• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Currently playing FF9 on Switch. It's so wonderful and endearing in so many ways. But Zidane's womanizing tendencies are played up as "lovable quirks" through the game so far. (I'm in Lindblum).

I get that this is an old ass game, and so far, it hasn't felt egregious enough for me to dislike the game or cast, but it does take me out of it a little bit. I'm hoping he grows more as a character. I never got last the beginning when the game came out, so I dunno how it all plays out.

Where do you guys stand Era?

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Never cared for zidane, he always reminded me of the football player at the time.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
I'm further than you (Disc 3, Treno) and the answer is still yes, despite the relationship between him and Dagger being fleshed out a bit more

Zidane: man i'm so depressed about dagger........

Zidane, one hour later: The card champion is a girl? oooh man lemme see that CUTIE

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Currently playing FF9 on Switch. It's so wonderful and endearing in so many ways. But Zidane's womanizing tendencies are played up as "lovable quirks" through the game so far. (I'm in Lindblum).

I get that this is an old ass game, and so far, it hasn't felt egregious enough for me to dislike the game or cast, but it does take me out of it a little bit. I'm hoping he grows more as a character. I never got last the beginning when the game came out, so I dunno how it all plays out.

Where do you guys stand Era?
yes, he gets better though

he also framed amarant and made him a wanted man when amarant was only 18 and did nothing

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, he did grow up in a band of thieves where that kind of behavior is commonplace. He's a bit sleazy yeah, but never to the point where it felt like he was disgusting.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
He has a few less-than-savory moments, particularly the incidental ass grab, but I thought he was fine as long as you accept he's cut from the same cloth as characters like Yusuke Urameshi, good hearted characters with a perverted side played for laughs a few times. Most of his womanizing is from a few quips here and there. He's a product of his time for the most part.

He's certainly no Muten Roshi from Dragon Ball.

Last edited:

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
yes, he gets better though

he also framed amarant and made him a wanted man when amarant was only 18 and did nothing
Amarant is such a strange character. I was taken aback that that was his big backstory. Hopefully there's down the line, what you posted is as far as I am.

Acquila

Oct 26, 2017
BuNIAsR.jpg

3wiGx0z.png

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
The whole Tantalus group was presented as rapscallions who actually have hearts of gold - including Zidane.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The Garnet ass grab really caught me off guard. I had completely forgotten about that moment until it popped up in the game. He does get better, but "yikes" covers it pretty well.

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Zidane's definitely an interesting character with some problematic tropes (which sadly are still somewhat common in anime and manga today). I really enjoyed his story arc that happens later in the game, though. Honestly, I think the thing that takes me out a little more, although Zidane's is a bit more prevalent (given his largely the focus in most of the game, sans parts here or there), is that Zidane's father, Baku's behavior is probably a bit more repulsive. Especially given his comment about Garnet at the beginning of the game...

EDIT: And yeah, the Garnet butt grab is probably the worst thing Zidane does, arguably in the game. It's also pretty sleazy what leads up to it, since it's clear he could've gone up first.

EDIT #2:

Amarant is such a strange character. I was taken aback that that was his big backstory. Hopefully there's down the line, what you posted is as far as I am.

Well...

Sadly, that's... as much development you really get. There's a minor thing that happens a little bit later, but really, he's arguably the most underdeveloped character. He's just sorta... there.

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
The answer to this is "yes... but". He is a product of the era, but even then its not to the degree of worse examples. As others have said its the "heart of gold" that really shines through and his general sleaziness does not go uncommented on by others.

The icky parts are few and far between. I love his character arc and think he's actually quite progressive in many other aspects so you take the good and the bad.

Cheezeman3000

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2018
I think it's intended to show his immaturity. He's only 16 in the game, and constantly hits on girls, many times awkwardly, as 16 year olds can do. It's also supposed to be humorous, including the ass grab. In 2019 I think a lot of people won't find that humorous but people definitely laughed the first time they played it in the early 2000s. Back then the response to someone calling it out would've been, lighten up it's just a joke. Nowadays the response is, you can't joke about sexual assault. We're definitely in a better place now, but maybe that will help give people some context.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Absolutely he is.

Anyone badmouthing Squall on the other hand deserves a slap. That dude's a goddamn gentleman.

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
Yeah, he is very sleazy, a pervert and it is not portrayed in the game in a bad light except arguably for showing his inmature side at the beginning. Through out the game he grows and you barely see this side anymore, maybe because the plot moves aways from humorous scenes altogether.

I do like Zidane, he is charming and I think his relationship with Garnet is very natural, if a little bit boring. Not all MCs need to be morally right, and it's good they aren't.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I never thought of him as a sleezebag but a usual wanna be playboy who is kinda a smooth talker, but quite obviously a virgin lol. Like Zidane is the kid who will swear up and down he had an orgy last Tuesday if he hears another kid in school kissed a girl. Hes a very immature typical teenage boy of his time/time the game was made imo. I don't remember him doing anything too bad compared to some other characters running around this time, other than commenting on touching Garnet's butt sorta accidentally. Hes never been my favorite character but felt like they kinda went a bit silly victorian fantasy with him and his friends (not the main cast, Blank and crew I mean)

Don't remember much of the later parts of this game though so can't really back it up too well admittedly so he might be worse than I remember.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Yeah he defintely gets better; honestly while the butt grab makes your eyes roll, overall Zidane is still one of my favourite FF protags for multiple reasons;

So OP, keep on playing; you'll like him.

For people who played FF IX;

Zidane, while being a more aloof character and somewhat carefree at first, does change over time. Honestly I feel he doesn't change in regards to his personality, but mostly drops the mask and truly shows who he is.

- During the beginning of the game he behaves like you'd expect from a rogue in a band of thieves: smooth talker, blunt, kind of does his thing and a womanizer. He exhibits a few moments where his friendly, but overall his first impression isn't positive. Steiner berates him several times and is right. Even Garnet, during the moment where he wants to take her out for a tour like he suggested, only to get shot down because he asked another girl out.

- His real personality shows when heading towards Lindblum and Burmecia. Without any hesitation he offers his help to Freya and expresses his feelings about protecting the townspeople.

- During this time he also keeps thinking about Garnet and hoping she's okay. For a womanizer, he seems really worried about her.

- After escaping Cleyra, seeing the destruction of Lindblum and escaping to the Lost Continent, Zidane really provides emotional support for Garnet. She thinks he's teasing her at times, but he tells her his story of him always searching for his place of birth or where he came from. Also he seems really disappointed when Garnet just says they are friends and not married lol

There is more, but can't type now lol

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Yes. But he gets better. When Eiko
joins the party and starts acting the same way towards him, he's like "Oh shit, is this is what it's like with me for others? I better tone that down.."

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Zidane is one of my favorite FF main protagonists. He is charming, fun and it was nice to have a less depressed character after Squall and Cloud.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Is the steampunk era criminal ladies man a steampunk era criminal ladies man?

Like what kinda question is this?

Oct 27, 2017
I always thought Zidane was a breath of fresh air from the angsty protagonists we've gotten and have continued to get in the series(though I love Squall). Yes, he is problematic in a few areas, but like real people, characters shouldn't have to be perfect, in fact I find it much more interesting when they aren't.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
One of my favourite protagonists and his and Garnets relationship is the best in the series imo

Oct 27, 2017
Zidane is one of my favorite FF main protagonists. He is charming, fun and it was nice to have a less depressed character after Squall and Cloud.

Yup, Co-signed. His "gung-ho"-ness and optimistic nature had me take to him immediately.

I also loved the dynamic between him and Vivi, who by contrast, was very mopey and unsure of himself(though understandable).

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
I never thought of him as a sleezebag but a usual wanna be playboy who is kinda a smooth talker, but quite obviously a virgin lol. Like Zidane is the kid who will swear up and down he had an orgy last Tuesday if he hears another kid in school kissed a girl. Hes a very immature typical teenage boy of his time/time the game was made imo. I don't remember him doing anything too bad compared to some other characters running around this time, other than commenting on touching Garnet's butt sorta accidentally. Hes never been my favorite character but felt like they kinda went a bit silly victorian fantasy with him and his friends (not the main cast, Blank and crew I mean)

Don't remember much of the later parts of this game though so can't really back it up too well admittedly so he might be worse than I remember.

There's not wannabe about him. Zidane very much in his game is a playboy. A lot of the sidequest banter and stuff very clearly suggest and shows Zidane does get around.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I always got the impression the ass grab was accidental and then Zidane made a joke about it.

Either way it's just a scene from its time.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
Can someone please remind me when Ass grab happens? I am completely blanking. All I remember is Air ship scene, but he didn't grab her, he bumped into it when climbing behind her.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
Zidane is one of the better characters, i highly recommend the FF union character video

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
Well...

Sadly, that's... as much development you really get. There's a minor thing that happens a little bit later, but really, he's arguably the most underdeveloped character. He's just sorta... there.
Well, that's a serious bummer, but I know what to expect now I suppose.
Yes. But he gets better. When Eiko
joins the party and starts acting the same way towards him, he's like "Oh shit, is this is what it's like with me for others? I better tone that down.."
He's still doing it tho, well after that moment.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Can someone please remind me when Ass grab happens? I am completely blanking. All I remember is Air ship scene, but he didn't grab her, he bumped into it when climbing behind her.
That's how I interpreted the scene too, but after watching it again it does seem like he grabs it:

Could still be accidental as he reaches for the next rung of the ladder, but it's more uncertain than I thought. But if it were intentional, it wouldn't be most appalling offense in the world... It's bad, but it doesn't make him completely despicable or irredeemable in my eyes.

Mailbox

Oct 30, 2017
well, yeah, him being a womanizing jagoff is part of his character and, shocker, he grows and understands why he wasn't right in how he acted and thought.

tbh zidane's character growth is imo pretty great in this regard.
i need to replay the game again to be sure, but i think what im saying is pretty on point

Oct 25, 2017
Very specifically so? It's not the most graceful aspect of his character arc and they play up to it for comedy value at times as well but they actively contrast him with the rest of the cast from the beginning with his behaviour and it's something that's commented on and is addressed as the game goes on. A core theme of the game is looking for a place to call home & belong and some of that is location based, but it's as a group of somewhat broken people who become friends too, and find that sense of belonging as a unit right? And you have to be a good friend for that to work. You see a number of characters in the game learn how to live alongside each other and change, be it working on their personality flaws & insecurities, being more proactive as an individual and so on.

ZeroDS

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I always thought it was showing that while he tries to smooth talk he obviously has very little experience with women and it's one of the ways he tries to hide his own feelings of...well the rest is kinda spoiler territory.

The contrast with him and Vivi is great, him pushing Vivi to be more confident when he himself is deep down just like Vivi.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
He starts off as being a bit of a sleazy 16 year old, which makes sense given his background. The airship ass-grab is a scene which demonstrates this, played off as an accident but likely just an opportunity for him to cop a feel.

However, writing him and the game off for this would be short sighted - it's okay to have flawed characters, and he definitely grows as the story progresses and he realises his place in the world. It doesn't tackle this specific flaw head on (it would have been good for him to specifically be called out for that kind of behaviour), but there's definitely at least a little change in his attitude the further he goes in the game.

Calliope

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Detroit, MI
The ass grab was gross in IX and they've played up his womanizing in spin-off stuff and as a woman it's just off putting. I like him better than Squall but that's not really saying much. Love the rest of IX's cast though.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I've always hated Zidane for multiple reasons and it honestly affects my enjoyment of the game enough to drop it down a few places in my series ranking