Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
So very pleased with this! Though there were few more nominees that I wouldn't had mind winning either. But this was the best possible outcome.
My friend I played it with hated that character because he thought it was a racist caricature voiced by the director (I looked it up and Fares only did the motion capture).
Yeah the book was voiced by a Mexican actor who also played the dad.

joshcam19

Nov 11, 2017
Once Returnal wasn't nominated I lost all interest in this award. I would have been happy for both Ratchet and Clank and Metroid Dread, two pretty under appreciated yet long running and great franchises. I personally thought It Takes Two was pretty average but Josef winning was definitely the best for the entertainment value.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Happy for Josef Fares and his team, Sweden represent! Don't mind this win: I had hoped for Deathloop since I'm in love with that game, but what I've played of It Takes Two so far rocks. My co-op partner just became a dad so we haven't gotten around to finish the game...

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
would've preferred Metroid but this is a masterpiece that deserves to go in the all-time greats list. certainly well deserved. Congrats to the team!

Brainfreeze

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
I would have never guessed It Takes Two (my money was on Resident Evil or Deathloop, personally), but it totally deserves the recognition. It's one of those games where you could just feel the creators' passion oozing out of it. So cool to see a co-op only game like this win. I can't wait to see what they do next (I hope it's a similar level of cartoony).

Hassansan

Oct 27, 2017
This game just kept going and going and at every turn kept introducing some new ideas and it just didn't stop, I was blown away by the sheer amount of new stuff we kept seeing and how polished they felt.

Very happy for the team <3 .

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Congrats to Josef. I adored the gameplay in this, loved the coop experience with my wife, and both of us absolutely hated the characters and dialogue. Wonderful to see him and his team get the recognition tho, great to see something out of left field win.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
Lol. Well deserved. One of the most creative games I've played. And his reaction is hilarious.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I just rolled credits on it takes two tonight actually and it was... Alright? There were moments of brilliance and it's wildly creative but I found it stretched out way longer than it needed to be especially as a game that you cannot play alone. If each level was half as long as it was it would have been much better.

Physconaughts 2 on the other hand was one of the best games I've ever played so it was disappointing to not see it win but I also understand that these awards are a bit of a popularity contest even amongst journalist and often times it comes down to what is not the best but what is the biggest and best (all though I don't even think it takes two falls under the "biggest" category)

Micerider

Nov 11, 2017
My GOtY as well, so happy for Hazelight, the craft and love in this game are a joy to see and play.

Oct 26, 2017
Well deserved, such and endlessly creative and polished love letter to video games.

I lost my mind at the sequence on top of the plane and couldn't even properly enjoy it, because I was so amazed at what was happening.

CabooseMSG

Jun 27, 2020
3rd Best game won, at least they're trending better with the winners year after year. I expect the real best game of 2024 to actually win that year

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
Can't remember the last time I had this much fun and laughed that much while playing a game with a friend or playing a game at all. For me, it deserved the win, also glad that Guardians of the Galaxy at least received one award.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Can't remember the last time I had this much fun and laughed that much while playing a game with a friend or playing a game at all. For me, it deserved the win, also glad that Guardians of the Galaxy at least received one award.

I do think best voice performance+direction might need a whole category instead of individual actors. Dimitrescu is fine for the short while she's in the game, but something like Psychonauts 2 is from start to finish full of perfectly delivered lines (including the celebrity roles). I suppose you could include that in "best Audio design" but that's really nonspecific.

BabyShams

Nov 7, 2017
IMO It Takes Two is just bottom tier co-op gameplay, nothing special or unique that hasn't been done in other multiplayer games over 20 years, I guess they put a narrative to Mario Party and that deserves GOTY...

Every other game deserved the award over this game.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Joseph sure has some of the most interesting careers in the media business. I had to double-check if he really is the guy from the movie "Kops".

I also like his brother a lot as an actor. They seem like cool guys. Also, glad a somewhat "smaller" and unique game won the price. Well deserved.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
I just rolled credits on it takes two tonight actually and it was... Alright? There were moments of brilliance and it's wildly creative but I found it stretched out way longer than it needed to be especially as a game that you cannot play alone. If each level was half as long as it was it would have been much better.

yeah not as hot on it, not a bad game or anything but GOTY? , game definitely wore on me. And the story is pretty weak overall, left me on a sour note by credits.

Mikch85

May 12, 2018
Really don't care about awards in general, but this is the right choice. And I'm really surprised to type that, considering I hated A Way Out.

Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait ⇄ Leeds, England
Well deserving. It's one of the most charming and fun times I had with a buddy. Endlessly creative and it controls like a dream. Also, the online co-op was smooth as butter.

I still do not understand why some who dislike the game seem to view it as a meditation on marriage or some shit. It's just a romantic comedy with two people who have great chemistry. Though I feel the ending of this game is way better than what you typically find in traditional romantic comedies.

TheTruth

Jul 23, 2018
It's a bit sad when the TGA's are a 3-4h show, where they spend lots of time on filler content, live performances, and then give a game of the year winner 40s to do his speech. But congrats for Hazelight, they deserve it!

pbayne

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
I guess the winners know in advance they are winning cause he was out of his seat before the name was even read lol

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised at this winning, would have thought one of the more conventional nominees would have won. But this makes me very pleased, I played almost all the nominees (still need to get round to Metroid and Deathloop, I own them at least) and It Takes Two was by far the biggest surprise and best game I played all year (well, other than Returnal). Its just such a clever and unique spin on a platformer, it worked so well in practice, it never stayed on one idea for long enough so you were always getting different powers or weapons. At the point where I was basically playing a Street Fighter mini game against a squirrel while my friend was piloting the plane we were fighting on... I knew it was very special. Absolutely the right choice and Im glad that the voters picked it. Here's hoping it gets more awards.

Mortal Mario

Apr 15, 2019
UK
I'm really enjoying playing this with my partner. Not a perfect game but it's a lot of fun. Wouldn't be my choice but it's a worthy winner.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
Narratively the game is kind of a mess (and SHOULD NOT be played by children, so winning the best family category was wild.)

Gameplay wise, though, it's possibly one of the most technically impressive (from a design standpoint) 3D platformers I've ever played? Every area has completely different mechanics, and all of them are great.

Nov 2, 2017
My partner and I played the whole game convinced there would be some late-game twist acknowledging what a monster that fucking book was, I was sure he would be the final boss.

Great game, but especially given the couch co-op nature of the game I really wish it had included more accessibility/difficulty options for less experienced players (maybe this stuff was patched in later?). My partner is still a bit of a novice at playing with a controller and it made portions of the game more frustrating than enjoyable for them.