KiNolin

Oct 28, 2017
But I grew up with the prequels and still understand that they were shit in hindsight. Hell, I didn't even like Episode 2 as a kid, because that romance shlock isn't exactly what I wanted to see as a 12 yo either.

Either way, I've seen some really cringey prequel praise, but at the end of the day it's just bad opinions on family films, who cares.

Tomasoares

Oct 28, 2017
ESB, TFA and TLJ are the only good mainline Star Wars films. ANH is cool too, although it suffers too much due to low budget.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
The prequels are unique, there's simply nothing like them. It's a crazy vision of a single man who tried to push some things as much as possible. For some people, despite everything, it has tons of charm. So when you put in contrast the new movies which are somewhat formulaic and are more traditional blockbusters, it's not crazy to prefer those flawed, memorable, immensely quotable, lovable movies.

Chalfonts

Banned
Apr 3, 2018
Certainly more memorable than the star wars remake

THe grimdark star wars spinoff, fat han solo movie and dimpster fire that is last jedi sound a lot worse

It takes a special kind of terrible to tank a franchise

Wogan

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, I've been seeing that more. People shitting on TLJ and praising the prequels without prompting.

The prequels have taken enough of my time already. I don't like explaining why I don't like them, when my reasons are so obvious.

RavenGear

Oct 27, 2017
I suspect that there is a huge overlap between people praising the prequels and people harassing the actors of TLJ online.

Naphu

Apr 6, 2018
Well I mean, you praised them in your OP. Entertaining epic? It's a tempting thing to do for some reason I guess.

They all have horrible acting and writing. They all have bad camera direction and terrible use of CG. Every one of them. Even if you stoop down and try to find things to like, which is fine, with all those glaring fundamental movie making flaws you can't call them good movies.

Last edited:

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Probably because I was about the perfect age when it came out (10-12 range I think), Phantom Menace is still a fun watch for me.

Yes, I'm well aware of (and agree with) every flaw in the movie, both major and minor (I do love the RLM review of it), and I have my own personal problems with the writing and acting (Lil Ani of course, but there's plenty of awkward dialog to spread around that movie).
But there's still enough fun stuff in it that I can enjoy it (note that I grew up with MST3K as a kid, so my tolerance for badness is pretty high). It helps that the movie inspired a lot of games and stuff at the time that led up to the movie (like Rouge Squadron) and after it (like the Podracer game on N64).

Episode 2 and 3 I really cant stand Anakin (especially because he's basically the main character) and in my opinion the movies just got worse and worse. TPM was super messy, but pretty straightforward. Episode 2 was kind of an even bigger mess with the stuff like where the clones came from, them being Jango Fett, the romance, etc. And Episode 3 was just bad top to bottom for me (too much dumb drawn out action, terrible character decisions, rushing to fit everything I to place to end the trilogy).

The new movies for me are fairly bland. TFA is totally solid, but it stuck so close to ANH. TLJ I think is pretty bad, but the boring kind of bad that's not even fun to watch (MST3K had movies like that too, where even their jokes didn't help). Rogue One I actually liked well enough, but like TFA it was good to me because it tried to emulate the look and feel of the original movies so well, rather than anything new it brought to the table. And SOLO I haven't seen yet (just didnt have enough interest).

Patrick S.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know how you could watch Anakin's turn and say "mission accomplished".

- Palpatine admits he is the Dark Lord whose underlings have repeatedly tried to kill both him and Padme
- after Anakin attacks Mace Windu, Palpatine admits his life-saving powers were all bullshit
- Anakin still agrees to murder every Jedi in the galaxy for some reason
- ???
- profit!!!

The sole purpose of the prequels was to show Anakin's turn to the dark side and it was fumbled completely.

To be perfectly honest with you, I haven't seen the prequels in more than ten years, and I don't remember a lot of the plots. I'll have to rewatch them to see what I really think of them today. I think they are on Netflix, I'll probably watch them during this weekend.

Not

Oct 25, 2017
US
I was a kid and liked the prequels

I now do not like the prequels

It stands to reason, by solipsistic anecdotal logic, that everyone who is an adult and still likes the prequels possesses stunted emotional growth and suffers from external reinforcement of magical thinking tendencies

Am I joking right now? I don't even know anymore

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They are crap movies that some sections of the SW fan base have started getting nostalgic about and just like with anything that exists, nostalgia is the death of critical thinking.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think a lot of the recent appreciation of the prequels basically boils down to people being disappointed in the ST and wanting something that feels more original again. When I think of George, I'm reminded of that TR quote.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

hapankorppu

Banned
Jun 8, 2018
episode 3 is better than the ot movies combined.

edit. episode 1 is terrible but atlest it gave us good memes, so it is better than ep4 and 6.

Not

Oct 25, 2017
US
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."
That guy really should've gotten out of a gladiatorial arena infested with so many yes men

Teeny

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I don't understand why people seem to like the prequels and to praise them in response to the new era of films, even as someone that grew up in the midst of The Phantom Menace Star Wars craze and the subsequent films. They have always felt hollow to me, films with grand ideas marred hideously by terrible execution.

Saying that, fans of the franchise really need to let go and allow people to enjoy what they want to enjoy. Some people can find qualities in the prequels that I cannot; that is okay. It is allowed.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know how you could watch Anakin's turn and say "mission accomplished".

- Palpatine admits he is the Dark Lord whose underlings have repeatedly tried to kill both him and Padme
- after Anakin attacks Mace Windu, Palpatine admits his life-saving powers were all bullshit
- Anakin still agrees to murder every Jedi in the galaxy for some reason
- ???
- profit!!!

The sole purpose of the prequels was to show Anakin's turn to the dark side and it was fumbled completely.

You realize saving Padme was but one excuse for turning? It wasn't solely about her, rather it was the final straw that broke the camel's back. Anakin was an arrogant, prideful, and power hungry Jedi tired of having to hide his love life away. The appeal of finally being able to live "free" and be rightfully rewarded with the respect and power he felt he deserved was the primary motivators behind his turn.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
You realize saving Padme was but one excuse for turning? It wasn't solely about her, rather it was the final straw that broke the camel's back. Anakin was an arrogant, prideful, and power hungry Jedi tired of having to hide his love life away. The appeal of finally being able to live "free" and be rightfully rewarded with the respect and power he felt he deserved was the primary motivators behind his turn.

Nah, he was just a moron. The second Palpatine said the life-saving stuff was bullshit he should have arrested him. But he went on a killing spree instead. The man was a psychopath with the reasoning powers of a mosquito. Probably the second dumbest person in the galaxy after Mace "A DARK LORD?!" Windu.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
It really bothers me when people don't think the prequels were good and forget about General Grievous, the greatest character in Star Wars. He alone automatically negates whatever "criticism" you have of the prequels.

tumblr_n15tw2B5dF1qbymseo1_r3_250.gif

Awful character.

Prequels are crap especially Episode 1 and 2. 3 is still very bad but slighty better.

fhqwhgads

Oct 28, 2017
It's pretty much the Zelda cycle at this point.
"WTF the prequels suck??? The original trilogy was so much better!!"
"WTF the sequels suck??? The prequels were so much better!!"
Give it another decade or two when episodes X XI XII come out and you'll have people praising the shit out of TFA and TLJ

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mr. Plinkett saves the day. (First hour or so is a look at the revisionist history that the prequels were good)

T'Challa Shakur

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The Clone Wars did a lot for the prequels. TPM is the best one but most of it is garbage but mans will reach and stretch any reason to reonfrein their beliefs.

Ninjimbo

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
I've been defending them forever. I don't like the new trilogy for various reasons. I'm sick of being mocked for liking the prequels though so I stopped talking about it. That and Star Wars isn't important anymore.

GitarooMan

Oct 27, 2017
Unmitigated disasters on all fronts. The new movies are like orders of magnitude better and it amazes me to see people think the prequels are better

Eidan

AVALANCHE
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah the prequels are shit, and the revisionist takes on them are hilariously transparent.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
The thing is though Revenge of the Sith is actually a pretty good movie. Phantom Menace though very flawed still has the feeling of the old movies in the way it is shot. Plus Duel of the Fates is one of the best scenes in all of Star Wars. The only not great film out of the three is Attack of the Clones which only the beginning and ending are good. The whole middle of that movie is very forgettable.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, he was just a moron. The second Palpatine said the life-saving stuff was bullshit he should have arrested him. But he went on a killing spree instead. The man was a psychopath with the reasoning powers of a mosquito. Probably the second dumbest person in the galaxy after Mace "A DARK LORD?!" Windu.

But, the question isn't whether Anakin is a moron, it was whether he turned soley due to Padme when the movie makes clear it was just the final straw to seduce him. This is a man who whined about not being made a Jedi Master after being appointed to the Jedi High Council despite everything he'd done. And, a dude that decapitated a defenseless prisoner at the start of the movie. Anakin wanted power, respect, and total freedom to live his life the way he wanted. The Jedi failed to provide any of those things, so he was itching at an excuse to finally break free from them. Remember, Anakin could have left the Jedi Order at any point and just lived with Padme. He wasn't going to be executed for carrying on an affair, the only "punishment" he faced was being expelled from The Order. But, ask yourself why that mattered to him if he truly only cared about Padme? Because, Anakin liked the power and respect from society the Jedi provided him.

Teeny

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I've said it before in another thread (in another place) but looking at the concept art from The Phantom Menace feels like looking at a Star Wars film set hundreds of years before the Original Trilogy. Some of those things came to fruition in the final film, at least visually. Some of those things were abandoned and I have no idea why. Visually, TPM is the most interesting of the prequels, easily. Reusing those concepts in an Anthology film would make me very happy.

That's about all I can take away from the prequels. I feel TPM builds too shaky a foundation and the trilogy never really recovers, though Revenge Of The Sith does it best and The Clone Wars fills in a lot of holes. It's not enough to make me like the films. They just leave me with a feeling of "what could have been". Interestingly, so does the Sequel Trilogy but for entirely different reasons (and I'm willing to wait for the final film to announce my judgement).

AimLow

Dec 10, 2017
I enjoyed the prequels personally. I am also enjoying the new ones. Hell, I enjoyed every single Star Wars movie ever made. That said, I won't pretend that they didn't have flaws.

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's because the good parts are easier to recall than the bad parts. I know Jar Jar was annoying and character motivations often don't make sense and some of the acting was pretty bad, but the films took a lot of creative and aesthetic risks, and some of them paid off. The new trilogy doesn't have any set location as visually interesting as Coruscant or even Theed, no space battle even approaches the opening scenes of episode 2, and the lightsaber battles in 7 and 8 look like they're fighting in molasses compared to Duel of the Fates or the Yoda fight.

It was garish in the best possible way, and its visuals, if not its storytelling, encapsulate that one particular moment in late 90s American culture when it looked like the peace really was going to last forever. It's deeply, deeply flawed, but I'm not surprised its reputation has started to mend somewhat.

Oct 25, 2017
You are being childish. It bothers you that people enjoy certain movies? And Star Wars movies of all things?

And I love the prequels. Just saying.

hotcyder

Oct 28, 2017
They have good ideas but they're shit films.

And this is coming from someone who didn't particularly like a Star Wars film till TFA (and really liked TLJ)

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I predicted this nonsense back when the Disney acquisition and confirmation of the sequels was first announced.

It was inevitable that some of the same people who spent nearly two decades calling George Lucas a talentless hack would end up championing him and his prequels if the SW sequels didn't go their way.

I fucking knew this would happen and it changes nothing, especially considering the critical and commercial response to the Disney films (sans Solo) that has been overwhelmingly positive.

And that's coming from somebody who actually loves the prequels despite their flaws.

Lebron

Oct 30, 2017
I will defend the prequels musical score till I'm on my death bed. RoTS is still JW's best work in a SW film.

I use to be more critical of the prequels (RLM drone like most), but I've appreciate them more now. Shit execution, but still some good parts. The cartoons and books went over a lot of the issues I had with it.

Deleted member 9932

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's the other way around. You probably gave too much attention to vocal star wars criticizing the prequels and/or that shitty voice guy reviews and imagined everyone disliked them, which is not true at all. Off course now, next to the disney wars, turds looks like diamonds next to it.