• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I booted up Gamepass the other day all ready to download scarlet nexus, I haven't been keeping up with the news that Bandai Namco shut down those rumors a month ago…..I just assumed it would be there.

Low and behold it wasn't……yet I couldn't pull the trigger to actually buy the game. It's not the type of game I would normally play but was interested, but not interested to pay full price for a game. Gamepass had me so accustomed to risk free gaming.

that's when I realized a trend…..I found myself in the Microsoft store and there was quite a few games I didn't even know existed because if it's not in Gamepass it's not on my radar. Yet I couldn't bring myself to buy them either because I just assumed one day they will end up in Gamepass.

I don't expect to go back into the Microsoft store to purchase a game until Battlefield releases, otherwise my gaming on Xbox is dictated by whether or not a game is on the service.

Was this frame of mind I adopted the intentional result of Gamepass? I have streaming services but haven't purchased a movie in over 10 years? Is this just my personality?

anyone experience something similar?

I think that means that ultimately, you weren't THAT interested in the game.

And that's fine.

OP
OP
TheGhost

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Scarlet Nexus is SO worth it in IMO. Don't let that deter you from purchasing.
If I didn't buy ratchet and clank the other day I may have gotten to the pick payment option screen at least but still would have chickened out. One of the other benefits of Gamepass is if I don't like a game after an hour i can delete it and not be out money. I need to try before I buy. Don't have to do that with Ratchet and Clank, Battlefield, COD though because I've been playing them for decades

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is intended and quite frankly I love it. There is zero reason in the digital era that we should be buying discreet games. Gamepass is the future.

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unintended?

No, this is the entire point of gamepass from Microsoft's perspective, they want to devalue content to the point where Sony and Nintendo's primary game delivery method is untenable. They can loss lead in a way the competition can't necessarily match
Lol they aren't looking at it in console warrior lenses

their intent is to provide a service to give them as much recurring residual income as possible.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
You should never blindly pay money for something you're not sure on no matter the hype. It's way it seems I made the correct decision is not purchasing Returnal.

I'd agree with that.

Though I'd also say that if the only way you were planning on playing this game is if it was already offered in a service you're already paying for, you just weren't that interested.

And, again, that's fine. There's nothing wrong with that mentality.

Lol they aren't looking at it in console warrior lenses

their intent is to provide a service to give them as much recurring residual income as possible.

Well...

It's both.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
I don't really get this thread. The OP says they are would not buy the game but would be willing to try it if it was on GP (basically "free" if you already pay for GP). And when they discovered the game they don't want to buy isn't on Game Pass they…. decided not to buy it. And that's somehow some GP success story.

I mean, what if you do want to buy a game and it's not on Game Pass? Like, I wanted to buy ME LE, it wasn't on GP so I opened Xbox Store and bought it. Because I wanted to play it. If the game I want to play IS on GP, then sure, I won't buy it, I'll just download from GP. Unfortunatelly, 90% of the games I want to play are not on Game Pass.

For me, GP is a service for games I wouldn't otherwise buy - games I'm slightly curious about. There are a few exceptions, like Halo Infinite which I would buy if it wasn't coming to GP. But if I only played GP games, I would miss out on some fantastic gaming experiences.

theSoularian

Oct 25, 2017
I've been using Gamepass to try some games (that interests me) before I buy them. Some were games on my Steam wish list. I don't think I'll be subscribe to GP forever.

MrBenchmark

Dec 8, 2017
It's you OP. Game pass is no different than blockbuster Netflix GameFly we have rented games for forever. And if you want a game to keep you buy it.

TiagoCosta

User requested ban
Banned
Aug 3, 2018
I would play very little with that mindset, most games I play never hit game pass. Game pass is great, but is far from getting even close to everything, Jp games wise (which is what I play).
The ones that do, end up leaving the service so I rather buy them anyway.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
Considering the game isn't on gamepass but you want to try it, the next step would just be to download the demo, which is right on the store and give it a shot. And then from there make the decision if you want to buy it right away, on sale in a few months or just ignore until it shows up on gamepass or psnow possibly in the future. That's a completely normal purchasing decision.

I played the demo, decided it was really fun, didn't want to wait and then bought it physically because I like physical games and finish them instead of sit with them on a hard drive pretending I'll "get to my backlog" in the future.

I also use gamepass as a way to play AAA games though. A lot of the bigger titles have ended up there and I just...don't need to buy them at all. Microsoft, Bethesda, EA, Ubisoft, Activision, their stuff is either day one now or it's put up there within a year and I'm fine waiting for them to be patched up and content complete. Meanwhile, there are tons of indie games and smaller Japanese titles that don't go to gamepass that deserve direct purchases that also maybe have smaller print runs so I prioritize buying them early.

RulkezX

Oct 27, 2017
It's not a game id buy full price day one but I'd probably it with a heavy discount.

Now I'll probably just wait until it's on GP

JFoul

Oct 25, 2017
If a game isn't on GP I just buy it if I don't think it'll be on the service soon.

MS usually has a rewards bonus for new game purchases anyways or it'll be on sale soon after.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
No.
You just weren't interested in it enough to purchase the title at launch while you were interested enough to try it out on GamePass. There's no consequence of this, you just are managing a purchasing decision.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
That's only if you want to keep the game though, if you just want to play it once and be done with it then why would you buy it?

It isn't but what Gamepass did was increase the expectation of bigger games going on the service day one.

It should be remembered that these bigger games, excepting first party, will leave GP too. Live/Plus games are yours to keep as long as you have a sub.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Game Pass is one of those things that lets you play games you wouldn't normally buy and save money on games you normally would. For example...

On one hand, I saw the reveal trailer for A Plague Tale 2 and was interested enough to want to play the first one. I had never bought it because it hadn't seemed to be my kind of jam when it came out, so it being included in Game Pass meant I could try it without dropping £20 to do so.

On the other hand, I had intended to buy Back4Blood from the first day it was announced. Buying a next gen Left4Dead game is a no brainer because I loved the other two. So when Microsoft later announced that the game was coming to Game Pass, as far as I am concerned, they just saved me £60 which can instead go on another game that also comes out in the September-October-November window (and there's a lot).

OP
OP
TheGhost

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I don't really get this thread. The OP says they are would not buy the game but would be willing to try it if it was on GP (basically "free" if you already pay for GP). And when they discovered the game they don't want to buy isn't on Game Pass they…. decided not to buy it. And that's somehow some GP success story.

I mean, what if you do want to buy a game and it's not on Game Pass? Like, I wanted to buy ME LE, it wasn't on GP so I opened Xbox Store and bought it. Because I wanted to play it. If the game I want to play IS on GP, then sure, I won't buy it, I'll just download from GP. Unfortunatelly, 90% of the games I want to play are not on Game Pass.

For me, GP is a service for games I wouldn't otherwise buy - games I'm slightly curious about. There are a few exceptions, like Halo Infinite which I would buy if it wasn't coming to GP. But if I only played GP games, I would miss out on some fantastic gaming experiences.
Because that shit will end up on Gamepass like every other EA game and mass effect title. So in that example I would not buy it to be part of the hype circle.

I think you're are over analyzing the the first post in this thread.

you can have interest in something to play, but that doesn't mean I'll take a gamble on it in case it's shit after an hour.
I'm use to risk free gaming and the topic of the discussion was this the intention all along……to stay in the Gamepass bubble and not venture out of it.

ioriyagami

Oct 28, 2017
Not unintended at all. This is GamePass's ultimate goal. To "trap" you into that ecosystem, which eventually would force even the biggest publishers to consider putting their games there or face getting no money from GamePass subscribers, which in turn makes GamePass an even better deal and undermines the value of the competition's offers

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018
You should never blindly pay money for something you're not sure on no matter the hype. It's way it seems I made the correct decision is not purchasing Returnal.

I agree, that's why I wish more games had demos (like Scarlet Nexus does, for example). But also, with all the YT playthroughs and reviews, you're not really buying things blind. But yeah, trying before buying is always good.

Waiting on games you ARE interested, though, to appear on Game Pass means you'll potentially be skipping a lot of games you're interested in. And, long term, the format of smaller games might adapt to this expectation. While I like and appreciate GP, I wouldn't like to have a gaming scene where most people think like you do in this thread, because I think some of my favorite games would stop being made in that scenario.

XVerdena

Oct 28, 2017
Bought both subnautica below zero and re8 when I'm sure both will come to gamepass eventually. If a game isn't on the service and I truly want to play it(not fomo) I'll buy it. Simple as that. A game I'm interested in being on gamepass day one is just a bonus.

The only thing gamepass has changed is that it allows me to try and play other games that I likely would have never touched otherwise. It provides a ton of content to keep you busy between assured purchases where as ps5 for example just collects dust until the next sony exclusive.

KeyboardThug

Oct 27, 2017
I buy multiplayer games I want to play with friend's and I bought Nier because I loved the first one but other than that it's been all gamepass. Still working my way through Yakuza series.

Aug 9, 2018
For me the notion that someone would buy a game that is on Gamepass after trying it would be rare. That would mean the person was not that interested in the game, loved it after trying it and then loved it so much that even after finishing it wanted to keep it on his collection for future replays

It should be remembered that these bigger games, excepting first party, will leave GP too. Live/Plus games are yours to keep as long as you have a sub.
Yes, but It shouldn't matter if it was leaving the service unless the duration it stays there is so short that you wouldn't be able to complete the game on time or as I said you loved the game so much that you would want to keep it in your collection for future replays.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure it's intended, but I'm never going to wait for a game to appear on Plus just on the hope it "might" be there one day. If I want to play it I will buy it.

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018
I'm use to risk free gaming and the topic of the discussion was this the intention all along……to stay in the Gamepass bubble and not venture out of it.

Well, if you can stay in the Game Pass bubble, by all means do so - you will save quite a bit of money and it will be risk-free. But I (and, I assume, a lot of people) can't - because GP doesn't offer major AAA blockbusters I want to play (with the exception of MS first-party games, ofc)

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I dunno honestly, I feel like it's the opposite for me these days. Scarlett Nexus is actually a game that kind of interested me and in the days before Game Pass I probably wouldn't have bought it any time soon and probably ask for it for Christmas/birthday in December or bought it on a sale, instead saving my money for Halo Infinite and COD 2021. I mean I'm still not buying it day one because I'm currently busy and I've got some other games to go through currently, but I definitely intend on picking it up in a month or two. I bought NieR Replicant remaster as well on day one, despite already owning the original just because I wanted to play it and I felt with Game Pass I was saving money, even when I normally would have just waited for a sale.

I don't know if it's an unintended consequence or not, but it is definitely something interesting that will eventually work in the favor of Microsoft, even if not currently.

Though this isn't just Game Pass related, I know anime games tend to better on PlayStation regardless. It's tough because on one hand you want to buy games to see more stuff like this on the platform. But on the other hand, what if a Game Pass drop is imminent.

I'd be really curious to see the overall sales split, rather than the UK physical sales split honestly. Isn't the UK very much pro-Playstation in terms of sales in general? Like I know Xbox has an actual presence there but I always thought Playstation sold a lot more consoles than Xbox out there compared to somewhere like the US where it's more equal

Either way though, I agree that the split is definitely pretty normal for a game of that type between Xbox/PS

Also I have a feeling more Japanese games will be coming to Xbox; the new SDK allows for easy development of both a Windows and a PC version, which will make porting to Xbox from PC super easy for developers assuming that they actually take advantage of it.

Why would anybody limit his choice that drastically?
I have no fucking clue honestly, and I've been a Game Pass sub for a couple of years now. But I guess some people are just content only playing games on Game Pass.

A lot of my gaming in the past few years has been through Game Pass games, so I can kind of see where people are coming from

Garrison

Oct 27, 2017
No.
You just weren't interested in it enough to purchase the title at launch while you were interested enough to try it out on GamePass. There's no consequence of this, you just are managing a purchasing decision.
Pretty much, I was not intending on purchasing the Messenger. Loved my time with it and it's out of gamepass. I need to purchase the game now, I would like to have it and didn't finish it all completely. Without gamepass it probably would not have been on my radar at all since I have a few games like it already. One thing that I regret was not getting it "while" it was on gamepass for the discount actually.

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
If it's intended, then I'm getting mixed messages from Microsoft. What pushed me over the edge when I was undecided to buy Scarlet Nexus was the Xbox Rewards app offering 6,000 points if I picked it up.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
I just can't justify paying 60 bucks for a game anymore. I have SO many I haven't played so now I'm either waiting for the sale or waiting for gamepass.

EmmaDansTonU

Nov 27, 2020
I booted up Gamepass the other day all ready to download scarlet nexus, I haven't been keeping up with the news that Bandai Namco shut down those rumors a month ago…..I just assumed it would be there.

Low and behold it wasn't……yet I couldn't pull the trigger to actually buy the game. It's not the type of game I would normally play but was interested, but not interested to pay full price for a game. Gamepass had me so accustomed to risk free gaming.

that's when I realized a trend…..I found myself in the Microsoft store and there was quite a few games I didn't even know existed because if it's not in Gamepass it's not on my radar. Yet I couldn't bring myself to buy them either because I just assumed one day they will end up in Gamepass.

I don't expect to go back into the Microsoft store to purchase a game until Battlefield releases, otherwise my gaming on Xbox is dictated by whether or not a game is on the service.

Was this frame of mind I adopted the intentional result of Gamepass? I have streaming services but haven't purchased a movie in over 10 years? Is this just my personality?

anyone experience something similar?
For me it starter with games with gold and psn +
I had so much « free »games i just stoped buying games for my Xbox one and my ps4.
Thoses are the consoles i bought the less games ever.

yes i bought more games for my neo geo, my 3DO, my Saturn or my WiiU

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Not unintended at all. This is GamePass's ultimate goal. To "trap" you into that ecosystem, which eventually would force even the biggest publishers to consider putting their games there or face getting no money from GamePass subscribers, which in turn makes GamePass an even better deal and undermines the value of the competition's offers
Yup.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
I don't buy any games on my XSX. If there's a game I want to own/or need longer time to beat, I'll get it on PS5.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Game Pass is great value if you don't care about owning games but if I'm really interested in a game, I'll buy it. I like owning my games anyway, so a monthly sub to rent games doesn't really interest me.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah this is why even tho I'd rather play Mass Effect Le in PS5, I can't commit coz it WILL be in game pass 6-12 months.

I think it's not a huge problem now, but if we have like 100M+ ppl playing via cloud on game pass who don't own actual hardware and they see $60-$70 streaming copies of games that will never (or not for years) go in game pass, then it could be a problem for the industry a la how people don't want to pay for movies or music as much

ioriyagami

Oct 28, 2017
Bought both subnautica below zero and re8 when I'm sure both will come to gamepass eventually. If a game isn't on the service and I truly want to play it(not fomo) I'll buy it. Simple as that. A game I'm interested in being on gamepass day one is just a bonus.

The only thing gamepass has changed is that it allows me to try and play other games that I likely would have never touched otherwise. It provides a ton of content to keep you busy between assured purchases where as ps5 for example just collects dust until the next sony exclusive.

I get this reasoning, but hasn't worked that way for me at all. For the last seven months there's always been some non-game pass game that I wanted to play more than any game in the subscription. Since my XSS is a GamePass machine the result is that the one collecting dust has been my XSS, and my GP subscription money feels a bit wasted...

OP
OP
TheGhost

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
For me it starter with games with gold and psn +
I had so much « free »games i just stoped buying games for my Xbox one and my ps4.
Thoses are the consoles i bought the less games ever.

yes i bought more games for my neo geo, my 3DO, my Saturn or my WiiU
Yeah it definitely started with that. There would be months were my gaming was covered by those two services alone.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
For me the notion that someone would buy a game that is on Gamepass after trying it would be rare. That would mean the person was not that interested in the game, loved it after trying it and then loved it so much that even after finishing it wanted to keep it on his collection for future replays

Yes, but It shouldn't matter if it was leaving the service unless the duration it stays there is so short that you wouldn't be able to complete the game on time or as I said you loved the game so much that you would want to keep it in your collection for future replays.

Yeah, that's exactly what I mean. A short single player game is suited here, but a GAAS, multiplayer, or a longer single player wouldn't.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Reminds me of movie goers when Netflix started to become more popular.

Only going out to watch the major blockbusters at the cinemas, anything else was deemed only worth watching when it comes out on a streaming service.

Ataturk

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 25, 2021
Most of games offer nothing new. They are same carbon copy of one succesfull game with different mixes.
So I just buy "new experiences". I really couldnt give a shit 20 carbon copy of BoTW or Skyrim or GTA. I just play originals and move on.

Good4Squat

Nov 2, 2017
I still like owning games so I can return to them any time I want. But that is just my way of doing things. I can see why gamepass is great if you just wanna play stuff and move on.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Well, I guess it's expected for it to happen... I hope people aren't surprised when most games (beyond the heavy hitters) start only being ported to Xbox if they receive a check from Microsoft to be on Gamepass. I've been seeing thing kind of mindset a lot lately and it's definitely showing whenever we see sales splits between platforms.

OP
OP
TheGhost

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Yeah this is why even tho I'd rather play Mass Effect Le in PS5, I can't commit coz it WILL be in game pass 6-12 months.

I think it's not a huge problem now, but if we have like 100M+ ppl playing via cloud on game pass who don't own actual hardware and they see $60-$70 streaming copies of games that will never (or not for years) go in game pass, then it could be a problem for the industry a la how people don't want to pay for movies or music as much
Yeah like i haven't purchased music in what? How long has Spotify been around? Probably a decade before that as well because everything was on mp3 and the things i listened to (mixtapes) were never sold in store.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Some of have been saying for awhile...its the gift and the curse of Game Pass.

I dont really care, I bought Crackdown 3 before I got Game Pass, knowing full well I was gonna get Game Pass.

But...now that I have Game Pass....I cant remember the last thing I bought for Xbox. The last thing I bought wasnt on Game Pass. I dont plan on buying any games that are gonna be on there forever.

Neo Ankh

Oct 12, 2019
Definitely intended. Gamepass is all I need. I don't have the time to play more games if I wanted to and it works out great for my wallet. The only exception is Ubisoft games for me so I wish they would come to gamepass. The only games I might have to buy this year are Far Cry 6 and Riders Republic whenever I can get them cheap around the holidays.