Hero_Select

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I managed to get one this last time they went up on the 26th so I'm glad I just happened to check that morning randomly. It only just shipped yesterday finally and I'll get it by friday w00t w00t.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
That's to bad. But atleast if the other controllers are any indication they'll be pretty easy to get or sometimes be on sale in the future

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Surprised so many people were that excited for such an awful controller.

Only reason I would have jumped aboard is if they'd done this one:

N64-Controller-by-Nintendo-Atomic-Purple.jpg

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017

N64 games are made with this controller in mind. The app not allowing button mapping (which it should) only increases demand.

Even when I've emulated N64 games and mapped the buttons myself, it just always felt weird. Especially the Rare games where the camera and actions are linked to the same buttons.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Bought it, used it once, hated it. I had good memories of playing OoT and MM on the thing so I was excited for it but... well, I don't have the hands of a 9 year old anymore, and it was extremely uncomfortable to hold. I will likely be looking into selling it on Ebay or something.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
N64 games just feel right on it.
It's a great controller.
N64 games are made with this controller in mind. The app not allowing button mapping (which it should) only increases demand.

Even when I've emulated N64 games and mapped the buttons myself, it just always felt weird. Especially the Rare games where the camera and actions are linked to the same buttons.
I understand defending the GameCube controller. The N64 controller though? And that awful color?

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
I'm bummed that I can't seem to get it to work with my PC. The 8bitdo USB adapter that normally works isn't doing anything, plugging it in via USB-C shows up on the hardware list, but not as a controller.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City

Yeah, it's genuinely the worst controller I've ever had the displeasure of using. A real ergonomic abomination. But I think a lot of it is because people want to experience the games with the original input device, which is understandable from that perspective.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I understand defending the GameCube controller. The N64 controller though? And that awful color?
I'm not really defending it, I'm saying the games were made with the C buttons in mind. It's very hard to play N64 games on any other controller, that's not a compliment to the N64 controller, just the reality I face when I try anything else.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's not a great controller but due to the different layout it's almost required for N64 games to not feel awkward to play.
I'm not really defending it, I'm saying the games were made with the C buttons in mind. It's very hard to play N64 games on any other controller, that's not a compliment to the N64 controller, just the reality I face when I try anything else.
That's fair

Yes?

Like, all old tech seemed to be that color and it looks awful

old-desktop-computer-with-monitor-keyboard-and-mouse-picture-id485913783

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
Seems in line with Nintendo's other switch classic controllers. I remember the snes controller being out of stock for 3+ months easily.

100mega

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully they put out some other colors before they run out of N64 games to add to the expansion pack.

Madao

Avalanche's One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
Can I juse find an adapter and plugin my old N64 Controller

it is possible but will be a bit of work.

i use a 8bitDo GBros adapter for GC controllers on Switch and chained it together with a Raphnet N64-to-GC controller adapter and was able to use one of my old N64 controllers on Switch.
i dunno if there's any adapter that does N64-to-Switch directly since it's such an old controller and not as popular as 16bit console controllers.

Storminormin

Jan 14, 2018
I like the controller, but it's currently not worth it anyway.
I found the input lag on N64 Switch online too high to be enjoyable. Do we have concrete numbers on the input lag yet? Could always be placebo, but it feels bad to me.

For those saying the N64 controller is bad... It has a unique form factor, N64 games were designed around it. It's still the best way to play those games. If you want a truly abominable controller, try out a Dreamcast. Those triggers have pinched my chubby fingers too many times. Kind of baffles me how much better the Saturn 3D pad is by comparison.

Last edited:

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
damn it. was looking to using one of these controllers for modern fighting games :(

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Man I can't believe people like the N64 controller so much! I guess it's a natural fit for a handful of games but I'd say it's probably Nintendo's worst controller.

Justin Bailey

BackOnline
Oct 28, 2017
But the dislikes on YouTube???

:)

It's an amazing recreation. I'm playing OoT with it now and it feels perfect.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
Don't mind waiting for latest iterations . Didn'f someone post the build quality for the joystick on the N64 controller as poor compared to the original N64 controller, like it could potentially break easier??

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Was hoping to buy one or two.

Guess I'll be waiting and hoping more supply comes with emulation fixes.

Applepieman

Nov 5, 2017
Well dang, I've actually been checking the site daily for a chance to order one. Suppose the waiting game it is. Ebay prices are quite telling on scalper paradise.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Got mine the other day. Honestly having never owned one I picked it up mostly for the sheer novelty of it. But also, like... it's such a weird form factor and the games were all designed with it in mind. Using more modern controllers it isn't usually obvious why something controls the way it does unless you've got this thing in your hands.

This seems pretty consistent with what happened with the SNES controllers, and while I think these will still be in high demand once the restock happens, the stock situation for SNES controllers did get considerably better over time where no one is really left wanting if they do want one in the long run. The NSO subscription requirement is honestly worth it on the market value for folks wanting hardware since that limits the audience for scalpers to get too crazy with ordering these.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
it is possible but will be a bit of work.

i use a 8bitDo GBros adapter for GC controllers on Switch and chained it together with a Raphnet N64-to-GC controller adapter and was able to use one of my old N64 controllers on Switch.
i dunno if there's any adapter that does N64-to-Switch directly since it's such an old controller and not as popular as 16bit console controllers.

Does the Raphnet adapter have on-board (I wouldn't say 'built-in' because it'd only be plastic for the most part with no software like the 8bitdo gear I would think) capabilities for button re-mapping?

I have a similar device (Classic Linker) that does that but its options for re-maps do not work on the Switch where they would work on previous consoles.

I can't fire items in MK64, I can't punch in SM64, I can't barrel roll in one direction in Star Fox, etc.

Turnabout Sisters

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't really been following these but what is the analog stick like? Optical with self-destructing grinding plastic like the original, or gamecube style like those replacements you can buy on amazon? Or something else?

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
I got mine in yesterday; its...one of my favorite toy purchases all year :) Great weight, exact layout, STRONG rumble...feels great to use...

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Like seriously, Sin and Punishment makes actual sense now compared to when I played it on Wii. Even the weird lock-on cursor switching makes more sense now.

任天堂ファン

Alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2020
Absolutely.

It's great for the games that people will be playing on NSO.

... grey?

If we look at it from the angle on whether or not it is intuitive to use, I don't think it's that great. It has three handles, going from a PS1 controller to that was frustrating and I was never 100% on which of the three handles I should be holding.

FinalArcadia

Nov 4, 2020
USA
Damn, it seemed like they were coming back in stock a decent bit, so I didn't think something like this would happen. Sucks for anyone who was on the fence about buying one but didn't commit.

Glad I managed to order one about a week ago (just went out for shipping yesterday though), I think it'll definitely enhance my enjoyment of the NSO N64 games, especially as someone who grew up with the N64.

Rayasab

Banned
Apr 12, 2021
People who got their consoles and peripherals should feel lucky, it's getting ugly with semis shortage

Gunman

Aug 19, 2020
Dodged a bullet not wasting money on this. There's no use for it for the foreseeable future.