Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
Like the title says, it really sucks there isn't really a best version or definitive way to play one of the greatest games of all time. While most of the games in the series have had updated ports with bonus features or additional content by most accounts there is a 'best' version of each game... Except for FFVI.

Let's exclude the terrible PSX version from the get go, outside of that theres a few ways to play this game.

The SNES Version - Great Music and gameplay but a rather awful translation and lacking the additional content the game would later have on the GBA and later.

The GBA Version - New content and a much more refined translation but god awful music and sound effects not to mention some colors are washed out.

The Mobile/PC version - Includes the GBA bonus content and translation and good music and some pretty nice high res enemy sprites but the character models and general graphics look terrible not to mention on PC its a mobile port so it uses the awful mobile UI in battle as well.
djforrj1x1nzdy4lyitz.jpg

I mean really look at this. Why did they do this? It could've looked like the FFIV PSP version see this:
latest

It could have looked like this, why doesn't it look like this?

There are various mods/patches for each version but none of them are without flaws or are just unfinished. It sucks because after this last SGDQ I really felt like diving back into one of the best games of all time but even after all of this time there isn't really a 'best' version that has good graphics/music while also having the extra content the GBA added along with the better translation.

It really sucks because the game deserves better and most of the series has a definitive version by this point. I'm not saying I want a full on remake, I don't trust the current SE to do that without fucking it up but I wish there was something like the PC version just with a hell of a lot more effort involved or even a port that combines the better elements of the GBA and SNES versions.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yeah it sucks, I'm still staggered at just how ugly the mobile version is. It's one of the worst looking games I've ever seen

I also don't really like the look of FFIV on the PSP, but it's better than the trash that is FFVI on mobile

I played the SNES version of FFVI and had a great time with it

BrunoLouviers

Oct 28, 2017
Madrid, Spain
There is a GBA modded version with SNES' music and color palette. You still get the better translation and the extra content from the GBA and the best elements from the original one.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
The Steam version has some fans working on a mod for the sprites. It's almost done and will be the best version.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Final Fantasy VI is my favorite Final Fantasy, and it really sucks that SquareEnix decided to do a FFVII Remake first.
Heck, I'd settle for a new turn based main line Final Fantasy set in a similar steam punk setting.
They really never revisted another world nearly as interesting to me as the World of Ruin...

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm still of the mindset that FF6 needed the "Remake" treatment far more than FF7 did.

I would love to hear that opera in fully-voiced in-game detail.

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
On my SNES Classic I patched the ff6 there with the GBA translation and bug fixes, though it doesn't have the extra content. I figure it's %100 ok to patch it since it came on the machine and in not just like downloading it off the internet.

Molto

Oct 27, 2017
What's the best version of Final Fantasy VI?

Simple:

Final Fantasy VI - Ted Woolsey Uncensored Edition
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1386/

This script is the most faithful to the original SNES release. It corrects all censorship, fixes every mistranslated line, and aligns the translation exactly with the original Japanese. And they fixed a bunch of bugs present in the original game!
Yup. Get yourself an SD2SNES and enjoy the definitive version of FFVI on real hardware. It's already out there OP.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
SNES + Brave new world hack is another "best of" contender, thankfully they have stripped down the junk they added with the initial retraslation.

Oct 27, 2017

Simple:

This script is the most faithful to the original SNES release. It corrects all censorship, fixes every mistranslated line, and aligns the translation exactly with the original Japanese. And they fixed a bunch of bugs present in the original game!

This is my preferred version to play as well.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Yeah, terrible situation for such an all-time classic.
In the recent Square survey I asked for a decent port on the Switch.

I replay that game almost every year and I just tend to go for the SNES version. The GBA port seems like it has a great translation but I can't stand the soundtrack downgrade. I also own the Steam version but... Yikes.

Maybe I'm misremembering but I understand that there's a mod for the SNES rom with the GBA translation. Maybe I'll try that next time.
Edit: ah, yeah, it's mentioned in the posts above, haha.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The godawful mobile versions of V and VI are just the most mind-blowing things ever. Like, WHY? No one has an answer. Absolutely NO.ONE.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
I wish Square would re-release these but in the HD 2D engine that octopath is running in. That or I'd love to see a new 4K version with new sprites in a more concept art looking style.

How's the SNES Classic version or the wii shop version?

PhazonBlonde

User requested ban
Banned
May 18, 2018
Somewhere deep in space
Couldn't agree more. The SNES version sucks because of the stupid, goofy translation and all the bugs. The PS1 version sucks because of load times. The GBA one sucks because the music and colors are low quality.

This one needs a remake bad. I'm hoping something along the lines of the Octopath. I'd be fine with something like the Secret of Mana remake look though, or even like Dissidia 012 level. Unfortunately it won't happen any time soon. People often forget VI was not very popular at all in Japan. We're more likely to get a V remake first

Dreamboum

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The best version is FF6 on SNES. The new content of GBA is hardly conclusive or interesting in the first place. You're not missing the full experience because of a few more bosses added that are irrelevant to the story.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
It's honestly a shame that V and VI's mobile/PC ports were so botched in terms of art/UI design. Doubly so, since the first two games and IV showed it can be done well.

The best version is FF6 on SNES. The new content of GBA is hardly conclusive or interesting in the first place. You're not missing the full experience because of a few more bosses added that are irrelevant to the story.
It does have optional bosses that aren't complete pushovers, which is definitely a point for it in my books compared to the SNES original.

Piscus

Oct 27, 2017
Remake in Octopath engine with options for either OG SNES music or an orchestrated soundtrack.

Dreamboum

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It does have optional bosses that aren't complete pushovers, which is definitely a point for it in my books compared to the SNES original.

Yeah for sure but you're not missing on the experience, eh ? They're afterthoughts

FF4 deserved a complete collection because the original looked like shit even back in 1991, FF6 is one of the best looking games of its era. Putting it through the "complete collection" blender would have made the game look worse than what it actually was back in 1994. Same thing for people who claims they want an Octopath style remake, the goal isn't to make it look worse.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still disappointed that FFV and FFVI didn't get the early 3D treatment on DS or 3DS.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Yeah for sure but you're not missing on the experience, eh ? They're afterthoughts

FF4 deserved a complete collection because the original looked like shit even back in 1991, FF6 is one of the best looking games of its era. Putting it through the "complete collection" blender would have made the game look worse than what it actually was back in 1994. Same thing for people who claims they want an Octopath style remake, the goal isn't to make it look worse.
Fair enough. Both Chrono Trigger and Secret of Mana both got ports that kept it's graphics intact, so I guess a FFIV complete style overhaul wouldn't be necessary.

And yeah, while I wouldn't really say the SNES version isn't worth playing (the music alone makes it the more desirable version, given hw important music is to FFVI), it'll always bug me that there isn't a version of the game that at least consolidates the SNES aesthetic quality with the GBA extra stuff. Kinda like how there isn't a "true" definitive version of TMNT: Turtles in Time, if that comparison makes any sense.

Dreamboum

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Fair enough. Both Chrono Trigger and Secret of Mana both got ports that kept it's graphics intact, so I guess a FFIV complete style overhaul wouldn't be necessary.

And yeah, while I wouldn't really say the SNES version isn't worth playing (the music alone makes it the more desirable version, given hw important music is to FFVI), it'll always bug me that there isn't a version of the game that at least consolidates the SNES aesthetic quality with the GBA extra stuff. Kinda like how there isn't a "true" definitive version of TMNT: Turtles in Time, if that comparison makes any sense.

Yeah it's fair.

I liked this idea of getting something like this : http://portbegging.tumblr.com/post/75922986838/port-begging-for-final-fantasy-vi-publisher

tumblr_n0mp8rs21R1to32sto3_1280.png

tumblr_n0mp8rs21R1to32sto6_1280.png

Widescreen FF6, which is what Chrono Trigger steam is getting now

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
I've researched this myself and it's a shame people just don't seem to want to hear it when you say the original translation is dated and doesn't cut it anymore or that even when you patch the gba version it's still full of compromises like no one ever mentions how the visual effects like magic spells in battle take a big hit, constant white noise /hissing sounds and screen crunch makes things a bit too claustrophobic. Gba was not good enough hardware for this game, I wish they would've waited for the DS to port it like chrono trigger. At least by doing that we eventually have a great port of CT on steam where FF6 on steam is also based on the gba version with the gba's screen crunch :/ not to mention the butchered art style.
Anyway, another vote for Ted Woolsey Uncensored Edition. It's the most uncompromised version, I have no attachment or nostalgia to Woolsey's script but this patch makes its readability go way up by removing the grammar errors and improving sentence structure. The bug fixes are good too but it doesn't include stuff like Sword Tech Ready Stance, another patch for the snes version which actually makes Cyans swdtech or bushido ability useful like the steam version did.

Bartend3r

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't it OP? The best game ever made deserves more love. A full remake is what is required. I would play for the 10th time.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
My first time playing was on the he phone. I thought that worked out pretty good. I don't really mind the graphics. But original style really should've been an option.

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
I actually just beat FF6 for this first time last night, playing FFIII on the SNES Classic. I have to agree about the translation, it's so cheesy and terrible it just removes all drama/tension from the story. I still enjoyed the game but it really hampered the experience. I kinda wish I just played the mobile version, I'll take ugly sprites with a better translation... but FF6 was one of the main reasons I got the SNES classic and I didn't want to spend another $15 on top of it.

Oct 27, 2017
FFVI is one of my favorite games ever. I tried sucking it up the other week and playing the Steam version but couldn't do it. It's so ugly, and I'm never the type to not play a game because it's ugly.

But the sprites are just so fucking ugly and jarring to see next to the decent backgrounds and monster sprites. I don't even mind the mobile UI. But those sprites are so terrible.

I remember when FFIV PSP came out, I bitched (and a lot of other people bitched) about the sprites looking like "RPG Maker" quality. Now they look godly in comparison.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland

Simple:

This is what I have on my SNES Classic instead of the stock. I miss some of the stuff I remember from being younger, but the more accurate stuff makes it better for me.