• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Sep 5, 2021
Katsu, donburi and onigiri are among 23 Japanese words added to the Oxford English Dictionary in its latest update.

More than half of the borrowed words relate to food or cooking. Santoku, a knife with a short, flat blade that curves down at the tip, and okonomiyaki, a type of savoury pancake, were both added. Okonomiyaki is derived from okonomi, meaning "what you like", combined with yaki, meaning "to fry, to sear".

A number of terms related to art also feature in the update. "For centuries, artists from around the world have taken inspiration from Japanese art, and this can be seen in the number of words belonging to the domain of arts and crafts that English has borrowed from Japanese," said Salazar.

Isekai, a Japanese genre of fantasy fiction involving a character being transported to or reincarnated in a different, strange, or unfamiliar world, also made the OED. A recent example of the genre is Hayao Miyazaki's Studio Ghibli film The Boy and the Heron, in which 12-year-old Mahito discovers an abandoned tower, a gateway to a fantastical world.

www.theguardian.com

The Oxford English Dictionary’s latest update adds 23 Japanese words

More than half of the borrowed words relate to cooking, while Kintsugi, the increasingly popular art of repairing broken pottery with gold lacquer is also included

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Finally I can use the Japanese words I'm always using due to knowing both language and if people call me a weeb I can point them to the dictionary.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Truck-kun must be ecstatic.
AATXAJwgb8wdcal0hHyz-gwnfYyVz2dX9XQj3CORFg=s900-c-k-c0xffffffff-no-rj-mo

bleck98534

Feb 18, 2023
I really love the OED. Anyone who has access to the full thing through school or something should try to really explore it at least once. It's so much better and more interesting than any other dictionary, especially if you're working with older texts.

Jubilant Duck

Oct 21, 2022
maybe they can properly define "katsu" while they're at it so I don't have to get disappointed to find unbreaded, unfried chicken in a generic curry sauce

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Gate and Overlord are the only isekai you need

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
That's neat!

Now we wait for the user who is going to come in complain while unironically using words clearly borrowed from other languages.

AvianAviator

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 23, 2021
A recent example of the genre is Hayao Miyazaki's Studio Ghibli film The Boy and the Heron, in which 12-year-old Mahito discovers an abandoned tower, a gateway to a fantastical world.
If someone takes the next step and calls Spirited Away an isekai anime I'm going to have a conniption

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Good. These are common words down our way. It would be anaspeptic, frasmotic, even compunctuous if the late addition of these common words caused any pericombobulation.

Two Peppers

May 29, 2022
I remember smugly telling someone a few years ago that we already had a term for fantasy stories like Narnia or Oz, they're called "portal fantasies."

She immediately googled "portal fantasy" which got 10s of thousands of results and "isekai" which got 10s of millions of results and I was like fuck, ok I guess they're all isekais.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
If someone takes the next step and calls Spirited Away an isekai anime I'm going to have a conniption

The definition is very broad but i would say it's an Isekai. The suggestion in Spirited Away is that there is no actual separation between the worlds, it's all part of the same thing and you should be able to move freely between them. Like you wouldn't be transported to a magical world, but the world you already live in is magical without you knowing it.