Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 23, 2022
I know people tend to point to Spirit Tracks or one of the Warriors games, but I feel like it's weird that we're still asking for playable Zelda when it comes to the main series. Like really consider the amount of games that have beaten that to the punch regarding reoccurring alternative characters. You've played as Luigi, Bowser, Peach, Daisy, Rosalina, Captain Toad, Dark Pit, Meta Knight, Dee Dee Dee, Diddy Kong, Dixie Kong, Coco Bandicoot, Protoman, Bass, Roll, Vergil, Lady, Trish, several women in Assassin's Creed in main entries of those series, but playable Zelda is still out in the void as something that has to be argued for and justified whenever brought up.

Initially I wanted this to be a broader topic about longest wants in gaming, but I feel like this is specific enough.

It's not even like a call out at this point, but it feels like just about every other series, Nintendo's included, has done this to varying degrees of quality, I just don't get how Zelda of all things hasn't done it when it's probably one of the most requested (depending upon the online circle I suppose). Like you were able to play as a woman in GTA (online) before Zelda in a main series games, like, what are we doing here? Is it that hard to justify?

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
No, it's not weird that we're "still asking". But it is weird that they don't give us it though.

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get why Zelda though? Why not just make Link female? I don't really have much interest in dual protagonists in a Zelda game.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
Not necessarily weird.

I think they're caught between a rock and a hard place. The core game mechanics of Zelda revolve around Link's persona and toolset, so they'd either have to dramatically depart from that to make another playable character or effectively make Zelda "girl Link."

Both approaches have risks, so it's not that surprising they're just not taking the risk.

The 28th Hour

Alt Account
Banned
May 27, 2023
who would of thought we would have a playable female protagonist in Grand Theft Auto before Zelda lol

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
It's not really weird at all that Link remains the playable character. Other Nintendo franchises doing it doesn't make it any more weird either.

I think it's more weird that bases think a creative should cater to SOME people asking for a thing. Especially when they're making quality titles in the franchise.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Fuck at this point I'd just take Zelda being along for the adventure like Spirit Tracks (and that game let you control her as well lmao). Genuinely crazy.

Or at the very least I don't think there's any excuse for not having a female link option.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not really. It's an almost entirely single-player series which has never really wavered from its protagonist. She's playable in several spin-offs

KezayJS1

Apr 25, 2021
I think there is definitely a case to be made for it as we've seen instances of a non-playable Zelda having far more scope than being a story driver. Especially after Zelda has been playable in spin off titles. I don't think it's weird though, but I do feel there is far more potential for the character's utility now being playable as the series has continued to evolve.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
man remember when that one guy in that one place did that one thread and then it was pinned or something

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
It'd be weird if Zelda games tended to have multiple playable characters, but they don't. Link is designed to be the "link" to the player. I understand people want a female playable character, and I can see a playable female Link happening, but I think Nintendo views mainstream Zelda games as having more or else an established premise, with Link as playable.

Antipode

Jul 25, 2019
I do find it super weird that Zelda hasn't gotten her own series or spinoff game. I don't find it strange at all that she's not playable in Zelda games.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
You know there is that one fork of the timeline we know barely anything about where Link dies but somehow the Sages led by Zelda manage to seal The Dorf away. You'd think something like that would be a prime candidate for a Zelda game to flesh out that span of time.

But then I think Nintendo might just be done with the Old Timeline.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Link is the star of the games, so it's not weird that we don't randomly get to play as the supporting cast. Plenty of games allow that, plenty don't.

Servbot24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dual protagonists stink. They should make Zelda the only playable character if they do make her playable.

Xelan

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'd settle for her being present through the main quest and not only at the beggining or end of the games.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Aonuma's "but what is link going to do" comment makes me think it's more likely we get girl link.

Zelda will get her own spin-off shortly after the live action film like peach did, but no mainline games on Nintendo's watch 🙅‍♂️

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
idk why they're stuck on Link being a guy more than anything. If that's the mythological hero avatar, who is basically mute/silent protagonist outside of a few exasperations and grunts then it should be easy to have that option. The only reason at this point seems to be some hard headed tradition. Just don't call them Linkle.... that is not a great name.

Last edited:

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
I mean either a playable Zelda or a female Link.

There's no reason Link can't have a gender choice beyond this series simply being sexist as hell.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
At the very least we should have the option to let Link just, be female.

DinoBlaster

Feb 18, 2020
I'm all for female Link, but for Zelda herself I'd prefer a spin-off game. Sheik in a DMC-like action game, or Zelda in a puzzle platformer.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't seem surprising to me that Nintendo isn't responsive to specific fan requests based on their decisions in general, as disappointing as that may be to some. So, I guess it's weird in the context of the larger industry where you have studios who manage official Discords and hire Community Managers, but it doesn't seem weird for Nintendo specifically.

I think we could one day get a customizable Link (that includes gender options) or segments that involve controlling Zelda, and some might argue that the clothing options in BOTW/TOTK are a step in the former's direction. I doubt we'll get one of those "once every 5-6 years" mainline games with Zelda the character as the star, but never say never. A spin-off seems more possible, and as you pointed out, she has already shown up as playable in the spin-offs with multiple playable characters (e.g., Hyrule Warriors and Cadence of Hyrule). It'd be cool to get a Captain Toad-tier or Prince Peach Showtime!-tier game starring Zelda soon, and this seems to me like something Nintendo could pursue in the future. If we get an explosion of Zelda games after the film releases (sort of like what we're seeing with Mario in the year after that film), I could see a Zelda spin-off being one of them.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I mean its whatever to me.

Dont care what the character is as long as the game is fun and enjoyable.

So whenever a new Zelda game gets announced, Link's appearance or who the main character is the least important factor to me.

Apr 20, 2022
It's not weird to ask, I'd like to play as Zelda considering how prominent she has been for the last few games and extremely important lore wise in certain games, but as the zelda team has said it's hard to fit Zelda as a main character and have some sort of role for Link. Essentially he loses all of what makes him such a popular character - the fact we plays as him. Take that away and you got a mute dude with no personality and little to no screen time. I guess she could have a very different playstyle like more magic based so Link isnt needed as much or maybe a dual progatnist game so both can shine.

The gender bent Link idea is stupid AF. Why turn a famous and existing character into a girl for no reason other than so you can have a girl for an entry when Zelda, a girl, is literally right there?

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
The gender bent Link idea is stupid AF. It's just pandering. Why turn a famous and existing character into a girl for no reason other than so you can have a girl for an entry when Zelda, a girl, is literally right there?

Its not "gender bent" when its an option that has no reason to not exist. Its not the same incarnation in most of the games so nothing is being "bent". Famous and existing character isn't even true, like Link has been so many different people of different ages and different artstyles. "incarnation of a legendary hero" is basically the main recurring premise, which means you can do just about anything with it.

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
Link is boring, honestly I'd rather play as a pretty large portion of random NPCs over him

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
If I wanted something in a franchise and said franchise refuses to do it or acknowledge it, I wouldn't keep playing each new game I tell you that

We want Zelda to be playable!
Nintendo indirectly: no
Ok *buys latest game*, I'll be back next time grr

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
It's not weird to ask, I'd like to play as Zelda considering how prominent she has been for the last few games and extremely important lore wise in certain games, but as the zelda team has said it's hard to fit Zelda as a main character and have some sort of role for Link. Essentially he loses all of what makes him such a popular character - the fact we plays as him. Take that away and you got a mute dude with no personality and little to no screen time. I guess she could have a very different playstyle like more magic based so Link isnt needed as much or maybe a dual progatnist game so both can shine.

The gender bent Link idea is stupid AF. Why turn a famous and existing character into a girl for no reason other than so you can have a girl for an entry when Zelda, a girl, is literally right there?
every link is a different character though. Why wouldn't some incarnations be girls?
If I wanted something in a franchise and said franchise refuses to do it or acknowledge it, I wouldn't keep playing each new game I tell you that

We want Zelda to be playable!
Nintendo indirectly: no
Ok *buys latest game*, I'll be back next time grr
"Boycott it or stop asking" is a strange stance, I don't think you've hit on anything here

Apr 20, 2022
its not "gender bent" when its an option that has no reason to not exist. Its not even the same incarnation in most of the games so nothing is being "bent".
Link has always been male, Zelda female, Ganondorf male, Impa female, Rauru male and so on. There's no rule that says they don't have to be set but those are what genders they've always been for the last 30 years so it's expected to be the same for those characters. It's definitely gender bent. I mean by your logic there's no rule or lore reason why Hyrule can't be set on mercury, Zelda is a tentacle alien, Link is a giraffe and Ganondorf is a washing machine so long as they use the usual story of link and Zelda must destroy Ganondorf and save the world but obviously most fans wouldn't be down with that at all as there's no connection to any Zelda conventions

Besides like I said Zelda is there, she has much much more reason to be a main female character lorewiese, powerset wise, popularity wise. Why ignore her and possibly relegate her to bed rescuing just to create a new one

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Link has always been male, Zelda female, Ganondorf male, Impa female, Rauru male and so on. There's no rule that says they don't have to be set but those are what genders they've always been for the last 30 years so it's expected to be the same for those characters. It's definitely gender bent. I mean by your logic there's no rule or lore reason why Hyrule can't be set on mercury, Zelda is a tentacle alien, Link is a giraffe and Ganondorf is a washing machine so long as they use the usual story of link and Zelda must destroy Ganondorf and save the world but obviously most fans wouldn't be down with that at all as there's no connection to any Zelda conventions

Besides like I said Zelda is there, she has much much more reason to be a main female character lorewiese, powerset wise, popularity wise. Why create a new one

Rauru is now a goat-person, unrelated to the other canons for the character. They don't care about what has always been (in some ways), like the triforce isn't even relevant any more. Even if they kept the wisdom/courage/power triforce incarnation stuff there is no good reason to have to stick with doing the same old shit.

The slippery slope shit with tentacle aliens and washing machines is just gonna be ignored because you're not serious.

oty

Feb 28, 2023
nope, not weird at all to still ask. in fact, still ask is sort of how we can somehow make it clear to Nintendo that a portion of the fanbase would like that

but also, not weird that Nintendo hasn't done it yet. it's one of their flagship franchises and Link has always been the front and center. Again, I don't necessarily think that they are against making a female protagonist, they are against making any protagonist that just isn't *Link*. Pretty sure they made that clear before

Zelda just isn't like Mario to Miyamoto, Aonuma and co. To them, Link is the only possible choice and I mean....their franchise so eh

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
I want to play a game as Ganondorf.

It is a little weird though how close to every secondary Mario character has their own games, but the Zelda series is limited.

Apr 20, 2022
Rauru is now a goat-person, unrelated to the other canons for the character. They don't care about what has always been, like the triforce isn't even relevant any more. Even if they kept the wisdom/courage/power triforce incarnation stuff there is no good reason to have to stick with doing the same old shit.

The slippery slope shit with tentacle aliens and washing machines is just gonna be ignored because you're not serious.
Rauru is still male though.

I was being dramatic but my point stands. If you remove the very basics like who caharcters are then what's the point of any sort continuity between games. If anything is mutable then there nothing to define what a Zelda, or any other series, is. You might as well take the next Halo, slap on the zelda name and call it day

You still ignore the big elephant in the room this thread is about and I brought up twice - Zelda herself could easily the playable female character.