• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
Massive QoL change.

I got stung with this on both UC4 and TLoU:R.

Edit: Wait, does it solve the save issue?

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
That's a huge QoL change that I loved on Xbox.

Very glad to see it make the jump as the few times I ran into the issue, it was a bit annoying having to redownload everything on a slower connection.

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
Does that mean that saves can accessed over digital/physical versions as well?

I had the physical version of Fallout 4 and, after spending forever downloading it, was not able to access my saves on the digital version.

If that has been resolved, that's awesome...and about time

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

I had the physical version of Fallout 4 and, after spending forever downloading it, was not able to access my saves on the digital version.

That might be harder to do if the the games' disc and digital versions are technically different system SKUs. It might not even be consistent across all games.

Oct 25, 2017
Extreme rare W. Too bad that I had a digital version. V_V I might reconsider buying another one that intact with physical disc(Allegedly the rumors about they making a PS5 Pro in the near future or not)

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
I don't think this is exactly what the thread title says- the backend still views them as different items, it's just now okay for you to not use the disc. Still a huge improvement, though!

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
That might be harder to do if the the games' disc and digital versions are technically different system SKUs. It might not even be consistent across all games.

Might be a case by case basis.

I know some games didn't treat them differently but back in the day I think something like Bloodborne did. Want to say the Save Issue compatibility was mostly an issue with the earlier PS4 games and later stuff doesn't.

A lot of the save errors seem to relate to 2015 and earlier titles

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Can they fix the issue with PS4 discs still showing up when I have the PS5 version downloaded?

The PS4 launcher of Stray is taking up 20 MB it doesn't have to!

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
So I won't need to have my PS4 No Mans Sky disc inserted to play PS5 No Mans Sky VR?

Can they fix the issue with PS4 discs still showing up when I have the PS5 version downloaded?

The PS4 launcher of Stray is taking up 20 MB it doesn't have to!
That too, very annoying.

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
Dang. You're probably right. I might cross my fingers that it somehow can be fixed. I don't even have the premium anymore or I would try to check the digital version.

Honestly never understood the SKU thing. There was some other early launch game that was similar. I played the physical version, traded it in, it was free on PS plus so I went to try it again and no saves. It still had the achivements I had unlocked. Infamous maybe?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Dang. You're probably right. I might cross my fingers that it somehow has been magically fixed. I don't even have the premium anymore or I might check.

Honestly never understood the SKU thing. There was some other early launch game that was similar. I played the physical version, traded it in, it was free on PS plus so I went to try it again and no saves. It still had the achivements I had unlocked. Infamous maybe?

Trophies are generally game-agnostic (you won't see multiple listings for a game in your trophy list regardless of if you bought it multiple times), though some games have region-specific trophy lists.

The thing about SKUs is that the PS file system likely stores game save data under a SKU-based filing system - you can see this when transferring save data to and from a PS console via USB. For example, DMC5's physical SKU number is 2102750. This number effectively identifies physical copies of that game. The digital version may (I don't know for sure, this is just a general example) have a different SKU number and therefore save files would be sorted in a folder for THAT SKU, rather than the one for the physical SKU. This means the system won't be able to recognize save data across the two versions because the file system isn't checking the other SKU folder for saves when the game boots up.

This isn't a consistent thing of course, some games use the same SKU number for digital and physical and thus there's only one place for the file system to place the saves, allowing save crossover between disc and download.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, saw this when I got the beta invite. Didn't want to install but this was the biggest news for me.

Oct 28, 2017
I do a lot of double dipping for my physical games. I have been waiting a long ass time for this implementation.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Might be a case by case basis.

I know some games didn't treat them differently but back in the day I think something like Bloodborne did. Want to say the Save Issue compatibility was mostly an issue with the earlier PS4 games and later stuff doesn't.

A lot of the save errors seem to relate to 2015 and earlier titles
Pretty sure that was for the GOTY disc version specifically.

In general if there are save issues, it is either because there is an updated disc SKU or there is a region incompatibility (grey import). There might still be some occasional problems like having a different publisher for digital and physical, but in almost all cases disc saves = digital saves.

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Wow that's an awesome change they kept quiet. Most of the big changes didn't really apply to me, so wasn't so interested.
This was a big bother in the PS4 era for sure, unfortunately barely get as many PS5 discs atm, but maybe it'll change over time.

Ltn_Esteves

Feb 4, 2021
Finally, I have several games via ps+ that I also own on disc, now I don't need to go get the disc to play them.

Ltn_Esteves

Feb 4, 2021
Now im just confused about what this feature is....
If you owned a game disc (Bloodborne for example) and them later redeemed bloodborne on PS+, you would always need to disc in the drive to play it no matter if you did the download if the ps+ version or installed from the disc. If this news is true now the ps5 should understand that you can play bloodborne without the disc since you have the ps+ version.
(This is assuming you have an active subscription of course)

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Yeah, worked for me with my disc copy of Horizon 2. Hit see versions, or however it's called, and it took me to the digital store version, hit download on it, it popped up the choice of PS5 and PS4 downloads, I backed out to see if I had the 100 gig or whatever to fit it, and it had applied the digital PS Plus sign to my disc based copy. Hit go and it loaded, no disc needed, no extra download needed either.

Yorker14

Apr 27, 2022
Sydney, Australia

I think this is a case-by-case thing. I was able to access saves from physical disc installs of The Witcher 3 and TLOU2 later when I re-purchased the games digitally. I was also able to do this for game's I previously owned physically that have since been added to PS Plus, such as HZD, GOW2018 and Spider-Man.

However, this hasn't worked for me across different region SKUs. I had Spider-Man PS4 saves attached to my Australian version of the game that I gave away to a friend. But after moving to Ireland I re-purchased the game, but was unable to access my Australian saves via an EU version of the game.

On the other hand, this has never been a problem for me with PS5 games. I purchased and played physical copies of Demon's Souls, Death Stranding: Director's Cut, GotG, HFW and Returnal in the EU, but have still been able to access those saves via Australian PS Plus versions of the games.

It's definitely confusing, and I'm not sure if PS4 and PS5 are treated differently in this regard. Or perhaps it might be an on a publisher-by-publisher basis, with some having different SKUs for digital vs. physical, or by region as well. I do know sometimes "Game of the Year" and "Deluxe" editions of games get treated differently from a SKU perspective as well. It would be good if it could be handled on a broader system by Sony, but I understand there may be market protection reasons behind region-specific SKUs - so who knows!

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, worked for me with my disc copy of Horizon 2. Hit see versions, or however it's called, and it took me to the digital store version, hit download on it, it popped up the choice of PS5 and PS4 downloads, I backed out to see if I had the 100 gig or whatever to fit it, and it had applied the digital PS Plus sign to my disc based copy. Hit go and it loaded, no disc needed, no extra download needed either.
This was the biggest issue me and others had, and why I always gave MS props for the way XBO and Series consoles handle disc to digital license transfers.

This is the mega ton news, lol.