Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Only a spine change this time around with a green square added to the rightmost box below. I guess they were trying to get the Xbox logo placement to line up with the Xbox One and first wave of Series X games? If so they're still off by a bit, guess they should scrap it and try again next year!

bm2WMjW.png

late 2020 redesign -> late 2021 redesign -> late 2022 redesign​

Such a weird thing to see keep getting changed, who is out there asking for this?

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
That would slightly annoy me, but it's nothing like the PS1 days going from those cardboard atrocities to jewel cases! Switch has had some mildly annoying things like this when it comes to fonts, etc.

This thread also reminds me that I have bought just 1 physical Xbox game in the past several years (Cyberpunk 2077), and that had a slipcover. LOL

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
At this point I feel like being an Xbox fan/owner who enjoys physical games would be torturous.

Like seriously, that'd be borderline "switch to Playstation as main platform" for me if I liked owning all my games on disk

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox loves their case redesigns. Go back and look at 360 cases over the years, those things seemed to change every year or so.

I'd be ok with a redesign for dedicated Series X games to differentiate between them and Xbox One cases, but changes during a console life just feel goofy to me. Not the end of the world, but it does make for an ugly shelf.

moeman

Oct 25, 2017
Wake me up when they get rid of the ugly white stripe with the console names on the front.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
By the end of this generation I'm sure they'll get it correct.

Right in time to change it again for next gen.

RPG

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Oof. Things like this get me just like the differences in spine logos between regions for Switch games.

Joshua

Oct 27, 2017
This is deliberate to get people to abandon physical and move to digital + Game Pass, right?

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
Solid strategy to push digital. I haven't bought a physical game in more than 5 years, but since when did the insert change from being the length of the case? Insanity, I guess paper is also expensive these days.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
what annoys me even more is that ugly gray spine they force everyone to use.

just have a green bar on top with an xbox logo and let people make thier own spines however they want

demi

Oct 27, 2017
It appears for the 3rd time in 2 years, I still have not noticed this cuz boi we play games not shelves

GiveMeCoins

Sep 4, 2022
It's interesting to me. I remember being surprised noting the 360 era spine changes when checking out my shelf every once in awhile

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Xbox boxes this gen have been a mess lol, the launch ones had a series x sticker on them fuck sakes. Just amateur.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Banned
Jun 8, 2019
They clearly don't give a shit about Physical so I guess they don't even care what the fuck they do with these cases.

being a fan of Xbox Games in Physical Media must basically be a life of PAIN

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
Names and game cases has been a disaster since Xbox one.

People are getting paid for these ?
I swear I can find mock ups that looks much better than these.

moeman

Oct 25, 2017
This is deliberate to get people to abandon physical and move to digital + Game Pass, right?

I honestly imagine the physical split for xbox owners is far below the other two companies with gamepass and the dearth of limited editions compared to sony/nintendo. I imagine printing costs eat into MS's costs more than other companies since they don't operate on the same scale.

aronmayo

Jul 29, 2020
I honestly imagine the physical split for xbox owners is far below the other two companies with gamepass and the dearth of limited editions compared to sony/nintendo. I imagine printing costs eat into MS's costs more than other companies since they don't operate on the same scale.
The attach rate for Xbox is MUCH stronger than Nintendo's afaik. To say they operate at a smaller scale when it comes to physical game sales is probably not accurate. Happy to eat my words, though.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
case on the right seems to be the best, looks like it uses less paper.

It's only the "feel of less paper." The newest cover is printed green to apparently emulate the look of the leftmost case which was shorter (so you saw the transparent green more) since the front logo was on the plastic of the case.