Pro/Switch Cons.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So I'm not crazy. Had this exact thought. BotW and TotK are crazy good, but it's insane how people seem to forget the crazy shit you can do in MGSV. And the combat is better on top of it all.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
100% this. Same ballpark in the creativity department but the absolute dogshit combat mechanics/controls drag it down.

The combat is so badly implemented that I've had shields actually break on me maybe four times the ENTIRE GAME, because 90% of enemy attacks just ignore shields and do damage to Link even if you're blocking. Almost every shield I've ever gotten rid of is because I dropped it on the ground to make room for a better shield. Shields are almost completely pointless.

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
Worst part is botw/totk were a regression from TP/SS's combat. The combat options around melee are better but the core swordplay is just so bad.

CanadianGoose

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 23, 2023
Lol, TOTK is janky af. I fucking hate MGS5 but that game controls better than anything.

Totk is a much better game tho.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
I wish Zelda contolled as good as MSGV, it often feels like the controls were ported from a N64 controller and had to be condense on to a Pro/Switch Cons.

It's funny you mentioned N64, I was just thinking as I played TotK this morning that I keep having to dive into menus an awful lot, like way back in OoT when you'd have to open the menu to equip and unequip iron boots constantly.

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
MGSV is a vastly better game from a playability and combat perspective. Just not even in the same league.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
The combat is so badly implemented that I've had shields actually break on me maybe four times the ENTIRE GAME, because 90% of enemy attacks just ignore shields and do damage to Link even if you're blocking. Almost every shield I've ever gotten rid of is because I dropped it on the ground to make room for a better shield. Shields are almost completely pointless.
I got the Hylian shield and then just threw shit away for the exact same reason as you in both BOTW and TOTK or to take them and put them up in my house

ket

Jul 27, 2018
These are completely different games. The only similarity I can see is that they both (generally speaking) encourage creativity in their gameplay. Otherwise, MGSV is a stealth action game about infiltration and extraction while TotK is an action-adventure game about problem solving and making cool contraptions and vehicles.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I see MGS fans found this thread first. What hyperbolic comments lol.

I have over 90 hours of playtime in TotK. Believe me, I enjoy the game. I'm just very cognizant of its flaws, and I would be remiss if I didn't bring up how poorly implemented the combat is compared to the exploration and "just fucking around" tools the game gives you.

Oct 27, 2017
These are completely different games. The only similarity I can see is that they both (generally speaking) encourage creativity in their gameplay. Otherwise, MGSV is a stealth action game about infiltration and extraction while TotK is an action-adventure game about problem solving and making cool contraptions and vehicles.
What I came here to say. Very weird comparison.

Hero Prinny

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its funny you make this thread cause i compare the rwo games with my friends as well. I call mgs5 the botw of tps games. I wish it could have gotten its totk. Both mgs5 and botw both have a solid foundation but i found both worlds to be super empty. Totk fixed that. If only mgs could have gotten a sequel of similar quality

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
Zelda doesn't have horrendously misogynistic characters and pervy camera angles all over the place so it's got that going for it.

dom

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Zelda doesn't have horrendously misogynistic characters and pervy camera angles all over the place so it's got that going for it.
But you cant play as a woman, which MGS does have. Not excusing MGS, but let's also not act like Zelda doesn't have issues with representation.

Last edited:

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand how TLOU2 is even in the same conversation as MGSV and TOTK in terms of gameplay.

King Tubby

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think this is a proper comparison to make. TotK is more clearly along the lines of an RPG like Skyrim I'd say, but even then the comparison isn't that great.

What TotK excels at is creating a set of mechanics that complement a world designed around physics and exploration as the primary mode of gameplay. The emphasis on all the things that aren't the traditional combat is what makes the game special. Not just in terms of traversal but also the unconventional means of fighting you can use. I would describe it as one of the most qualitative RPGs I've played in that raw stats mean relatively little opposed to the quality of, for example, applying fire damage, or being able to ascend through a structure you levitate in the air to get an advantage on your foes.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
Still don't get why people build mgs5 up as some immaculate take on...well anything.

Aside from that, what about the games are even remotely comparable? I really don't understand.

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
I know some people compare these two for their sandbox approach, but the MGS title BOTW/TOTK reminds me of the most is actually MGS3.

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
TLOU Part 2 has the best Third person action I have played.

Oct 25, 2017
MGSV was already easily surpassed by others in its genre.
Ghost Recon Wildlands for example vehicles don't feel like shit.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I'd agree. The combat is what sets them apart, and even though I don't really mind Zelda's combat, the whole thing of just using a weapon to stun lock pretty much every enemy until they go down is....dull.

I don't need the game to be DMC or anything, but the fact that every combat instance has the same solution makes me not want to engage with combat....and I generally don't.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I fail to see the point of comparison between thess two games.

Is this about combat? Yes, MGSV does a better job in its genre than TotK but that's about it. TotK is the better game... by a dramatic distance.

Oct 26, 2017
I am really glad I'm not the only one who thinks TotK combat is not great. I run past 90% of fights at this point....Not worth it. It's not rewarding enough to make me feel good after a win, but will definitely dampen my mood if I do engage and things go to shit.

Jubilant Duck

Oct 21, 2022
Interesting comparison.

Mechanically, not even close as others have said, as it's all a bit floaty and imprecise, and the combat itself has little or no depth and the AI is dumber than a bag of rocks by design.

In terms of the sandbox however, I'd argue it surpasses MGSV in terms of environmental approaches and options when you mix in the various chemical and physics interactions. Just wish it felt as satisfying as it should.

I'd still give the overall edge to MGSV but I hadn't realised until this thread what itch BOTW and TOTK were scratching - so cheers for that!

It does however have giant Great Fairies who are heavily implied to rape link (but for laughs because the victim is a man!) when you upgrade an item to its max level.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
But you cant play as a woman, which MGS does have. Not excusing MGS, but let's also not act like Zelda doesn't have issues with representation.
Not to mention that its PoC characters (namely Ganondorf & most of the Gerudo) are voiced by white actors, but that's more on the ADR than the devs themselves.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Their goals are vastly different. One's a Military Stealth-Action sandbox the other is a Fantasy Puzzle-Adventure sandbox - but they both reward creativity in spades - leveraging interacting world systems and reactivity to give players an insane amount of variety and freedom in their approach.

TOTK features a much deeper, more complex 'possibility space', though(as it should, coming 8 years later) and has many more layers to it compared to MGSV, which I love.

Last edited:

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
MGSV is incredibly deep but it doesn't come close to offering the flexibility TOTK has design-wise.

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
lol if TotK is a Kojima game it's 100% Death Stranding. Wandering around. Looking for places to climb and building weird scifi shit to cross rivers and mountains.

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
Mgs 5 gameplay is like the very best tps genre has to offer. Totk is amazing from what I've played so far(this game is too big I'm not even 10% into completion probably) but its combat doesn't hold a candle to mgs 5. Movement wise it's great, the freedom given to a player to solve something is amazing but the actual combat is mediocre. Combat in this game feels like a puzzle, once you figure out the solution it's over. Both games excel in their own areas.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
MGS5 is much more fun to play than TotK's god awful menu fiddling distributing combat
in terms of flexibility in exploration or traversal in general, TotK has it beat

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
lol if TotK is a Kojima game it's 100% Death Stranding. Wandering around. Looking for places to climb and building weird scifi shit to cross rivers and mountains.
I absolutely felt some Death Stranding vibes early into TOTK so I agree.
They even both have creepy hands that appear out of goop to chase you down. lol

Oct 27, 2017
I love both but they're too different. Like others have said, the combat is ass in botw and totk. I was super hoping that Twilight princesses combat system was going to be Zelda combat going forward. Learning new sword skills and such was such a cool idea, and that cool "spin sword around and sheathe it" move you can do was unnecessary but really cool.

I tend to avoid combat now in totk because it's boring and it doesn't handle fighting multiple enemies at once very well.

I feel like Death stranding is a bit more comparable in terms of physics and such

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
To elaborate, Zelda and MGSV kind of perfected the Ubisoft open-world formula, or at least streamlined it and gave it more solid gameplay fundamentals.

Hakai

Oct 27, 2017
Zelda combat is not only about sword combat people. That is just a small part of it.