BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
As an important piece of work that echoes our society to this day? Yes.

As my personal favorite? No, that would likely be Battlestar Galactica.

I find it hard to even rewatch The Wire because of how depressing it is.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also it's pretty amazing how the show makes Omar, a gay criminal, into one of the best, most badass characters to ever grace TV. Omar was complex, but fuck that dude was so cool.

"The cheese stands alone."

Like ask anybody who has seen the wire to name their favorite character, and the answer is universally Omar.

LQX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It has sort of died down but I felt so much better about the Wire when there was not this constant push to compare it to everything or exalt its greatness every few months on forums. It is almost as there is some sort of insecurity in regards to its place among other great shows and some have to be reassured of how good it is.

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It's the end of Bubbles arc, in the very last episode.

It's the single most uplifting moment in the entire series.
Still not ringing any bells but personally a lot of this shows characters weren't for me even if i could admire the acting which was always top notch. I just can't get sympathetic when I'm rolling my eyes at their decisions the whole show. Especially when those kids are in the classroom the one season and keep acting like little turds and I'm just like...guys just start caring about anything other than "the game." These characters frustrate me more than make me side with them and then I get frustrated at the politics of it all and how selfish everyone is on the police side but that doesn't make the gangsters abhorrent actions any better so I just end up disliking everyone except stringer and a couple cops (the smart one and the lady i liked). I'm never really tempted to re-watch because of the frustration while watching. It's a little too real. Someone should make a spoof Final episode where a superhero comes in and solves everything and gets all the kids in the projects set straight in one day

But look at the bright side by the time the bubbles actor is in "hand of god" he has made it from the streets to being the city mayor

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love the scene in The Wire where the asshole crooked lawyer is berating Omar about how he profits off of death and drugs and destruction indirectly which makes him an awful person and Omar interrupts him and is like "so do you" and it completely blindsides the lawyer into silence.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
100%. I can rewatch the Wire anywhere, anytime and still catch something new.

Breaking Bad is pretty much a "watch it once then a lot of the suspense/build up is somewhat ruined by knowing what's going to happen"

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Cop dramas? The Shield over Wire easily. The Wire is maybe top 5 but not anywhere top 3.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Still not ringing any bells but personally a lot of this shows characters weren't for me even if i could admire the acting which was always top notch. I just can't get sympathetic when I'm rolling my eyes at their decisions the whole show. Especially when those kids are in the classroom the one season and keep acting like little turds and I'm just like...guys just start caring about anything other than "the game." These characters frustrate me more than make me side with them and then I get frustrated at the politics of it all and how selfish everyone is on the police side but that doesn't make the gangsters abhorrent actions any better so I just end up disliking everyone except stringer and a couple cops (the smart one and the lady i liked). I'm never really tempted to re-watch because of the frustration while watching. It's a little too real. Someone should make a spoof Final episode where a superhero comes in and solves everything and gets all the kids in the projects set straight in one day

But look at the bright side by the time the bubbles actor is in "hand of god" he has made it from the streets to being the city mayor

it sounds like the entire show went over your head, damn.

Like, you don't feel sympathetic at all for the kid who was literally forced out onto the streets by his mother, or the kid who's crackhead mother let the man who molested him move back in?

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
There is not a single anime in history that was, is, or ever will be, better than the best Western television show. FMA: Brotherhood was an incredible watch, but to put it above something like Breaking Bad or Mr. Robot is objectively wrong.

Or The Wire I guess, I've never watched it, but I heard Era say it was good so it's probably good.
Oh yeah that was a joke btw. I mean for me personally I'll watch an anime I love again and again before I ever rewatch the wire or some other super serious show because the heavy vibe is a one time watch.

Mr robot season 2 was really awful though I'm not sure if that qualifies (haven't watched 3 but I don't even remember anything from 2 aside from the big "twist" that I saw a million miles away)

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Top 5 or top 3. It lacks the pure entertainment value of a lot of other shows for it to be my top 1, but it also is elevated for being one of the more grounded and realistic dramas to air on television that touches on so many contemporary issues in America today.

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I saw a lot of the themes they were going for and how they would tackle different aspects of the system and capitalism every season. I just don't personally think more social commentary necessarily makes a show better. If I don't like the characters I'm not gonna care about the commentary and I only liked or cared about (and those are two separate things) a couple characters

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Like, you don't feel sympathetic at all for the kid who was literally forced out onto the streets by his mother, or the kid who's crackhead mother let the man who molested him move back in?
I'm more angry at the parents and then every time those kids are given an opportunity to make things better (and I'm speaking generally from what I remember I don't remember those specific cases youre talking about) they seem angry at the people trying to help and idolize the people running "the game" that caused the situation. I just hate the whole attitude all of them have about ratting on one another being worse than dying or so it would seem

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm more angry at the parents and then every time those kids are given an opportunity to make things better (and I'm speaking generally from what I remember I don't remember those specific cases youre talking about) they seem angry at the people trying to help and idolize the people running "the game" that caused the situation. I just hate the whole attitude all of them have about ratting on one another being worse than dying or so it would seem
The game is the game.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
...every single time someone rats on someone in the show, they wind up dead. No matter how much the police try to help them. In fact, that's basically the running theme in Season 4. You took the exact wrong message from the show. The "people trying to help them" never actually help them. They use them to make the case to better their political careers, then throw them away. Randy, the kid who snitches in Season 4, basically has his entire life destroyed by ratting, because the police don't give a shit. Bubbles, the crack addict, is constantly let down by the people he rats to. Hell, he gets clean in season 1 and is essentially told to go back and do crack to find Kira's shooter. Season 4 is basically a montage of the police ignoring him every time he begs for help after risking his life over and over again for them.

You say "why do they revere the game so much." They don't. They hate the game. They just pay attention to it, because if they don't, they'll be killed. Like the little, little kid in season 1 who is being helped by Wallace in math, when wallace is like "how can you keep points in your head but can't do them on paper?" and the kid is like "because if I get the answer wrong on paper, the teacher doesn't beat my ass half to death."

Just about the only character in the show who truly revers the game is Bodie. and by the time his arc is done, he says he "feels old" at 16. He recognizes, in the end, that he's a pawn. He says, quote, "this game is rigged." They got him to shoot his child hood friend, no questions asked, and threw him away for nothing.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
I've seen almost all of the contenders (The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Six Feet Under, The Shield, etc.) and The Wire is still the best to me. It was one of the most well-written shows ever. Every character has development, even really minor ones. We're talking about dozens and dozens of characters here. It also didn't devolve in some of the non-sense we saw in the later episodes of most of the other shows. The Wire is one of those shows that you can watch two or three times and find new little details you missed the last time. It's also one of the most socially relevant shows of all time. I actually got to watch it when it originally aired during seasons 3-5, so it was also nice to be ahead of the curve. :)

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One thing i felt was pretty gross in the Wire is that Kira never went to help Bubbles after he broke down. You'd think she'd be there for him in Season 5, yet after she declines to go in and talk to him in the psych ward when he's breaking down sobbing, she never spends another scene with him in the entire show. Hell, the last time they actually talk is in like season 3.

out_of_touch

Oct 25, 2017
Without a doubt. However Atlanta is well on its way to being the best as it progresses. Currently watching Twin Peaks season 1, I kinda feel like The Wire was inspired by it

Last edited:

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of the cops are bad actors and I hate pretty much every scene with mcnulty. His american accent is so forced and he has so many teeth and I can't stand him

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
...every single time someone rats on someone in the show, they wind up dead. No matter how much the police try to help them. In fact, that's basically the running theme in Season 4. You took the exact wrong message from the show. The "people trying to help them" never actually help them. They use them to make the case to better their political careers, then throw them away. Randy, the kid who snitches in Season 4, basically has his entire life destroyed by ratting, because the police don't give a shit. Bubbles, the crack addict, is constantly let down by the people he rats to. Hell, he gets clean in season 1 and is essentially told to go back and do crack to find Kira's shooter. Season 4 is basically a montage of the police ignoring him every time he begs for help after risking his life over and over again for them.

You say "why do they revere the game so much." They don't. They hate the game. They just pay attention to it, because if they don't, they'll be killed. Like the little, little kid in season 1 who is being helped by Wallace in math, when wallace is like "how can you keep points in your head but can't do them on paper?" and the kid is like "because if I get the answer wrong on paper, the teacher doesn't beat my ass half to death."

Just about the only character in the show who truly revers the game is Bodie. and by the time his arc is done, he says he "feels old" at 16. He recognizes, in the end, that he's a pawn. He says, quote, "this game is rigged." They got him to shoot his child hood friend, no questions asked, and threw him away for nothing.
Well I did mention the police response pissing me off too. But sometimes they were really trying to help like when the one was a teacher for awhile. Or that one time it was just a bad coincidence and bubbles stopped listening to their excuses after that. So basically I dislike him for giving up and I dislike them for not caring more or trying harder. As I said before not a whole lot of likability except for the couple I mentioned before

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Nah. My take on The Wire has always been that I respect it more than I enjoy it. Structurally it's one of the most complex, impressive achievements in the medium's history but let's not pretend it isn't painfully boring, like a dry documentary, for stretches a time.

1. Mad Men
2. Breaking Bad
3. Deadwood

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
A lot of the cops are bad actors and I hate pretty much every scene with mcnulty. His american accent is so forced and he has so many teeth and I can't stand him
Now this I completely disagree with. Also how does he have too many teeth? I'm pretty sure he has a normal amount?

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Nah. My take on The Wire has always been that I respect it more than I enjoy it. Structurally it's one of the most complex, impressive achievements in the medium's history but let's not pretend it isn't painfully boring, like a dry documentary, for stretches a time.

1. Mad Men
2. Breaking Bad
3. Deadwood
This user just put it far more concisely than me how I feel.

MrToughPants

Oct 30, 2017
The Wire s1-s4 (s5 wasn't that great)
The Sopranos
The X-Files s1-s5
The Shield
Breaking Bad
Deadwood
True Detective s1

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well I did mention the police response pissing me off too. But sometimes they were really trying to help like when the one was a teacher for awhile. Or that one time it was just a bad coincidence and bubbles stopped listening to their excuses after that. So basically I dislike him for giving up and I dislike them for not caring more or trying harder. As I said before not a whole lot of likability except for the couple I mentioned before

It sounds like you can't put yourself in their shoes at all. You have to imagine growing up in that system. Every adult in your entire life has failed you. The school district treats you like numbers instead of actually educating you. They literally train you to pass the exams, and force you forward. The other adults in your life are crooked cops, drug dealers, drug addicts, etc. Why exactly is a kid in the 9th grade going to recognize that this teacher is a "good guy"? Hell, IS the teacher a good guy? He came into the projects drunk just a few seasons ago and beat a kid so badly he lost an eye because "he made me mad." That's the entire point of the show, there is no good guys. Probably the character trying to help the most in Season 4 is there because he just got out of prison from being an enforcer in the drug game. Everybody is bad. Everybody.

You're not supposed to really like the characters. You don't even need to like someone to be sympathetic towards them. You're supposed to be angry, not at a single person, but at it all. The entire system is corrupt. And what they are showing you isn't really made up shit.

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now this I completely disagree with. Also how does he have too many teeth? I'm pretty sure he has a normal amount?

It's an expression and not mean to be taken literally, obviously. People's jaw shapes vary and the amount of teeth exposed when talking/smiling vary accordingly. He has a toothy ass mouth and his accent sucks.

This infamous scene demonstrates all 3. Bad acting, bad accent, too many teeeth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhaZunwvW5o

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It sounds like you can't put yourself in their shoes at all. You have to imagine growing up in that system. Every adult in your entire life has failed you. The school district treats you like numbers instead of actually educating you. They literally train you to pass the exams, and force you forward. The other adults in your life are crooked cops, drug dealers, drug addicts, etc. Why exactly is a kid in the 9th grade going to recognize that this teacher is a "good guy"? Hell, IS the teacher a good guy? He came into the projects drunk just a few seasons ago and beat a kid so badly he lost an eye because "he made me mad." That's the entire point of the show, there is no good guys. Probably the character trying to help the most in Season 4 is there because he just got out of prison from being an enforcer in the drug game. Everybody is bad. Everybody.

You're not supposed to really like the characters. You don't even need to like someone to be sympathetic towards them. You're supposed to be angry, not at a single person, but at it all. The entire system is corrupt. And what they are showing you isn't really made up shit.
I never said it was made up. Being realistic or truthful about social circumstances doesn't make a show better by themselves for me. Like I said it's a bit too real for me and sacrifices entertainment. I admire and respect it but won't be re-watching nor sympathizing completely. Also as a high schooler I could definitely tell which teachers gave a shit or not

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I never said it was made up. Being realistic or truthful about social circumstances doesn't make a show better by themselves for me. Like I said it's a bit too real for me and sacrifices entertainment. I admire and respect it but won't be re-watching nor sympathizing completely. Also as a high schooler I could definitely tell which teachers gave a shit or not

In the end, Prez still taught the curriculum like he was told to. In the end, he still abandoned Dookie when he started doing heroin. Not to mention they all know he's a cop, and for their entire lives, they've only been exposed to crooked cops. You say you could tell which teachers gave a shit in highschool -- did you go to an inner-city highschool like that? If not, it's completely different.

PantherLotus

Oct 27, 2017
Tier III: Mad Men | Breaking Bad | The Wire
Tier II: Better Call Saul | The Crown
Tier I: Game of Thrones

And I'm willing to move BCS and The Crown up -- depending on whether they have as satisfying of a conclusion as the top tier shows. Game of Thrones is great but just has too many flaws to be in this conversation but I do truly enjoy it.

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
In the end, Prez still taught the curriculum like he was told to. In the end, he still abandoned Dookie when he started doing heroin. Not to mention they all know he's a cop, and for their entire lives, they've only been exposed to crooked cops. You say you could tell which teachers gave a shit in highschool -- did you go to an inner-city highschool like that? If not, it's completely different.
I didn't so How so? They conceal their intentions better from 9th graders?

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't so How so? They conceal their intentions better from 9th graders?

The 9th graders themselves are different, because their entire world has been different from the get go. It's seriously incomparable. They are jaded as hell by the time they get to the 9th grade, because literally every adult in their life has failed them. And you know who are the ones who "give a shit" to them early on? It's the drug dealers. Like when the drug dealer comes by and pays for all their school clothing. We are products of the environment we grow up in.

Nightwing123

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely, one of my favorite shows and I 100% put it above The Shield and Breaking Bad (Both are also good shows)

This thread reminds that I need to continue watching Six Feet Under.

Last edited:

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
It's at the very least in the top 5, likely top 3 for many, and a strong argument can be made for GOAT.