• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017
Over the last week I decided to binge watch the most popular and iconic horror movies that everyone knows:

Halloween
Nightmare on Elm Street
Poltergeist
Evil Dead 1 and 2
Carrie
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
The Exorcist
Scream 1 and 2
All the Romero, Day of the Living Dead Movies/Dawn of the Living Dead, etc

The thing is...none of them were actually scary. Sure, they all had their moments of unsettling scenes or disturbing moments you were supposed to find off-putting, but none of it really phased me.

I was especially disappointed with "The Exorcist." I had never seen that movie will recently, and for years I heard it was, "The scariest horror movie ever made." I watch it and outside of maybe that spider-walk scene, it was just a girl possessed by a demon strapped down to her bed for the entire movie. The whole movie was slow as well, and the demon possessed girl came across as more comedic than scary, especially one of her lines to the main guy, "You're a mother-fucking cock-sucker" which actually made me burst out laughing with the "demon voice" they used and given this movie is from 1973. I mean this was the movie that I read had audiences fainting in the movie theaters in the 70's...

I mean I'm well aware many of these movies were, "products of their time" since all of them are from the 70's and 80's, and I know back then there was nothing like them so they felt shocking to audiences, but they feel so tame nowadays. To me one of the scariest movies was, "The Sixth Sense" with Bruce Willis because I saw the movie for the first time when I was 12 and it scared the shit out of me, and I still don't like the ghosts in the movie to this day. But everything else, eh?
Horror doesn't always mean scary. Also, horror is extremely subjective. It's pretty hard to judge horror in general, especially years later.

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Conjuring 2 is my favourite scare movie over the past few years

Sinister for me.

That film stayed with me for like a week after I watched it at the cinema, on the at back me and my friend saw a guy appear on the grass verge by the road just waiting to cross, he appeared out the dark from nowhere and we shat ourselves.

Paranormal Activity 2 kitchen scene scared me senseless too. Fuck me. Me and the GF have never had that hair stand up on the back of your neck before that scene to any film.

Oct 27, 2017
Over the last week I decided to binge watch the most popular and iconic horror movies that everyone knows:

Halloween
Nightmare on Elm Street
Poltergeist
Evil Dead 1 and 2
Carrie
The Exorcist
Scream 1 and 2

The thing is...none of them were actually scary. Sure, they all had their moments of unsettling scenes or disturbing moments you were supposed to find off-putting, but none of it really phased me.

I was especially disappointed with "The Exorcist." I had never seen that movie will recently, and for years I heard it was, "The scariest horror movie ever made." I watch it and outside of maybe that spider-walk scene, it was just a girl possessed by a demon strapped down to her bed for the entire movie. The whole movie was slow as well, and the demon possessed girl came across as more comedic than scary, especially one of her lines to the main guy, "You're a mother-fucking cock-sucker" which actually made me burst out laughing with the "demon voice" they used and given this movie is from 1973. I mean this was the movie that I read had audiences fainting in the movie theaters in the 70's...

I mean I'm well aware many of these movies were, "products of their time" since all of them are from the 70's and 80's, and I know back then there was nothing like them so they felt shocking to audiences, but they feel so tame nowadays. To me one of the scariest movies was, "The Sixth Sense" with Bruce Willis because I saw the movie for the first time when I was 12 and it scared the shit out of me, and I still don't like the ghosts in the movie to this day. But everything else, eh?

The next generation is going to laugh at what you call a scary movie, too.

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's just a few jump scares. Terrible lack of atmosphere and the whole thing comes off as cheesy
I just love how James wan directs, his films seem to pull off scares and jump scenes in a reverse way.

Such as the police scene, i expected that when the police came in nothing would happen... but the chair flew across the room.

I go to movies to be entertained and his movies do that for me :) cheesy or not

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
Disagreed entirely with the OP, this post best sums up a big reason why
You saw these movies completely removed from their time periods and the world in which they were released. The Exorcist might not scare you now but at the time people were leaving the theaters because of how scary it was. People thought Psycho was a terrifying movie also and it's pretty laughable to watch now.
Unquestionably scarier films have been released since these films' time. It in no way diminishes their impact in the genre's legacy or negates the prior effects they had on audiences

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ET.jpg

I move that we should now post this instead of the Pinocchio "dead" GIF.

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sinister for me.

That film stayed with me for like a week after I watched it at the cinema, on the at back me and my friend saw a guy appear on the grass verge by the road just waiting to cross, he appeared out the dark from nowhere and we shat ourselves.

Paranormal Activity 2 kitchen scene scared me senseless too. Fuck me. Me and the GF have never had that hair stand up on the back of your neck before that scene to any film.
I haven't seen sinister, will defo check that one out.

Haha yes I forgot about paranormal activity, that one has me hiding like a baby!

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You saw these movies completely removed from their time periods and the world in which they were released. The Exorcist might not scare you now but at the time people were leaving the theaters because of how scary it was. People thought Psycho was a terrifying movie also and it's pretty laughable to watch now.
Speaking of the exorcist, the new exorcist tv show season 1 & 2 were amazing!!

I wish they had gained more traction as they were really well done

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
Wait. What's laughable about Psycho? It may not be horrifying but it's still a fantastic thriller.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017

Halloween
Nightmare on Elm Street
Poltergeist
Evil Dead 1 and 2
Carrie
The Exorcist
Scream 1 and 2

Of course you don't think they are scary, you didn't see them when they first came out. To you, Sixth Sense was scary because you were an impressionable 12-year old and it scared the shit out of you, so you kept a part of that deep inside you. I admit, years later, a lot of the movies you listed are tame, but back then, they literally SCARED THE FUCK out of audiences. Like, I got to see the first A Nightmare on Elm Street as a child, and it literally made me run out of the room screaming. I was afraid to go to sleep for MANY nights and literally had REAL nightmares of Freddy stalking and KILLING me! I remember hearing my aunt and her friends went to go see Halloween and walked home from the theater and kept hearing noises and thought someone was following them. They psychological terror lasts. It's want keeps you from looking into the backyard during a pitch black night when you hear something fall over (like a trashcan or rake). It's why when you are a kid, you wake up and RUN to the bathroom, then RUN back to bed so nothing "gets you".

For me, Night of the Living Dead isn't scary, but I can appreciate it more as a film that broke ground. I could also understand, if you haven't seen something like that before, you could have your mind blown and that shit would put your imagination on overdrive. Hell, like I said, I wasn't SCARED of it as a child (saw it WAY after it was made), but I did think, visiting a cemetery, how creepy it would be if I looked to the distance and saw a zombie slowly shambling my way). I think that's something with horror. In real life, something like that wouldn't happen, but, what if it did? What if, beyond logic and rational, it happened and you were put into that situation. That WOULD be scary. That's just how I love to see horror movies (What if I was there? What if that shit was happening to me?).

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Time and place

My mom remembers seeing The Exorcist in theaters when she was a kid, and the movie had a serious effect on her. She left the theater literally shaking. She had her younger brothers with her as well, and they felt the same. I remember her telling me that they huddled close together hugging each other outside the theater because of how scared they were.

Simba

Nov 25, 2017
I was told that certain scenes in Disneys Snow White were frightening to audiences back when it originally came out. Not just to kids either.

I'm guessing it is because modern audiences handle movies differently than they did many decades ago.

My dad told me stories of seeing The Exorcist in theaters, and how people ran out of the theater screaming. When I saw it I was disturbed but not frightened.

Ryaaan14

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
This is the most nauseating thread ever.

I don't even care if it's thread whining. If the OP wants to list a bunch of scary movies just to tell ppl they don't get scared then that is stupid

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure someone already mentioned this but just a reminder that the most widely popular *anything* of a certain style, genre, flavor, etc, is likely not the purest representation of those categories.

Bloodarmz

Jul 11, 2018
Out of the ones you mentioned, I watched Halloween, Sixth Sense and Carrie for the first time last year and thought they were all great.
I don't remember the last time I was scared watching a film, it might have been Lights Out because I had trouble discerning what I was looking at, and not understanding adds to the fear, kind of like "what the fuck am I looking at?"
I don't get people going into horror films already in the mind state of "I'm too macho to be scared", like, you need to be open to caring about the characters and hoping they live, wanting the atmosphere to drag you in, letting your imagination play along and maybe even playing the films at normal speed.
If you're not willing to be invested there is no point.

Oct 25, 2017
The thing that worked for Six Sense was the tension and how unsettling it felt, other than a few scenes it wasn't trying to be typically SCARY!

Like an immediate thought for my all time creepy/scary scenes would be
the-sixth-sense-haley-joel-osment-bike-ghost.jpg

I haven't rewatched the movie in 15+ years but i'd never forget that scene.

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I can't get scared by conventional horror movies as they are too silly for me to suspend my disbelief.

Unsettling movies with psychological impact do far more for me in a scary sense.

Eden Lake was a tough watch due to how real it is.

Can also add off the top of my head:

Martyrs
Salo
Funny Games
Begotten
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
The thing that worked for Six Sense was the tension and how unsettling it felt, other than a few scenes it wasn't trying to be typically SCARY!

Like an immediate thought for my all time creepy/scary scenes would be
the-sixth-sense-haley-joel-osment-bike-ghost.jpg

I haven't rewatched the movie in 15+ years but i'd never forget that scene.

The scene that does it for me is when he's in the tent and little Mischa Barton is doing a spook on him.

J2C

Oct 26, 2017
I hated Hrefitary, character motivations, logic, etc were all over the place. I feel like it has its priorities in tbe wrong place, and horror fans love that apparently. That always bothers me. The horror films I really love are infinitely rewatchable, Great, charismatic pefformances, interesting characters, drama that makes you think, mood and atmosphere. That doesn't always inherently lend itself to being as scary as fucking possible, but I'd rather have a tight, smart horror film than the scariest thing possible.

For the record I think I was pretty unsettled through It Follows. But again, the plot and characters are gripping. If it de-emphasized that in an effort to truly scare you I would be annoyed. Its also why I dont show up for most of the cheap horror films made through the year, outside of a plan to scare you their characters and drama are always severly undercooked and abandoned for a good jump scare or "fucked up" moment

Tux_

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
The Exorcist still holds up extremely well for its age. And when it released, it was scary as hell.
But you cant be watching these movies 40 years later and say they're not scary.

Paranormal Activity 1 is the best horror movie of all time btw. Dont @ me.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
No, 1.5x speed isn't fast forward. I do that during slow points in movies.
Wait... are you saying that aside from watching stuff at 1.5x speed, you also skip through slow points in movies? Why do you even watch movies?

Conjuring 2 is my favourite scare movie over the past few years
I think the first Evil Dead was meant to be a horror, Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness are clearly more comedy than horror.

Bernd Lauert

Banned
May 27, 2018
This thread just reminds me that I somehow missed The Sixth Sense entirely and now I feel I would waste my time watching it because the ending has been spoiled to me many times over.

OP
OP

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Wait... are you saying that aside from watching stuff at 1.5x speed, you also skip through slow points in movies? Why do you even watch movies?

I play movies regularly on 1.5x speed, when the action or "important" scenes come on, I lower it to regular speed. Then switch back up. I mean seeing extra seconds of a character walking down a hallway or walking through the streets isn't going to make much difference, and I save my free time this way.

aliengmr

Oct 26, 2017
When I was a kid a LOT of movies gave me nightmares. All those movies would have fucked me up. Even when the movie wasn't scary to me at the time of watching it. One day though, it just stopped, not sure why because the change was pretty abrupt. At one point I think I was more scare of having the nightmares than the content of said nightmares.

Bloodarmz

Jul 11, 2018
This thread just reminds me that I somehow missed The Sixth Sense entirely and now I feel I would waste my time watching it because the ending has been spoiled to me many times over.

As someone who used to feel the same way, it was still worth the watch. In a similar fashion, I haven't seen Citizen Kane because I know what Rosebud is, but I'm sure there is more to the film than just that. Same with Soylent Green.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017

It's a solid film, a classic at this point. Knowing the ending doesn't make watching the film worthless. The film is far more than the ending. Although I don't find it particularly scary, but horror is subjective, more so than comedy even.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Only two movies ever had me shook
Exorcist
Resident Evil

Exorcist because of the devil. I used to be really religious and was so afraid of the devil that even thinking about it made me shit my pants

Now? I don't give a fuck about the devil, come at me bro.

Resident Evil was just too spooky once the licker shows up.

CarpeDeezNutz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
They sure as shit were scary back then, when all your descriptions of them were from your friends and not the internet. I'm not much of movie person but aren't there memes and parodies of them all? That takes out some of the steam too.

JetSetSoul

Oct 28, 2017
I play movies regularly on 1.5x speed, when the action or "important" scenes come on, I lower it to regular speed. Then switch back up. I mean seeing extra seconds of a character walking down a hallway or walking through the streets isn't going to make much difference, and I save my free time this way.
Horror relies completely on deliberate pacing. I can't imagine being scared either if I'm in such a rush to get through the movies.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Horror specifically is all about the slower moments though, they build up the tension. Good horror is all about the pacing. Fast forwarding through those ruins that, in which case I can understand why you wouldn't find any of them scary.

Also, what's up with the 'save my free time' stuff? If you value your free time that much and clearly don't consider movies to be a good use of that time, why do you watch them?

Nov 1, 2017

So you completely fuck up the intended pacing and rhythm of an entire movie and then complain that it doesn't set the right mood?
tenor.gif

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
This is the scariest thing in this thread.

It's like you lack all self awareness of what film techniques actually lead to suspense, atmosphere, and...horror... In a horror thread of all places.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers

The reason you're getting such incredulous responses is that in a horror movie, arguably the genre where pacing matters the most, you're killing the pacing. Those extra seconds are in there for a reason, and you're getting a worse experience to finish the movie 10-20 minutes earlier.

^ Beaten while I was typing my response, but I think it needs to be restated ad nauseam.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
I saw The Ring when I was high school back in '09, and the scariest part of that movie when we found a spider and we couldn't kill it.

The movie itself was hilarious.