Raccoon

May 31, 2019
fun fact, we're further from half life 1 than half life 1 was from space invaders on the atari 2600

Toilet Duck

Alt account
Banned
Jun 30, 2019
Is this a joke post?

Half-Life 1 is amazing, and I'll forever have fond memories of it.
But Half-Life 2 is revolutionary. The game-play and physics engine is still better than most modern shooters.

psilocybe

Oct 27, 2017
I was LTTP with Half-Life 1.

Very early in the game there was a mild platforming session. I felt I was moving so fast I kept slipping off the edge. That was my playthrough. =/
Never get past that.

Now, Half-Life 2 I enjoyed quite a lot.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I was LTTP with Half-Life 1.

Very early in the game there was a mild platforming session. I felt I was moving so fast I kept slipping off the edge. That was my playthrough. =/
Never get past that.

Now, Half-Life 2 I enjoyed quite a lot.
Ya, Half-Life has weird jumping mechanics like that. You have to hold crouch while jumping to platform properly.

Afro

Oct 25, 2017
HL2 was amazing in its day, but HL2: Episode 2 is the only section of the game that still holds up somewhat in 2019 funwise. Imo.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I played the first game to completion for the first time a few months back and thought it was a slog by comparison. I like 2 so much I've actually been replaying the choppy original Xbox port just because it's kind of a marvel.

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
Half-Life 2 has too many so-so segments spread throughout, particularly the vehicle sections. Half-Life 1 is more consistent, except for Xen.

Oct 25, 2017
They're both great, but yeah there's a lot that Half-Life 1 did that even at the time* I was quite disappointed I couldn't feel coming through in Half-Life 2.

* Whilst still reeling from picking up a soda can and dropping it in the trash, haha

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Half-Life one was a revolution. HL2 a continuity. In the end, i didnt bother finishing HL2 multiple time like i did with HL, and multiplayer of HL1 was just more fun.

10 time better? Na. Id say 3 time better, but it doesnt make HL2 bad, not just as great as original.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
HL1 is a pretty amazing game, I don't agree with HL2 being average in comparison but 1 is definitely the stronger experience. Even playing it today via Black Mesa you can appreciate the great level design and how it slowly unravels it's mystery using in-world methods.

Probably the most influential FPS for single player campaigns ever also.

FRS1987

Oct 31, 2017
New Jersey
I would sooner replay half life over half life 2. Enemy encounters (even in the highest difficulty) just isn't fun in 2 and i feel like it's miles better in the first game

Oct 27, 2017
Half-life 2 has better artstyle and (most importantly) unrivaled sound design. Other than that I enjoyed the tight expierence of 1 more.

The Reloader

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed. HL2 isn't one of the best games of all time, it isn't even the best FPS of 2004. That award goes to Far Cry.

Kubricks

Oct 31, 2017
It's a 100 times better.
The pacing, the atmosphere, the sense of mystery, the impact of the weapon all felt so much better in HL1. The only problem is Xen levels.

I remember playing HL2 at launch and hated it.... what is up with those shitty pew pew pew handgun and sub-machine guns? On an FPS no less?
I even rated HL1 expensions over HL2.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
HL1 is definitely masterclass, but I still think in 2004 that HL2 was fucking excellent. HL2 aged far far worse than HL1.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
I built my first really great pc for Half Life 2...and didn't enjoy it one bit.

Never really cared for Half Life 1 either but I love older CS so that one wins on that.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I don't want to go on another lengthy rant. Just wanted to chime in and say I think they're both masterpieces that have aged like fine wine. I adore Half-Life, but I honestly think Half-Life 2 + Episode 1 + Episode 2 is some of the finest gaming ever that still provides some of the most world class shooter pacing and presentation in the medium.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
I finally played HL2 last year and, yeah I agree OP. I liked 1's art, gunplay, movement, narrative, and level design much more. I thought the gravity gun was tedious to use, and that's something so many raved about. I enjoyed the watercraft section, but that's about it.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Was it ever explained how a theoretical physicist going about doing daily scientist things suddenly became a Gear of War dudebro taking down reams of aliens, the army, black ops and ninjas all by himself? Late 90's was a weird time.

Let's also not forget the expansion featuring Barney the rent a cop security guard doing the same.

OP
OP
Phil me in

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
Never played blueshaft, but opposing forces was one of the best FPS expansions of all time too.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The fact that people bring up and downplay hl 2 when praising hl 1 says it all.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Played both when they came out. I was 14 and ... 19?

Played them both again, back to back, about 3 years ago:

• HL 1 = 95/100
  • HL 2 = 78/100
Half Life 1 felt much more revolutionary, and you actually felt in there, in the chaos, trying to figure things out. It is STILL fun to play, with good movement speed, and gun-firing-hitting-enemies feedback.

Half Life 2 was great but felt incomplete, the vehicle sections were not needed, focused too much in the physics instead of the environment storytelling of 1, and the guns felt "meh".

The gravity super powered gun at the end was great though.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Half-Life 1 has a couple dull environmental puzzles, whereas I've found those immensely more satisfying in HL2. Both have parts that in 2019 are a bit boring to be honest. To me, Half-Life 2 was more of a groundbreaking and memorable experience, plus the last part of HL2 doesn't suck so there's that.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Played Half Life back in 2002 on the PS2 and I thought it sucked. Played The Orange Box a few years after release and found it ok but nothing mindblowing. Both games are extremely overrated.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
HL1 is good the whole way through while 2 has some seriously slow parts
Id say 2 has both higher highs and much lower lows

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
HL2 had physics and a woman that wasn't just boobs but looked and spoke like a real person. great back then, but nothing special nowadays and the weaknesses of the game become more obvious.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
Played both when they came out. I was 14 and ... 19?

Played them both again, back to back, about 3 years ago:

• HL 1 = 95/100
  • HL 2 = 78/100
Half Life 1 felt much more revolutionary, and you actually felt in there, in the chaos, trying to figure things out. It is STILL fun to play, with good movement speed, and gun-firing-hitting-enemies feedback.

Half Life 2 was great but felt incomplete, the vehicle sections were not needed, focused too much in the physics instead of the environment storytelling of 1, and the guns felt "meh".

The gravity super powered gun at the end was great though.

I dunno if I can appropriately argue the important of the vehicle segments in HL2, but man, Half-Life 2 has more environmental storytelling in a single chapter than HL1 has in any 3. Don't let the fact that it also has more explicit storytelling make you think otherwise.

L4DANathan

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Fairfax, VA, USA
Gotta agree with you OP. I enjoyed 2 a lot more when I first played it, but it has fallen the more I replay it while I end up enjoying HL1 more every time I replay it. HL2 just slows to a crawl a lot of the time, gameplay-wise.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Edit can a mod correct the title please.

Half life 1 is a masterpiece in gaming, level design, story conveyance and enemy encounter, even if xen sucked.

Half life 2 isn't. The gravity gun and that robot might be cool and fun but I feel like the game holds your hand on safe rollercoaster, going down a call of duty corridor, while being spoon fed stuff about the combine.

Story

Hl1 while minimalist it's superb. You're thrown in thinking wtf is going on and you think everything is your fault, although if you search before the cascade you can see aliens. You piece together what's going on, what to do and needs to be done. Although I can't remember why you had to launch that rocket mid game. It's mysterious but gives you enough easy pieces to put together. Not to mention part of the story is just to survive and escape.

Hl2 story sucks. Typical alien invasion, save the world crap. No real explanation why g man brings you back other than it's time lol. Most of the story is just thrown at you by nps, while they tell you what to do next. The end of the games Clift hanger sucked, can't remember episode 1, but episode 2 seemed better.

Enemy variety

Hl1 has many different aliens including those face lurkers that legit shit you up the first time you play it.
Marines and black ops.
Hl2 mainly alien foot soldiers and the odd bullet sponge mechs.
Giant tentacle thing you have to solve like a puzzle.

Level design

Hl1 while a linear game would make you think it isn't the first time you played it, especially in the late 90s. Many areas are open with different paths leading to stuff, the game wants you to explore and rewards you fairly. This openness, especially in areas with encounters is great. Sometimes you would be left thinking where to go next and watch to check without being overbearing.

Hl2 level design isn't on the same level. I legit feel like I'm walking down one huge corridor and encounters with the enemy foot soldiers who all have guns reflect the level design too. Tbf there are some areas that are fun and have good encounters but they're usually those scripted defend areas ie mini horde sections.

Weapons
Hl1 most guns feel great and add to the survival horror near the start when you're using your crowbar and pistol. The shotgun is one of the best shotguns in gaming and is super useful. The marine is machine gun is fantastic as well.

Hl2
That sub machine is utter shite in this and the shotgun is nowhere near as useful since you're fighting soldiers majority of the time. The heavy machine gun bouncy ball thing is good though. Gravity gun is overrated imo.

When I played hl2 on release I just felt something was missing and didn't get the urge to surge on I got form hl1. Hl1 got better and better as you went along bar xen which isn't a big part.

I'm sure there's more, but that's it for now.

Great post! The first Half Life is still up there amongst my top 5 gaming experiences of all time. I had just moved from console to PC gamer back when Half Life released and there's been very few gaming experiences that jarring and immersive as what I felt at the time.

Half Life 2 was a technical marvel when it came out but I actually believe if both were remade to tune gameplay and visuals but left everything else the same, Half Life holds up better. In hindsight Half Life 2 is a corridor shooter which had a neat gimmick for its time.