• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

I honestly have a hard time looking at the MCU now that I've seen this.

Everything about this movie from the set design to the camera placement is perfect. It's a visual masterpiece.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
latest

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Do we really need to turn every praise for a DC movie into some fandom war thing?
I say this as someone who liked The Batman more than most MCU movies, this just seems silly.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
MCU really could have better cinematography, it's their biggest flaw imo

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
it definitely looked great. the only one of these things using 'The Volume' aside from some of the Mandalorian that really stood out. they're using it in Thor Love and Thunder for instance and that movie kind of looks like ass tbh. same with the other disney+ shows using it.

Greig Fraser is doing some great work lately between Dune and this. hope he's back for the sequel. production design on this movie was so good too.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I still love the MCU but yeah, even its most visually appealing films fall well short of The Batman.

The Batman just looks tremendously gorgeous, and despite very heavy use of dramatic art-decor in many scenes, it's convincingly lived-in.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Do we really need to turn every praise for a DC movie into some fandom war thing?
I say this as someone who liked The Batman more than most MCU movies, this just seems silly.

that's really all these franchises have turned into. another console war. at least just in the comic book world everyone mutually agrees now after decades of infighting that all comics actually suck and there's like 10 every year that stand above the rest everyone can mutually agree on and both companies suck in their own way from a production standpoint.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
I swear we got this thread weeks ago lol but The Batman does look amazing. Only saw it once but there were some amazing shots and it looked great.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The Batman definitely looked nice, but my god I was so bored by the end of it. I've never sat through a movie that felt 45 minutes too long before.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
MCU has it's moment; usually in the more cosmic fare like Ragnorok and Guardians.

I think the big win with The Batman is how they made sure Gotham was its own character involved in the plot and environment.

The worlds/places we visit in the MCU design wise are window dressing for character interaction and set pieces; imagine if Wakanda was treated with the same care.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I agree, it's amazing what happens when you let a director actually have a vision for their film. Even something like Aquaman was more visually interesting than literally any MCU movie (except for the new Strange, where Raimi was able to sneak a bit of his style in through the backdoor somehow)

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
MCU has it's moment; usually in the more cosmic fare like Ragnorok and Guardians.

I think the big win with The Batman is how they made sure Gotham was its own character involved in the plot and environment.

The worlds/places we visit in the MCU design wise are window dressing for character interaction and set pieces; imagine if Wakanda was treated with the same care.
Wakanda is supposed to be in Africa right?

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The Batman was gorgeous but I still find Man of Steel to be the most visually impressive DC movie so far. That Krypton opening was damn good.

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
Part of enjoying the MCU is acknowledging it has peaked in quality

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Winter Soldier, Civil War, Infinity War, Endgame, both GotG films, and Thor Ragnarok all have some beautiful shots.

The rest I mostly agree with you.

Alternade

Oct 27, 2017
This looks no better than the Nolan films? MCU has its flaws but lets not act like the cinematography has been abysmal

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
Agreed though I think Batman kinda just lends itself to that. That's not to take away from The Batman's sublime cinematography but the Batman aesthetic is generally just awesome, what with all the inky shadows and striking Gotham architecture.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Great looking movie but I didn't really care for it.

Appreciated the detective angle attempted but I didn't think they quite got there with it.

I dunno. Steps in the right direction for sure. Just didn't land for me.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
To be fair to the MCU. They have done a fair job of making a bunch of multi coloured action toys look relatively consistant and believable in a 'real world' setting.

The Batman will always have an advantage in being (god willing) stand alone.

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
OP, didn't you make a thread very similar to this a month ago? Something about MCU's visuals being mediocre?

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
It's not "amazing". Countless films look better than MCU films, visually speaking. Even small-budget films!

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Do you think Marvel movies have great cinematography?

I think they literally can't because directors can't do any visuals they want

I'm not on any side of this, but it just seems like "Marvel does x better than DC! and "DC is way better at x than Marvel!" threads are at least a weekly occurrence.

Both of these studios are going to be fine, you don't need to stick up for them.