napkins

Nov 18, 2017
xi6p4fdeqak41.png

with avatar 2 coming out, i thought i'd share my appreciation of the isv venture star. it's one of the most realistically designed interstellar spacecrafts in cinema
The photon sail is used for the outward acceleration phase to Pandora from Earth in the form of beamed photons from a solid state molecular laser from Earth. The ship's matter-antimatter engines are used for the deceleration phase on approach to Pandora, and the ship then coasts the last few million kilometers. The sequence is reversed for return to Earth. When close enough to Pandora or Earth, the Planetary Maneuvering Engine is used to maneuver into a low delta-v orbit, from which it can launch Valkyrie shuttle craft to the surface.

when i first saw it, i don't think i much cared for it. but overtime it really grew on me
i thought i should also include a video saying how completely unfeasible/impossible the design actually is

anyway, thoughts?

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, they called it the VentureStar? That was the name of an actual proposal for a single-stage-to-orbit craft to replace the Space Shuttle.

T8ZQ57G.jpg

tsmoreau

Oct 27, 2017
Spacedock did a vid awhile back on what makes it such a well thought through, relatively realistic design, actually

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, its probably the only realistic interstellar craft in a film. Personally can't stand Avatar otherwise, but the Venture Star itself is a lovely bit of design.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Serious question - wouldn't it be a massive liability to have your only means of interstellar travel suspended out on a long thin pole? I understand how photon sails work, I just don't understand how the first encounter with a rogue asteroid field doesn't instantly dash your means of travel to pieces.

Bluebot

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Serious question - wouldn't it be a massive liability to have your only means of interstellar travel suspended out on a long thin pole? I understand how photon sails work, I just don't understand how the first encounter with a rogue asteroid field doesn't instantly dash your means of travel to pieces.
Real asteroid fields are enormous. They're not shooting galleries like in the movies. Not impossible to navigate in real life.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Real asteroid fields are enormous. They're not shooting galleries like in the movies. Not impossible to navigate in real life.
Well, then what about micrometeoroids? I guess we're just assuming that a ship as advanced as the one in Avatar is using super advanced and nigh indestructible materials since it's the future.

OP
OP
napkins

napkins

Nov 18, 2017
Well, then what about micrometeoroids? I guess we're just assuming that a ship as advanced as the one in Avatar is using super advanced and nigh indestructible materials since it's the future.
there is a large, multi-layered shield for that purpose. i think it separates into 4 or so layers spaced apart in front of the craft