TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
With Gravity Falls, Regular Show, Infinity Train, Adventure Time, Gumball,Steven Universe,Tangled Ducktales,She-Ra,Castlevania and even weaker shows such as Star and the Forces of Evil and Voltron: Legendary Defender all ending, it really does feel like we are coming to an end of a golden age in terms of Cartoon Seralised TV Shows especially considering Disney's recent pushback against shows like the Owl House. It is a depressing thought to think about but i hope i am not right and that we may get more of these types of shows in the future but it does feel like this has era in animation is coming to an end. What do you think though? I would like to know your thoughts and opinions on this.

the_best_animated_tv_shows_of_the_2010_s_by_evanh123_dcp60g8-fullview.jpg

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Banned
Jun 8, 2019
while some of these were good, we are way past the Golden Age of serialized cartoons.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Hm I only watched like 4 of those shows lol. (All of Rick and Morty, less than 20 episodes of adventure time and like 10 episodes of gumball/ regular show when I was hospitalized in 2014)

Haven't seen the rest...

Golden age really died for me when we got rid of cable backs in 2008 šŸ˜¬

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
It ebbs and flows, in a decade this same thread can and will be made about another 15-20 shows that will have successful runs during that time.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
Adventure Time is technically coming back-ish with a sequel Fiona and Cake series.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
The only cancellation in the OP that hit me was Final Space. I didn't actually watch Gravity Falls till it was already over so I wasn't really that fussed about it ending, but even that didn't grab me much. Everything else is pretty meh.

Though has to be said, where the fuck is Kipo and the Age of Wonderbeasts in this list? Show was legit.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't it the opposite and most streaming services are scrambling to get even more animated content for both kids and adults?

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
There have been good shows for well over 25 years. They come, they go, they are replaced by other good shows. If there is anything that needs to change it's the fact that we need more confidence given to creators.

The only thing that has changed is that people get older and they get stuck on their era of things. Cartoons will be fine.

OP it's more like your golden age is ending :(

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe I should watch more of these. Really dug Gravity Falls and Adventure Time.

GCX

Oct 27, 2017
I would've been obsessed with shows like Steven Universe, Adventure Time, etc. as a kid.

OP
OP
TheGamingNewsGuy

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
There have been good shows for well over 25 years. They come, they go, they are replaced by other good shows. If there is anything that needs to change it's the fact that we need more confidence given to creators.

The only thing that has changed is that people get older and they get stuck on their era of things. Cartoons will be fine.

I grew up on Jimmy Neturon,Fairy Odd Parents,Avatar. I would classify that as my golden age but i generally do think in the last few years there has been a real up-tick ever since Adventure Time

Macarello

Sep 15, 2021
I'm pretty sure what OP is getting at is a lot of the current serialized cartoons are coming to an end either now or very soon, and given Netflix's mass cancellation of projects they had like that in the last month and wanting to focus on shows like Boss Baby (i.e cartoons with no overarching plots or character development, just one-off episodes that can get reruns repeatedly and play for years) it feels like the whole animation industry is about to be hedged into making more shows like it.

I work in the industry and the last couple years have definitely got me concerned for this trend, it feels like nearly all the big streaming players want to pivot to stuff that is easily merchandisable and ripe for continuous streaming from a younger crowd. Not to hate on those, I grew up in the 90's that had a ton of shows like that airing (Dexters Lab, the early days of Spongebob), but its a shame it feels like other types of shows have to be on the chopping block for those to get made.

Damn you Netflix, I just wanted to see Bone finally animated!

OP
OP
TheGamingNewsGuy

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
I'm pretty sure what OP is getting at is a lot of the current serialized cartoons are coming to an end either now or very soon, and given Netflix's mass cancellation of projects they had like that in the last month and wanting to focus on shows like Boss Baby (i.e cartoons with no overarching plots or character development, just one-off episodes that can get reruns repeatedly and play for years) it feels like the whole animation industry is about to be hedged into making more shows like it.

I work in the industry and the last couple years have definitely got me concerned for this trend, it feels like nearly all the big streaming players want to pivot to stuff that is easily merchandisable and ripe for continuous streaming from a younger crowd. Not to hate on those, I grew up in the 90's that had a ton of shows like that airing (Dexters Lab, the early days of Spongebob), but its a shame it feels like other types of shows have to be on the chopping block for those to get made.

Damn you Netflix, I just wanted to see Bone finally animated!
Yeah pretty much, i am worried we are going to go back to one-off fluff series again.

fromotogi

Banned
Apr 30, 2022
Hope the people here worshipping the 90s are talking about S1 SpongeBob and not Mega Babies.

And were serialized 90s cartoons that common?
No, Detective Conan doesn't count.

Oct 27, 2017
Hope the people here worshipping the 90s are talking about S1 SpongeBob and not Mega Babies.

i dont even think so
Even shows from the DC animated universe which had more continuity between episodes werent as heavily serialised as today's shows

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Losing Amphibia hurts, but these things come and go- I got into Amphibia to take away the Ducktales pain, and Ducktales helped me through the loss of Steven Universe. I'm sure something else good will be along before too long.

SchuckyDucky

Avenger
Nov 5, 2017

Yeah, I was one of those kids watching all the shows in the 90's and I remember them being much less serialized then today's animated shows.

Deleted member 55524

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 31, 2019
The golden age for me was the 90s since I am an old fart. Not a fan of a lot of these newer shows.
Those shows weren't serialised like the shows OP is referencing.

I love seralised cartoons so much, and I agree that they seem to be on their way out. It makes sense when you consider the rerun thing, but it's sad to see more complicated stories get pushed out for easy-to-digest sitcomy fluff.

Deleted member 55524

Banned
Mar 31, 2019

More like age makes people completely misread OPs. This isn't a thread about OP's personal favorite cartoons ending, it's about a specific type of animated show being phased out of the industry. Which does seem to be true.

I still cant believe a network let Steven Universe be made. You really have to watch every single episode to understand who everyone is or the events they reference. Reruns are fun because the show is just high quality and entertaining, but the dialogue and plots can be tough to follow without prerequisite knowledge. And that's what made it so good!

fromotogi

Banned
Apr 30, 2022
You know what I DON'T Miss about 90s animation?
When almost always the animators working in the outsourced studios are not credited.
It's still a huge problem now, but at least we have more stuff like this visible nowadays compared to before.
E962IxUXsAEMhG8

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everyone thinks their childhood shows are the "golden era" of animation, films, tv shows, serialised, one offs etc etc. For me the nineties and very early 2000s were mine. From your list I think there's maybe three I've actually enjoy.

OP
OP
TheGamingNewsGuy

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Everyone thinks their childhood shows are the "golden era" of animation, films, tv shows, serialised, one offs etc etc. For me the nineties and very early 2000s were mine. From your list I think there's maybe three I've actually enjoy.
I grew up on early to mid 2000s shows and personally i think the quality is the highest its ever been

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
The OP image should have stuff like Venture Bros and Infinity Train, but it's otherwise true and it suuuucks

(Also did Villainous come out already? Guess I need to catch up on it)

mfs on here like we didnt just have amphibia, kid cosmic and owl house, great serialized cartoons will always keep coming

I can't speak for Amphibia but Owl House is kinda getting screwed over by Disney. And while Kid Cosmic did get to finish, it seems doubtful we're getting another show like it with all the recent Netflix news

Hm I only watched like 4 of those shows lol. (All of Rick and Morty, less than 20 episodes of adventure time and like 10 episodes of gumball/ regular show when I was hospitalized in 2014)

You should definitely watch Gravity Falls and Over the Garden Wall

fromotogi

Banned
Apr 30, 2022
Well as long as nobody talks about their golden age being 70s Hanna-Barbera and 80s Toyetic US cartoons, then it's fine.
Those shows as reruns were the worst part of being an early 2000s Cartoon Network baby

Deleted member 55524

Banned
Mar 31, 2019
I grew up on early to mid 2000s shows and personally i think the quality is the highest its ever been
I agree. And it's partially because of the really high quality serialized shows. Abandoning continuity after every episode is off-putting to me anymore.

But I also want to push back on this "your favorite era is just whenever you grew up" thing because that's just not true for me. I wish we had the shows of today in my childhood. Steven Universe would have meant so much to my confused, suppressed queer brain. šŸ˜­

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well as long as nobody talks about their golden age being 70s Hanna-Barbera and 80s Toyetic US cartoons, then it's fine.
Those shows as reruns were the worst part of being an early 2000s Cartoon Network baby
Yo there was some great shit in there. Scooby Do Where are You, Captain Caveman, Speed Buggy, Yogi's Space Race, DC Super Friends, Godzilla and of course Dynomutt!

fromotogi

Banned
Apr 30, 2022
Yo there was some great shit in there. Scooby Do Where are You, Captain Caveman, Speed Buggy, Yogi's Space Race, DC Super Friends, Godzilla and of course Dynomutt!
The 69 and 70 Scooby was fun for slight viewings. I guess stuff like wacky races can be fun.
But the majority, blegh, garbage.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
We mean serialized in the sense of having a story that progresses from episode to episode? I feel like that was pretty rare in North American in the 90s and earlier, maybe only gaining major force after kids who grew up on localized anime entered the industry. The first things coming to my mind are Teddy Ruxpin and Sonic cartoons.

OP
OP
TheGamingNewsGuy

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
We mean serialized in the sense of having a story that progresses from episode to episode? I feel like that was pretty rare in North American in the 90s and earlier, maybe only gaining major force after kids who grew up on localized anime entered the industry. The first things coming to my mind are Teddy Ruxpin and Sonic cartoons.
Yes

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The OP is right with the keyword being serialized.
It feels, with Amphibia and Owl House ending, we are returning to an "adventure of the week" type show era where eps can be shown in any order without problem.

One from the 90s that come to mind is Gargoyles.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
Fuckin boomer energy not reading the OP. Holy shit. Your 90's (or earlier) cartoons aren't relevant to the topic, and anyone talking about aging out also isn't engaging with the topic.

A lot of animation creators are getting choked out either because queer content is deemed too risky (Disney) or because lowest common denominator content is safer (Netflix chasing Boss Baby) and there doesn't seem to be a lot on the horizon in terms of serialized works that take creative risks or have creative ambition aside from adult animation, which is just one aspect of the industry.

fromotogi

Banned
Apr 30, 2022
Fuckin boomer energy not reading the OP. Holy shit. Your 90's (or earlier) cartoons aren't relevant to the topic, and anyone talking about aging out also isn't engaging with the topic.

A lot of animation creators are getting choked out either because queer content is deemed too risky (Disney) or because lowest common denominator content is safer (Netflix chasing Boss Baby) and there doesn't seem to be a lot on the horizon in terms of serialized works that take creative risks or have creative ambition aside from adult animation, which is just one aspect of the industry.
90s Kids having the need to center the universe around themselves.

Anyways, F*ck Disney.