PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The only beneficial use I could see for an AI voice actor is if you're deliberately using it to make a character sound completely inhuman and bizarre. Like you "cast" an AI voice as an AI character who's pretending to be a human, so that all the little flaws in the performance add up over the course of the game before the big reveal.

But that's such an isolated use case that I don't think it's worth it.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
toe-dip.gif

its gonna get a lot worse before it never gets better

The only beneficial use I could see for an AI voice actor is if you're deliberately using it to make a character sound completely inhuman and bizarre. Like you "cast" an AI voice as an AI character who's pretending to be a human, so that all the little flaws in the performance add up over the course of the game before the big reveal.

theres no need for AI to these cases. post processing is a thing.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
Bad, should've been a VA with digital alterations. Maybe they didn't want to spend the time/money on some localizations but that's no excuse. Do better Capcpom.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
Do you feel that using an AI-generated voice differs significantly from using a more traditional electronic text-to-speech?

Native_Vel

Jun 5, 2022
Well, ai voice for an ai sounds ok to me.

It's like if someone released a big budget Matrix game in Unreal Engine 5 that was using 100% of that procedurally generated technology they showed off.

It's the Matrix— so— it kind of works.

Obviously it won't stop here but its kind of funny nonetheless.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
yeah i mean its not like humans can do that, or do that decently, who liked glados and wheatley

I mean, to be fair, the further you get into portal, the less AI Glados sounds (By design) and wheatley never sounds like an AI (by design).

There are definitely ways of making human voices sound like AI, but they are exercises in audio crafting and are by no means easy. For example:
View: https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=lp-rUnoJH3w&feature=share

TL:DR - it's hard, and that's good. Let masters of their craft continue to interoperate that good folly.

It's actually interesting how quiet Capcom has been about the voice acting in exoprimal considering SF6 has their voice actors prominently displayed on the game's website., but I'm pretty sure Leviathan in the english version is not AI. The writing for the character is actually pretty cutting against AI integration (as it would be for the plot of the game, but still).

nded

Nov 14, 2017
I think The Ascent also used AI voice synthesis or modulation, but this was two years ago so it did not yet feel like an existential crisis and most of the discussion was about how it could be made to sound more convincing.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I mean, to be fair, the further you get into portal, the less AI Glados sounds (By design) and wheatley never sounds like an AI (by design).

There are definitely ways of making human voices sound like AI, but they are exercises in audio crafting and are by no means easy. For example:
View: https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=lp-rUnoJH3w&feature=share

TL:DR - it's hard, and that's good. Let masters of their craft continue to interoperate that good folly.

It's actually interesting how quiet Capcom has been about the voice acting in exoprimal considering SF6 has their voice actors prominently displayed on the game's website., but I'm pretty sure Leviathan in the english version is not AI. The writing for the character is actually pretty cutting against AI integration (as it would be for the plot of the game, but still).

The point is not them sounding like AI. The point is the performances being good. I couldnt care less about 100% authentic AI experience over a good VA job

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Is this just text-to-speech?

It's probably an AI based tool like PlayHT or Speakify, which are glorified Text to Speech apps that still sound awful.

It's been interesting to see a lot of the early skyrim mods that were using voice models from other games 180 and be taken offline out of respect for the plight of VA's. Most everyone still involved are just using these text to speech options which...are bad, and most are just hiring people because...people want the work.

It's good to see.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
So maybe all videogames should now feature robot characters so it's okay to replace the voice actors with AI, then?

You give an inch, they will take a mile. This is a bad precedent no matter the context.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
So maybe all videogames should now feature robot characters so it's okay to replace the voice actors with AI, then?

You give an inch, they will take a mile. This is a bad precedent no matter the context.

I mean they could do that if they wished.

And everyone would call it out for being shit.

At some point, the money you save by not hiring actors isn't worth the lack of professionalism you get from the overall output. Even the best of these AI voice actors are devoid of emotion, inflection, comedic timing, anything that makes a character memorable.

Like we're going to see a lot of studios try this going forward and their shit's going to bomb because of how poor it's going to be. Studios would be better off simply not having voice work at all than implementing these things and getting something that just sounds bad, especially if they're still in the state of chasing trends that were popular 4 years ago.

GLaDOS should be the only AI voice out there, she made Pacific Rim an 11/10 movie
I'm actually surprised Ellen McLain didn't get more work for that voice. I know a lot of is post processing on Valve's part, but it was SO damn iconic with digital beings for almost a decade, and the only other place it was used was PacRim.

Weird.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
This is like, the one time that I wouldn't have a problem with this.
but it's for a AI so this a EH... from me lol

Between takes like these and people excusing that shitty MCU show's opening being created in AI because "It FitS tHe tHeMe", it's easy to see how fucked we are.

So it's ok for AI roles to be voiced by AI. What's the next step? We don't have anyone from Krypton on Earth, better cast that AI to voice Superman. Hey these animals are speaking in that show or movie, talking animals don't exist. Just AI it, it makes sense.

It doesn't make any more sense for an AI role vs any other kind of role. You're either for it or you're not, there is no middle ground.

Amauri14

Oct 27, 2017
Danbury, CT, USA
The problem is, that just like with the Horse Armor in Oblivion, this will extend to every aspect that it could extend. And although one could see it being great for games made by small indie teams, we all know that the mega corporations are will the ones using it once they determine it is good enough to replace real VAs.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Between takes like these and people excusing that shitty MCU show's opening being created in AI because "It FitS tHe tHeMe", it's easy to see how fucked we are.

So it's ok for AI roles to be voiced by AI. What's the next step? We don't have anyone from Krypton on Earth, better cast that AI to voice Superman. Hey these animals are speaking in that show or movie, talking animals don't exist. Just AI it, it makes sense.

It doesn't make any more sense for an AI role vs any other kind of role. You're either for it or you're not, there is no middle ground.
AI cat is out of the bag. It ain't going back in. What you describe will become more common, yes.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017

Direction, writing, acting. You don't need an AI for it, nor does the AI bring any benefit for what you are describing. All you get is one less voice actor with a role. It's not even an "isolated use case" that's worth thinking about.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Fucking hell talk about cutting corners, AI brings no benefits even in these cases

Oct 25, 2017

Absolutely.

Don't let these companies sink into shit like this. Anyone who is against this needs to cause a stink until companies walk it back.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
At some point we'll have a game made by one ai-assisted person. Who will have the code developed in part by ai, art generated by ai, as well as sound and audio generated by ai.

And then the matrix happens.

In that order.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely.

Don't let these companies sink into shit like this. Anyone who is against this needs to cause a stink until companies walk it back.

Though I will say, If you're going to try and rally support against AI simply with the talking point of being against AI, you're not going to get anywhere. You need to be talking about why it's inferior despite being cheap, and why the notion of it taking people's jobs would be the biggest act of professional narcissism and incompetence that could be considered.

Because it's not going away. The only thing we will be able to do is change how it's used. Put it under heavy restrictions on how its allowed to learn.

But it's not going anyway much in the same way that social media isn't going away. So we have to get in early to limit what can be done with it.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Leviathan is all over the game, too.

Just pay a voice actor, Capcom. You already spent a ton of money making a nonsense dinosaur shooter, why skimp right at the end?

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Not the biggest fan of this but not unprecedented either. Wall.E's main villain was voiced by TTS.

This can be a stylistic choice, but this is more likely an attempt to save money on the dub. And as folks have mentioned, there are so many great robot voices that only exist because of the extremely talented humans behind them.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
At some point we'll have a game made by one ai-assisted person. Who will have the code developed in part by ai, art generated by ai, as well as sound and audio generated by ai.

And then the matrix happens.

In that order.

I mean, even int he matrix, the point is that the AI generated worlds sucked. They went through 7 iterations of the matrix before they came up with the "current" model, and even then, the architect and the machine governance weren't happy with it and were ready to start again with new rules, new "prompts".

Human hands still need to be involved or you get something that's trying to please no one.

Morgan J

Oct 26, 2017
The problem is, that just like with the Horse Armor in Oblivion, this will extend to every aspect that it could extend. And although one could see it being great for games made by small indie teams, we all know that the mega corporations are will the ones using it once they determine it is good enough to replace real VAs.

Don't get me wrong , I do agree with you when the problem expands. I just think that in this case, this game, the ai leviathan would be really fitting with an ai voice. Sounding "fake".
If they would replace regular characters with ai voice, then yeah I would not like that.

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
There are soooo many extremely talented VOs that can do great AI voices, slap a filter and boom you have an AI character. The only reason they did this because the didn't want to pay money to a human being.

This shit won't stop here it will grow and grow and leave thousands of people unemployed if it's left unchecked just in our industry. But I guess this doesn't matter to all those weirdos on LinkedIn shilling for all sorts of AI generated shit.

Oct 25, 2017
Though I will say, If you're going to try and rally support against AI simply with the talking point of being against AI, you're not going to get anywhere. You need to be talking about why it's inferior despite being cheap, and why the notion of it taking people's jobs would be the biggest act of professional narcissism and incompetence that could be considered.

Because it's not going away. The only thing we will be able to do is change how it's used. Put it under heavy restrictions on how its allowed to learn.

But it's not going anyway much in the same way that social media isn't going away. So we have to get in early to limit what can be done with it.

It's one of those things where companies will take a mile if they get an inch.

We already have companies trying to get voice actors to sign off on rights to use A.I. to emulate their voices.

We already have people doing this to voice actors right now. Erica Lindbeck, for example, got harassed off Twitter for not approving of someone recreating her voice using A.I. People didn't like that she didn't like her own god damn voice being used by someone's A.I. recreation program.

This isn't even necessarily about A.I. specifically. We need to be in the corner of voice actors and artists who various industries and techbros will do anything to screw over.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Don't get me wrong , I do agree with you when the problem expands. I just think that in this case, this game, the ai leviathan would be really fitting with an ai voice. Sounding "fake".
If they would replace regular characters with ai voice, then yeah I would not like that.
The well's poisoned. Doesn't matter it fits or not, people are going to assume you just don't want to help people pay their bills from here on out.

bruchuck

Sep 3, 2021
What worries me is the other info on the tweet... The voice changes between portuguese and English.. maybe they didn't hired Brazilian QA to test if the dub is correct..

A lot of games released with automatic translation (even for text) didn't do this and the result is castatrophic...

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020

Yeah, nah, this is slippery slope nonsense. A computer generated voice for a literal computer is pretty clearly delineated from every nightmare scenario you tried to paint there.

To stretch your point to absurdity as you did mine, I'm sure there are actors out there that do a mean dog impression or ambulance sirens. Clearly we should be getting them to do those rather than using sound effects right?